what linux distro should i try

• Total voters
T90-Alpha

T90-Alpha

Hopeless
Apr 21, 2022
i have to wipe my hard drive clean, which distro do you think i should try out
(i am an advanced-intermediate linux user- i have been using Fedora for a while now)

Reactions: °Celsuis_Caesar, FractalTears and Al Cappella
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
It depends what you use/need your system for. If it's general/internet/school use and you can stomach borking your system—then Arch is a great way to learn even more. It's best feature, by far, is that you control exactly what goes on to your system. All the other distros (there is an Ubuntu minimal now) include a crapload of stuff you may not need.

The problem with Arch is that you will bork your system, just a matter of when. Not a problem if you have things backed up. You will also spend a lot of time chasing down issues. But you probably know that already. The best thing about Arch is the wiki—even non-Arch folks use it.

If you want a set it and forget it system, then Mint. I've used Mint for years, only recently replacing it with Pop_OS, because it natively supports my newer Nvidia card. Based on Ubuntu/Debian, there will be some differences from Fedora of course. Same with Arch.

Ubuntu is a pain in the ass, I've found. It's the gnome desktop (which Pop_OS has too), which does dodgy things like throw systemctl errors that are known but never fixed.

Desktop, whether Arch or Mint, I like Cinnamon. With Arch you can give yourself any desktop you like, from KDE to Xfce.

I've never used Gentoo or Debian

• Informative
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, whatevs and FractalTears
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Mint. Whats wrong with fedora?

Reactions: Al Cappella and FractalTears
FractalTears

FractalTears

Feb 4, 2022
Big fan of mint, its like Ubuntu but has a more modern ui and has a few privacy tweaks. Imo it's simple and straightforward.

Reactions: Al Cappella
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
Here are some others to think about.
Oracle Linux
CentOS
Scientific Linux
openSUSE

°Celsuis_Caesar

°Celsuis_Caesar

Sanctioned Suicide is well worth a mass
Jan 10, 2022
I choose other distro… specifically I personally think you should probably get a Knowledge Navigator (NAVI) with the Copland Operating System (OS) released by the ones made by Tachibana General Laboratories, Now that's power, Ma man!

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm biased towards Ubuntu with Gnome as it looks really nice but it does have some absurd bugs like being unable to copy and paste folders/files in certain situations with the GUI.

Mint looks pretty bad but they say is simple and dependable. You can always tweak the appearance and widgets.

Currently I only use Windows because of work. Sucks.