L

lethargic

Jul 14, 2023
I recently learned that the vast majority of evidence now suggests that the universe's final ultimate outcome is heat death. That means: all existing energy has been dispersed to the point where performing any kind of work is no longer possible. What this means is an eternally stagnant universe where nothing happens ever again and is in a permanent, final state. I used to think that the big crunch theory was the one and it always made so much comfortable sense to me, but nope, most of our evidence now suggests that the infinitely looping universe theory is not correct.

And this bothers the fuck out of me. Why are we here? Why here, why now? Does this bother anyone else? If the universe is a finite, temporary thing to exist, and once it ends, it ends for good, why are we here now? How do you explain this? If it's not a loop, why am I here and why now? Where the fuck did the universe suddenly come from, if it's not just a loop put into place? If it's not a loop, why am I here and why now? In an abstract grand scheme of things, a finite thing in an infinite concept is analogous to a limit function where the function's value approaches zero. The finite thing does not exist at all.

And here I am. I have never been religious but suddenly this is really, really bothering me. What is your life philosophy? How do you cope with this?

• Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I've never been religious or spiritual, I used to try and understand the world in a deterministic or mechanistic way but the more I did there more I learned that the world behaves irrationally. Now I just think things are strange and random and we will never figure it out, not in my lifetime anyway.

Nlis2244

Nlis2244

Alone
May 13, 2022
I'm not bothered by these existential questions. We are just matter and energy that blended together and took a certain shape at a certain time, that will soon disperse again, and nothing that we was will have mattered. It's conforting to know that the cosmos is so big, and will last for so long, that nothing bad that happens on Earth will have mattered.

CH349

CH349

Aug 5, 2023
And this bothers the fuck out of me. Why are we here? Why here, why now? Does this bother anyone else? If the universe is a finite, temporary thing to exist, and once it ends, it ends for good, why are we here now?
I like to think that life is like a movie that we were there to catch. Why is the movie there? To entertain people. Some people love the movie and some people hate it (in which I think the people who hate it should have the right to leave the cinema).

It seems, as humans we are wrong about alot of things in life. And as we broaden our horizon, perhaps we will learn new things about the universe which contradicts what we already assumed to be true. I don't think our tiny little ape brain will solve the mysteries of the universe, atleast not for awhile.

• Love
Reactions: Morana, skepsis and Superdeterminist
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I recently learned that the vast majority of evidence now suggests that the universe's final ultimate outcome is heat death. That means: all existing energy has been dispersed to the point where performing any kind of work is no longer possible. What this means is an eternally stagnant universe where nothing happens ever again and is in a permanent, final state. I used to think that the big crunch theory was the one and it always made so much comfortable sense to me, but nope, most of our evidence now suggests that the infinitely looping universe theory is not correct.

And this bothers the fuck out of me. Why are we here? Why here, why now? Does this bother anyone else? If the universe is a finite, temporary thing to exist, and once it ends, it ends for good, why are we here now? How do you explain this? If it's not a loop, why am I here and why now? Where the fuck did the universe suddenly come from, if it's not just a loop put into place? If it's not a loop, why am I here and why now? In an abstract grand scheme of things, a finite thing in an infinite concept is analogous to a limit function where the function's value approaches zero. The finite thing does not exist at all.

And here I am. I have never been religious but suddenly this is really, really bothering me. What is your life philosophy? How do you cope with this?
I can understand the distress about these questions, having experienced it myself. Is an infinite loop any better though? It could be viewed as similarly meaningless if everything happens infinitely and therefore each individual experience means nothing. Plus you would still only know your present experience anyway. The thought of infinitely repeating suffering also scares me. I think anything could be scary or comforting depending on your state of mind.

My personal experience is that I eventually get tired of thinking about these things and give up trying to figure it out. I think it is just my brain creating anxiety out of nothing, which eventually fades into the background like everything else. We don't really understand anything anyway. I'm not aware of all the latest research, but there's definitely not a consensus on the final outcome. Even if there was, what if there's still something bigger than the observable universe? Does it matter when there's nothing we can do about it anyway? So to answer the question, I guess my outlook is some form of nihilism. But I will still panic over these questions from time to time due to Shit Brain Syndrome.

Reactions: carac
Yuri Yurovich

Yuri Yurovich

just another sad guest on this dark earth
Jun 19, 2022
Personally, these ultimate questions seem to me beside the point: heat death of the universe, big crunch, what difference does it make? This might happen to the universe, but it is not going to happen to any conscious being (by the time heat death occurs, life will not have occurred for millions of years--no energy flow to sustain it).

Consider this: you live in a house, or apartment, or whatever now, right? If you learned that it was going to be bulldozed tomorrow, you would be upset, because tomorrow you will have the problem of how to get on in life without a house. That would suck.

But this is probably not the first house (etc.) you have lived in--so now go back and think about those places. Maybe some have been torn down or bulldozed, or you could imagine that they have. How bothered are you? There might be one or two precious houses you remember for personal reasons, but chances are you generally accept that such things come to an end at some point, even if it's a bit sad.

Why don't you argue that if your current and/or previous houses don't last forever, then what is the point in living in any house? Why not despair of the finitude of temporary houses?

Because (I suggest) this line of thought forces you to think about the point of living in a house in more everyday terms. Even if every house you ever lived in has been destroyed, the reason you live in the house you do now is that it provides a good base to go out and get on with life. You can keep stuff there, you can hide there, you can get shelter there. That's why you live in a house. It's got nothing to do with the ultimate fate of houses.

I imagine the relevant application of this line of reason is obvious. If we lived in a universe where we had to spend all our time dodging gamma rays, it would make sense to ask "why the hell are we living here?" but only if there was somewhere else to go. But we don't live there, we live in a basically comfy place (as the universe goes) with the leisure of wondering about what it all means. It may not last forever, but you aren't going to live here forever anyway.

This doesn't address all the why? questions about life, the universe and everything. But being able to ask a question doesn't force the universe to cough up an answer. And worrying about the answer to a question with no answer is futile. So ask yourself, can I really expect an answer to these questions? What kind of universe would I have to live in for there to be answer to all the questions?

Religion comes up, as it usually does. But the 'answer' given by believers is usually worse than no answer. Why? Because God has a plan. Oh, great--so what does the plan say? Well, no one knows really, but God loves us and we are sure he has a plan for us. But why am I here, why now? God knows, but he wants you to figure it out for yourself, by living. But I tried figuring it out and I got stuck on the heat death of the universe! Can't I at least get a hint? Now the reply branches in a bunch of different ways: a) Don't make selfish demands of god! b) God did tell you, but you weren't listening. c) You'll understand eventually if you believe and just keep living. d) You'll know for sure when you stop sinning. None of these is any better than avoiding admitting ignorance.

But even if believers gave you a specific answer and could describe a reasonable plan, it might not help you anyway. If there is a divine plan, it is full of billions of moving parts---some are big important cogs, some are much smaller, less important cogs. It might be exciting to be one of the big cogs, but what are your chances? Mostly likely, you are a tiny cog in the plan, exactly like millions of others, that will turn till it breaks and be ground to nothing. Was that really what you had in mind? Would that answer to your "why?" help?

So I guess my suggestion would be to try thinking more practically or more concretely. Imagine whatever universe ending you can think of, and then ask, what does that actually say about my individual life? If you don't just jump to despair, you will see that it is a big stretch to think it says anything about your individual life, or even the whole human species. So turn your attention to your individual life: most things don't matter much to you, but a few things matter very much to you--family, friends, pets, school, job, career, etc. And when you ask, "what does it all matter?" remember to also ask "why isn't 'it matters to me' a good enough answer?" There might not be any other answer.

Last edited: