N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today was the first day I listened to an AI song. I listened to two Lil Peep songs and many in the comments wrote that these were the best ones they found so far. They were okay in my opnion. Maybe they would have got me in case I did not knew it. I am pretty bad at rating music. The ethical apsects of this seem to be interesting. One of my friends told me he would never touch such a thing. I am not sure how long his stamina will last. If the AI improves even faster and becomes better and better I think AI music could become a huge industry and part of this art form. I had another discussion with my friends on AI voice actors. They said it is horrible for the humans who will lose their job. I mean new technologies always created new jobs and made other ones obsolete. They said it will destroy art. Here again I am not that much into art. I let chatGPT write a David Foster Wallace short story and it was horrendous. Completely trash. Though I think mainstream music could be easier to be replaced.

AI music from dead musicians do you consider that unethically? I am rather apathetic towards it. I don't know I have bigger issues than that in real life. I have not thought a lot about it. Maybe there will always be a bitter feeling of soulless art when we will listen to AI music. Though I could imagine if it becomes insanely good many people will become more open towards it.

There is also the debate who owns the rights of these songs. I read in a very thoughful science text that chatGPT is one of the biggest thefts in human history. Because it used so many data without its permission and noone could stop it. There was a comparison to the theft of privacy rights and data which was done by Facebook, Apple etc.

I think this technology has a huge potential. So far I am not very convinced by the produced songs to be honest. But from what I have heard the quality of the songs improved in a very short time.

Maybe you can add more knowledge than me to this conversation?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
It turns out one of my favorite Lil Peep song actually is an AI remake. I am stunned. The guy who created it explicitly described it as that. But someone else reposted it without that label. I am quite impressed. I am ambivalent on it as a product. I sort of feel tricked on the other hand side I look forward to new AI remakes of Lil Peep songs of that quality. If an artist is dead there is still a chance for new content that way. Also if it is very ethically questionable.

AsexualArgonianBard

AsexualArgonianBard

Dec 11, 2023
I feel the same way about AI-generated art and writings as I do about AI-generated 'music.' My two cents?

It's not real art, writing, or music. AI is absolutely a useful tool, and I believe that anyone who doesn't use it is doing themselves a disservice. However, it should never be used as a substitution for real, hand-made works crafted by talented artists and musicians. All art made by AI is merely a blended carbon copy of media which already exists. To do so, it uses intellectual property which doesn't belong to it, essentially stealing the styles of human artists. And it does all this in a matter of minutes, sometimes seconds. It's a bit of a spit in the face to the artists who dedicated years of their lives to mastering their craft.

Now, both my profile picture and banner are AI-generated, so what's the deal, man!? Well, as I said before, AI is a tool, and a tool is meant to be used. I believe it is perfectly acceptable to use AI-generated art, writings, or even music to give you ideas, or to serve as a visual/auditory placeholder for the real work to come. It can be a great way to get ideas, inspiration, or references. Again, though, it will never and should never have more value than real works made by real people. Also, any and every use of AI-generated art should be explicitly stated, just the same as you should always credit a real artist. Claiming AI-generated art as your own as is just as distasteful to me as claiming a real person's art as your own.

But, take all this with a grain of salt. I'm just an asexual Argonian bard.