Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
Ok so a few threads lately have got me thinking.......(Don't laugh, it happens from time to time) Though i can't promise it will make any sense.

I read you folks talk of survival instinct, how to overcome it, how it stops you, and i just don't get it, it's like some alien concept that makes no sense to me, if you have the instinct to survive then you are not yet ready or at peace with the whole thing, to me it looks like you are battling with yourselves, trying to overcome a part of human nature, i dunno which is why i'm asking i guess.

I know that i have lived a self destructive life, even when not suicidal i still have a complete disinterest in my own safety, i just don't care enough, i started off life not giving a toss about something being painless or pleasant, as long as it worked i didn't care if it was gonna hurt along the way. Then as i got a bit older i had this nice idea of dying comfortably, now i am back to 'whatever' as long as it kills me.

Judge me if you wish as someone who cannot have been serious about the above if i am still here, still hanging around on these forums, not willing to go with the idea that i have to be impulsive to really want to die. I am seriously too old for that shit. The only reason that i am still here (apart from the god thing that shrink tried to pull) is the same reason why other people are not, the randomness of the universe, thats all folks....

Reactions: Iman, Jon, therhydler and 5 others
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
I don't understand it neither

Reactions: therhydler, Lifeisatrap, Deafsn0w and 2 others
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
Whats survival instinct?

When you your helium tanks are prepared also your exit bag, but your arms and hand refuse to take action.

Or if you have prepared everything for full suspension hanging but you legs dont move and your rational mind has no explanation.

Reactions: crova, goxua, therhydler and 6 others
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
I go for partial suspension hanging, everything is depending on SI now. SI is the problem.

Reactions: therhydler, Lifeisatrap, 21Neberg and 2 others
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

shambling garbage
Jan 24, 2019
There's no human out there without any sort of survival instinct, otherwise you'd be already dead a long time ago...

It's like being born asexual, that doesn't preclude feeling any kind of sexuality at some point of life.

Since it's final most people struggle because of uncertainty or because of fear what pain to expect or what to expect from afterlife...
I won't have any struggle drinking a deadly cocktail, but as soon as it starts to kick in I could get uncertain feelings like I get when taking a psychoactive that starts operating very slowly and I regret taking it, but that fear just flows away after some time, same will be when I'm going but I'll prepare myself with some anxiolytics and catching the perfect not-so-fast-changing mood to do it

Reactions: goxua, therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 5 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
There's no human out there without any sort of survival instinct, otherwise you'd be already dead a long time ago...

It's like being born asexual, that doesn't preclude feeling any kind of sexuality at some point of life.

Since it's final most people struggle because of uncertainty or because of fear what pain to expect or what to expect from afterlife...
I won't have any struggle drinking a deadly cocktail, but as soon as it starts to kick in I could get uncertain feelings like I get when taking a psychoactive that starts operating very slowly and I regret taking it, but that fear just flows away after some time, same will be when I'm going but I'll prepare myself with some anxiolytics and catching the perfect not-so-fast-changing mood to do it

Thats my problem, i beg to differ, i have never had any sense of fear of failure, or that what i'm about to do might hurt. As for afterlife, never even considered there is such a thing so again nothing to fear. To me they all just sound like stuff your brain focus's on if you are not at peace & accepting that this is the only way.

So no please don't make statements about there being no human without any sort of survival instinct because you don't know & as i said judge me if you wish then i will ignore your assumption, but suggest you learn a little more first.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and 3 others
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

shambling garbage
Jan 24, 2019
So no please don't make statements about there being no human without any sort of survival instinct because you don't know & as i said judge me if you wish then i will ignore your assumption, but suggest you learn a little more first.

So you're telling me you never walked on the street bothering if some car rushes over right now? If u won't have any survival instinct u won't even swallow or breathe.

I don't know since I don't feel that way, I also can't see any reason to judge anyone, but I don't think I have to 'learn a little more first' since I just wrote down my opinion of things based on some logical thinking, not implying that it's impossible to nearly have no survival instinct at all.

But I think if there's NOTHING like that inside your brain then u would be dead by the hour you were born. Or by the moment u have to interact with our 'futuristic' environment...or you have tons of luck to survive that long. :)

Reactions: crova, therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
I guess there are people born with a weak SI.

Reactions: therhydler, Lifeisatrap, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
As it happens i have a bad habit of crossing roads without giving a toss & i think survival instinct in the context of what i was asking does not include dumb stuff like swallowing or breathing that are done by the brainstem and as such cannot be controlled, anymore than i could think really, really hard and make my heart stop.

I was asking a question, i don't need to be told what i am or am not, i know that already. Thanks anyway.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
SI instinct is more things like running away from danger, not able to ingest somerhing the subconciousness knows its dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: therhydler, Lifeisatrap, Deafsn0w and 2 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
I'm one of those people who would wander in the direction of danger, & the wheelchair & all that goes with is sadly a reminder that i will do things if my subconscious knows its dodgy.

But genuinely thank you for helping me to understand.

boredtodeath

boredtodeath

background noise
Jul 13, 2018
for me my survival instinct isnt a concious decision that i make (I dont think "I actually want to live") its just there because our bodies dont want us to die. like if you try drowning yourself, or choking yourself to death, even if you really want to die, you wont be able to do it because its our brain that ultimately controls us, and like i said, our brain wants to keep the body alive.

hope this helped

Reactions: therhydler, Lifeisatrap, Letmego. Please and 3 others
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

shambling garbage
Jan 24, 2019
Letmego. Please said:
it happens i have a bad habit of crossing roads without giving a toss

Well, that's nothing unusual for depressed people.

Letmego. Please said:
So no please don't make statements about there being no human without any sort of survival instinct because you don't know

i think survival instinct in the context of what i was asking does not include dumb stuff like swallowing or breathing that are done by the brainstem and as such cannot be controlled, anymore than i could think really, really hard and make my heart stop.

I know enough to say that your first post is unreal for me and that you should know that there are ppl that display the exact opposite of behaviour you stated about them in your post. I don't get what your question is, no you're not the only guy here who really gives a fuck. We do too. But most of us wouldn't walk into a sword if there's a sword next to us, cause we know it's hell of a pain and even a car accident would be more satisfying than overstimulating pain from a blade. Pain is deterrent, that's why some of us want to die and not suffer more and maybe survive that car crash or jump to suffer way more. I still don't get your question, you answered it on yourself in your first post, people are not ready or still have things in their heart they wish to accompish or finish to not leave a mess for their beloved ones. others are just afraid cause their choice will be final and they struggle if it's the right thing or maybe the biggest mistake.

I'm one of those people who would wander in the direction of danger

Well if you walk deliberately into the direction of danger rather than just walking your way without thinking then you're just suicidal, maybe even subconsciously suicidal, instead of disinterested in looking after yourself.
Oh wait, you don't like to be told what you are, then just forget this.

Reactions: crova, therhydler, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
people are not ready or still have things in their heart they wish to accompish or finish to not leave a mess for their beloved ones. others are just afraid cause their choice will be final and they struggle if it's the right thing or maybe the biggest mistake.

Cheers, that sort of answer was really all i was after, like i said i don't understand so i was asking. We are all different after all :-)

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and 4 others
lemmeeleev

lemmeeleev

Still here
Nov 29, 2018
The survival instinct is controlled by your body, not you. If you've hanged yourself full suspension, your body will fight against it no matter how ready or how much you think you want to die.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and 6 others
R

retarddd

Aug 10, 2018
Most of the time my attempts get stopped because I get worried someone will come in to "save" the day, I probably have a survival instinct but it isnt the reason i fail

21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Most of the time my attempts get stopped because I get worried someone will come in to "save" the day, I probably have a survival instinct but it isnt the reason i fail
If you attempt in a hotel room you don't have to worry about this.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and 1 other person
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
It's the last thing you have to overcome before you can finally enjoy the sweet release of death - your physical body refusing to do what you want to end your life.

Reactions: Mylifeispointless, therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
Jiva

Jiva

I want ...
Nov 18, 2018
I made the mistake, that firstly i tried kill myself by partial. It was painful and i interrupted it. It is better do it without a back door (without any way to escape). Happy, who do it successfully at first time. First time it is more easy.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and 2 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
Thank you to you fine people, i think i am beginning to understand @Memento Mori Sorry i really wasn't trying to get into an argument, was trying to understand something that i may have answered myself in my first musing of what it might be to people, but that was just a guess on my part, i had no idea if it was remotely right.

I know i cannot change the past, or even think that much about it without going even more insane, but dam i could have saved a whole lot of broken bones etc if i'd had an ounce of the sense you folks have :-)

NoChoice

NoChoice

Fallen Zen Master
Jan 28, 2019
Ok so a few threads lately have got me thinking.......(Don't laugh, it happens from time to time) Though i can't promise it will make any sense.

I read you folks talk of survival instinct, how to overcome it, how it stops you, and i just don't get it, it's like some alien concept that makes no sense to me, if you have the instinct to survive then you are not yet ready or at peace with the whole thing, to me it looks like you are battling with yourselves, trying to overcome a part of human nature, i dunno which is why i'm asking i guess.

I know that i have lived a self destructive life, even when not suicidal i still have a complete disinterest in my own safety, i just don't care enough, i started off life not giving a toss about something being painless or pleasant, as long as it worked i didn't care if it was gonna hurt along the way. Then as i got a bit older i had this nice idea of dying comfortably, now i am back to 'whatever' as long as it kills me.

Judge me if you wish as someone who cannot have been serious about the above if i am still here, still hanging around on these forums, not willing to go with the idea that i have to be impulsive to really want to die. I am seriously too old for that shit. The only reason that i am still here (apart from the god thing that shrink tried to pull) is the same reason why other people are not, the randomness of the universe, thats all folks....

It's the most primordial of instincts and its just that, an instinct. It's mostly out of your control, if it didn't exist we could all just technically hold our breathe and die but it's not so simple. This instinct had to be deeply embedded in our genetic code/DNA for humans and even the first forms of life to survive at life's inception... You decide on it, you plan it, you begin taking the steps to execute and then BAM its all out the window, that breathe of fresh air is just too tempting and you can't resist the urge.. now you're back to square one, stuck in limbo, what will you do? I'm certainly no expert but I think it just takes a proper method, a proper mindset in that you have NO doubt (which takes time) and then just executing it once and for all.

Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
It's the most primordial of instincts and its just that, an instinct. It's mostly out of your control, if it didn't exist we could all just technically hold our breathe and die but it's not so simple. This instinct had to be deeply embedded in our genetic code/DNA for humans and even the first forms of life to survive at life's inception... You decide on it, you plan it, you begin taking the steps to execute and then BAM its all out the window, that breathe of fresh air is just too tempting and you can't resist the urge.. now you're back to square one, stuck in limbo, what will you do? I'm certainly no expert but I think it just takes a proper method, a proper mindset in that you have NO doubt (which takes time) and then just executing it once and for all.

Thank you, i'm beginning to think i am just an idiot with no fear of death in any context, even when i wasn't depressed after a few near misses, car crashes and the like, i thought about it & realised that even if i had a few seconds/split second type thing i wouldn't be thinking oh shit, more like ok cool, an ends the end however it happens. I know i shouldn't think like that, but i cant remember back to a point when i didn't.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and 1 other person
NoChoice

NoChoice

Fallen Zen Master
Jan 28, 2019
Thank you, i'm beginning to think i am just an idiot with no fear of death in any context, even when i wasn't depressed after a few near misses, car crashes and the like, i thought about it & realised that even if i had a few seconds/split second type thing i wouldn't be thinking oh shit, more like ok cool, an ends the end however it happens. I know i shouldn't think like that, but i cant remember back to a point when i didn't.
Sounds like a gift to me, I think that may be separate from the literal survival instinct but somewhat related. Ultimately death is the only guarantee in life and there is really nothing we can do to stop it or change it, only can decide to bring it on earlier than it will naturally occur, but I think your mindset is that of Zen teachings which is that it is what it is, I don't think you're stupid at all for thinking that way but very wise. If you loved your life but still put yourself in danger and didn't care then that's somewhat stupid but especially if you hate life it seems more consistent with your beliefs to possess this zen approach to death. I try to have a similar one but keep coming back to wishing I could go back and change things, realizing how much potential I wasted and how much this is gonna fuck over my family and friends, but theres not much I can do at this point.

Reactions: therhydler, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Letmego. Please and 2 others
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
Thanks @Nochoice

Your description of it as a kinda zen approach makes sense to me, it is something that i am at peace with & the it'll be what it'll be has always been my mindset as i long ago realised the only persons actions i had any control or say over are mine.

I do understand your reservations about hurting family and friends, though like you i knew that past a certain point there was nothing i could do & the depressed brain has a great way of convincing ourselves that they will be better off, they just don't know it yet, so i am sorry.

People tend to come and go in my life, i don't have a family as they are embarrassed by their 'nutty' adopted kid (47yr old adult lol) so yeah i feel for you.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and therhydler
Sundayafternoon

Sundayafternoon

Cosmic panic
May 18, 2018
There's no human out there without any sort of survival instinct

I agree with this statement. Unless I am wrong in looking at the act of simply drinking water because your mouth is dry as a display of an inherent survival instinct.

Reactions: Letmego. Please and lemmeeleev
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
If you have never been so deeply down in your own personal hell that drinking because your mouth is dry or eating because your brain tells you your hungry, then i am very happy for you.

Some of us don't get to avoid that, it doesn't make us/me a fake or some kind off porky telling plonker, it just the depths that depression can take you, where you ignore your tummy rumbling cause its noting to a brain that no longer cares, where you are so preoccupied that the fact you haven't had a drink is irreverent, you no longer care & yes you do end up getting forced in to hospital as your body shuts down on you.

I am glad you have never been to that place, but i think it's wrong to dismiss its existence just because many posters have not fallen that far yet.

Reactions: lemmeeleev