What is your relationship with chronic suicidality?

• Choosing suicide (determined to die when the right method is available)

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Managing chronic suicidality (beyond hope of recovery, but trying to survive until a certain time)

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Trying to recover from chronic suicidality

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Not currently chronically suicidal

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Anonymous poll. Feel free to elaborate in the comments.

(Edit: I'm thinking maybe this should actually be moved to the Suicide Discussion forum.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ColorlessTrees
Toxic Positivity

Toxic Positivity

At my own pace
Feb 11, 2022
Suicide and a life worth living are like a place where a river forks off two ways, and I feel like there are two of me, one swimming along in each direction. At times I jump between the version of myself that is trying to live well and the version of myself that is determined to die. There is a lot of whiplash jumping between these two selves.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, katagiri83 and Nolan96
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I feel like I've lived most of my life in a moribund state: not fully invested in living, one eye on suicide.

I think that state perpetuated itself, as the half-in/half-out attitude kept me from taking my own life seriously enough to improve my mental health. I let momentum carry me rather than making changes.

Now, in my mid-50s, chances are gone. Possibilities atrophied.

Chronic suicidality becomes its own disease.

• Love
Reactions: Capsaicin78, Ainsley, ColorlessTrees and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm trying to survive until a certain time. I was hoping it would be until around September or October of this year but I might have to suffer a little longer just for Pokémon Gen 9. I hate how such a meaningless trifle is enough to want to keep me alive in spite of my suffering and I am aware that such privilege is only making me more of an asshole who needs to be killed yesterday…

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Toxic Positivity and Nolan96
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Toxic Positivity and Nolan96
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
trying to find a peaceful accessible method

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees and Nolan96
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my case I have never wanted to live and I never will. Every day I want to leave this world. I am only still alive because suicide is so difficult, for me there is a lack of peaceful and reliable way to exit and there is the fear of failure. Suicide is certainly my choice and all I want is to sleep forever. I just wish it was easier to end all the suffering.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: member1, Ainsley, Rogue Proxy and 3 others
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
trending towards recovery, snapping back to suicidality when my life becomes too hard

Reactions: Nolan96
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Am I chronically suicidal if I want to die only for about 2 hours a day?
I've enabled vote-changing so you'll just have to keep your poll response updated accordingly.

In all seriousness I feel similarly and hesitated between voting "managing" and voting "trying to recover". I hope your suicidal feelings happen less and less often. Recovery takes time.
I think that state perpetuated itself, as the half-in/half-out attitude kept me from taking my own life seriously enough to improve my mental health. I let momentum carry me rather than making changes.
I'm really trying to avoid this. I try to be a good plan-maker in my moments of relative emotional buoyancy so that when I revert to auto-pilot in my low moments I don't screw things up for myself even worse. It's still hard to find the energy though. And that can turn into an emotional vicious cycle too: Winding and winding yourself up and hoping to see yourself go far and then watching as the automoton takes 3 steps and exhausts itself.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Toxic Positivity
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I hope your suicidal feelings happen less and less often. Recovery takes time.

There's no full recovery from my traumas.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: katagiri83, Toxic Positivity and Nolan96
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
The same reason that makes my life never quite worth living is the one that also prolongs it unnecessarily. I don't believe I can recover. I don't believe my existence will stop being defined by failure, humiliation and suffering. There is only one good thing in my life but I fear that I have detracted from its true potential. The sooner I die the better but I know that the coward in me will drag it out in a long ugly smelly skid mark.

• Hugs
WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
Not chronic, not really suicidal, manic at times, very high highs and very low lows. Most of the lows are triggered by work. High stress and lots of responsibility. Sometimes I wanna blow my brains out, but I could tell my boss fuck this shit I'm out and that would solve all my problems. But then what about the bills? So I'm stuck.

• Hugs
Reactions: OldWrldBlues, ColorlessTrees and Nolan96
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
Regardless of what I want, I will be here for a bit; I am overly cautious, so without foolproof circumstances I can't CTB. I will hang myself someday, whether it be in three months, three years, or three decades.

If I had everything I wanted, I'd still CTB. From a very young age, I've accepted that I would die by suicide. For one, it puts the ultimate control in my hands, and it keeps my dignity in tact—providing I don't die of a health complication first, I can prevent degeneration of my body before I'm elderly and dependent. And sicker. And most importantly uglier.

My best case scenario is living until about 45-50, and my tolerable scenario if I can get a hold of my life will be to die around 30-35. So long as I can function, hold a job, attain a few cosmetic procedures and manage my health, I'm good until then. (Unlikely, tbh) Most likely, I'll still be a NEET by 23 and if I'm not enrolled in anything then I will attempt to get around my living situation to off myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: Nolan96, Élégie, Rogue Proxy and 2 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Tried suicide many times and have many scars to prove it, my last one I took 3k plus stiches. That was more than 2 years ago, haven't felt the urge anymore since I started my meds.

• Hugs
OldWrldBlues

OldWrldBlues

Jan 8, 2022
been bouncing between option two and one since i was a kid. i tried playing it out and seeing if things got better. and they simply didn't, they actually got drastically worst. now that i have the money and resources to go through with it. its just a matter of doing it.

• Hugs
Reactions: cyanol and Nolan96
Ainsley

Ainsley

chronic thought wanderer
Feb 8, 2022
I use the fact that I could end my own life as a coping mechanism. I am too scared to follow through, but I am unfulfilled in every sector of my life and no matter what options I explore, nothing seems to help it improve significantly enough to outweigh the desire to just end it all. Yet the fear of pain at the end keeps me here, so I slog through life, day in and day out. I simply endure what I can and disassociate through what I cannot. Rinse and repeat (for now).

• Hugs