N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I often wish I was an intellectual but I am neither smart enough nor educated enough to be one. I worship intelligence way too much.
Why this topic? There is a German TV show where leading journalists discuss current topics. Usually they also let users speak through their phones. One time one viewer said something like "I expect more of you as some intellecuals that shape debates." He called the journalists intellectuals and I had to chuckle about that. I strongly doubt that one should call journalists intellectuals.

But it made me think. There are many public intellectuals. And maybe that is an oxymoron. Because the "intellectuals" who aim for a large audience seem to be often frauds and have shallow knowledge on the topics they share their opinion. But who am I to judge that. Many real scientists only laugh about them or get angry when you talk about them. Personally I would not say that every public intellectual is shallow but you can clearly tell there are clearly people who do it for attention, fame and money.

Here are some answers I found on the internet what the definition of an intellectual is.

Wikipedia:
"An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, and who proposes solutions for the normative problems of society. Coming from the world of culture, either as a creator or as a mediator, the intellectual participates in politics, either to defend a concrete proposition or to denounce an injustice, usually by either rejecting or producing or extending an ideology, and by defending a system of values"

To be honest I have the feeling that with this definition most journalists are rather anti-intellectuals. I think many journalists are rather sheep and behave like a herd.

appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
of or relating to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers.
possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, especially to a high degree:an intellectual person.

noun

a person of superior intellect.
a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level.
an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings.

I don't have much sophisticated to say. The smartest person I ever met clearly an intellectual hated me and found me extremely annyoing. Though I have met other very intelligent people who had a better chemistry with me.

Which notion do you have of intellectuals? Or is this a buzz word without real meaning? And one should avoid all people who claim themselves to be intellectuals?

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I just think: Stephen Fry but maybe that's because I'm not an intellectual. I think the word can have negative connotations- snobbery, elitism etc. Still- for me- it is someone with an obvious thirst for knowledge, an astounding capacity for remembering facts and the ability to articulate themselves well. They seem to easily (and sometimes comically) outwit everyone else in the room.

Yes- I agree- I wouldn't describe the majority of journalists as intellectuals- still- I suppose some of them might be.

Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
Wikipedia:
"An intellectual is a person who engages in critical thinking, research, and reflection about the reality of society, and who proposes solutions for the normative problems of society. Coming from the world of culture, either as a creator or as a mediator, the intellectual participates in politics, either to defend a concrete proposition or to denounce an injustice, usually by either rejecting or producing or extending an ideology, and by defending a system of values"
I don't know if I agree with that definition, sounds more like a polemicist. I think there are intellectuals who are quick to grasp ideas and are eager for knowledge, yet choose a profession like teaching rather than proposing their own ideas as solutions for society's ills. Then there are artist types whose ideologies and criticisms aren't so concrete and direct. I can't really think of a definition for intellectual though, it seems to me like a useful shorthand word to describe people but not that interesting in and of itself.