• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

goodoldnoname923

goodoldnoname923

Wanting to find peace
Mar 28, 2024
I imagine this question has been asked before heck imagine maybe people have talked about this before but truly what is it like in there?

I've never been so I wouldn't really know so yea is it anything at all like the movies or no?

• Love
Reactions: fly
nightlygem

nightlygem

La Joya
Sep 27, 2023
I've heard lots of different stories from different people, so all I can say is that it's different for everyone.
Some people think of it as a place of tranquility, while others think of it as a prison. It all depends on where you live and which psych ward you end up going to.
What I've examined during my stay and heard universally is:
-You usually get prescribed a psych med during your stay
-There is little privacy
-Lots of eyes on you
-There will probably be other patients much crazier than you
-You're never alone unless you earn yourself a trip to solitude
-You can tell that some people are there for the money, and some people genuinely want to help you

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Heartaches, fleetingnight and 1 other person
goodoldnoname923

goodoldnoname923

Wanting to find peace
Mar 28, 2024
I've heard lots of different stories from different people, so all I can say is that it's different for everyone.
Some people think of it as a place of tranquility, while others think of it as a prison. It all depends on where you live and which psych ward you end up going to.
What I've examined during my stay and heard universally is:
-You usually get prescribed a psych med during your stay
-There is little privacy
-Lots of eyes on you
-There will probably be other patients much crazier than you
-You're never alone unless you earn yourself a trip to solitude
-You can tell that some people are there for the money, and some people genuinely want to help you
Are your forced to take said med or is it optional if not what will they do if you dont take it?

Little privacy in which sense?

Patients Crazier in what sense?

How do you get to solute and what does that intail?

And how do you tell apart the money grabs from the genuine people? And how much do they even get paid to be there?

• Love
Reactions: fly
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
@nightlygem has a pretty good universal guideline of what it's like that's not as long-winded as my experience. I can go into further detail but I have a problem of writing for ages so I'm trying to keep it short.

I went to one when I was a lot younger, and I feel like because I went to one for minors I was treated a lot better than one for adults. When I was in the ER about to go I overheard a nurse outside my door saying "They can't just come to the hospital like this just because they're depressed." Now bear in mind this is an ER nurse but I think I can use her as an example of people not necessarily being caring and understanding.

It was alright overall, but not something I'd want to go back to. They're just there to make your suicidal "impulse" go away after a few days (I was there for a month). The other patients there were all people you'd never think were suicidal. They were perfectly normal, friendly, and pretty cool, though it was a little awkward for me to be one of two males while the others at the time were women. I also was 17 at the time, and the next youngest was 14. So that was a little awkward too, but they put all teenagers in the same place.

There was one girl who was very withdrawn and wouldn't speak much, but there wasn't anything like how it's portrayed in media as a place where everyone is crazy clawing at the walls and screaming. Some places are actually like that though from what I've heard. For me everyone seemed like normal kids. Sometimes there'd be an angry tantrum but it was never more than a fist on a table and raised voice. We pretty much were able to control and police ourselves, but it helps when the group is only a half-dozen to ten patients. The other patients I was with were 10/10. They were great people who lived terrible lives.

I got prescribed medication about a week in since I couldn't sleep and was having PTSD episodes. It helped with the sleep. I just took it without question, and they never made sure I did either. They just gave the pill bottle.

You were always accompanied by an adult no matter where you went and had to follow a schedule which would change each day. Ie: Mondays would be art at 10am and Tuesdays would be yoga at 10am for an example. Regarding the art and yoga stuff, they tried to teach us "coping strategies" with the idea that if we use the coping strategies we won't kill ourselves. Yeah, it isn't effective. I even asked one of the staffers and they said that they have a 20% success rate with patients feeling better 1 month after they leave.

Some staff members were happy cheerful and energetic, while others were a little more distant and indifferent. Sometimes it depended on the day. There was also only one doctor whom I'd talk to for about 5 minutes every other day. He gave me the prescription. I guess he's just so good that he only needs 5 minutes to know what you need /s.

I'm lucky that I went to a small one that was heavily segregated by age brackets. It was only for minors except for the drug-addict ward so that probably helped. Though I got really depressed near the end when they lifted the segregation to do a little event and I saw kids as young as 5 years old telling me the horrible things their mothers and/or fathers did to them. They really shouldn't have done that. The temporary lift of the segregation was positive in other ways though since some of the young kids were cool to be around, but I still wish they hadn't done their "fun event". They're gonna make mistakes, but it still troubles me knowing that my psych ward experience is probably one of the best ones out there that I've seen.

• Informative
Reactions: Heartaches, Praestat_Mori, Mäximum and 1 other person
BlueCup

BlueCup

Apr 27, 2024
It is sad and boring

• Love
Reactions: Tommen Baratheon, Edpal247, ColorlessTrees and 4 others
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
In most states meds aren't forced on you and you can refuse them unless they deem you as violent. Considering you violent or at risk of becoming violent is subjective and could be as little as raising your voice gets you this designation. They won't allow you basic grooming items like deodorant or mouthwash or things like that. They may give you their crappy versions of these things that contain no alcohol or what they deem harmful ingredients. You can't properly shower. And you're of course locked in. That really tells you all you need to know about the experience. And it's hell boring! I think by design.

S

shimmerdeath

May 24, 2024
been there. horrid experience, food was so disgusting and they didn't accommodate my lactose intolerance, i didn't eat for few days in a row sometimes, consider bringing some of your own food. no privacy. other patients were cruel and spread rumors. got sexually harassed. a patient framed me by putting a broken cd in my room and claimed i used it to cut myself. some patients snuck drugs in. you get medication yeah. super boring time, bring something to occupy yourself (games, books, crosswords, cards, paper and pencils, etc). some patients stole the others' personal property. nurses were mean. they called my self harm "scratches" not cuts which led me to a relapse once i got out. also the lack of food accommodation made me lose significant amount of weight, which made me relapse in my eating disorder and i kept restricting intake after being let out, leading to becoming underweight for the first time. ask if you have questions.

• Aww..
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Your experience in a psych ward will vary WIDELY even between hospitals in the same city. In my experience, the richer the hospital the better your stay. I was in two different wards within a month, and my experiences at each was crazily different. The first psych ward was a very nice hospital in one of the most affluent cities in my state. Visual checks were done every 15 minutes, but staff would knock before entering your room, you chose your own meals every day, showers were in separate bathrooms with locks, you had a lot of say in whether you were put on meds & what type, and you met with a psychiatrist, a social worker, and an occupational therapist daily. The second psych ward was in my childhood hometown in a very poor area, and I witnessed and experienced multiple literal human rights violations while I was there on top of patients having forcible injections, patients physically attacking each other, and having my belongings stolen. Whether you're forced to take meds or not really depends on how the facility is run, but if you are prescribed them, you will be released faster if you are taking them. I would also recommend never going to a psych ward that isn't also connected to a medical hospital, those are usually the nicer wards where staff actually works with you

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
Onelegman

Onelegman

I use a translator
May 24, 2024
I am in Spain and I was only in the psychiatric ward once for 13 days if I remember correctly. What is said may or may not be very similar to what happens in the USA.

It was in a fairly new hospital and there were no walls except in the rooms and the bathroom, everything was diaphanous, so that the nurses and orderlies could see where you were. There were several tables in front of the room where they were and chairs, all made of semi-hard plastic. I go with crutches, they took them away from me for fear that I or someone would use them as a weapon and they gave me a walker, something strange because it was something much more forceful.

There was breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner, an hour of group therapy in the mornings, where normally some activity was done with clay, painting, filling out forms, a circle for each person to talk, very similar to AA.

You had to take the pills no matter what, otherwise they would take you to your room and lecture you. I have always been docile with medication and I know it is for my own good, but there were cases. If they continued with that plan, they tied him up and injected him. I had a very nice classmate who was anorexic and had a feeding tube, she forced herself to eat and the nurses never did, but on 2 occasions she tore out the tube, what courage!

There was also an almost teenager who chose to go there instead of the police station after taking drugs and accidentally hurting his grandmother. 3 suicides, including me, the other 2 were women, one of them took pills, very young, the other was a mature nursing home director, she stabbed herself with a large kitchen knife 3 times in her heart, brutal.

There are no mirrors, but sheets of some reflective material, covered in plastic, you cannot sleep with the door closed and you cannot use the bathroom in your room, you must go out to the common bathroom in the common room. If you have to cut your nails, it must be supervised by the nurse.

The staff looks at you with distrust, even if you are a suicidal person who wants to harm yourself, you cannot get too close or they start to look at you as if you were a paranoid schizophrenic with the intention of harming them. Little kindness. Once a week the psychologist or psychiatrist sees you, he does not seek to help you, just medicate you until he notices that you are no longer you and he can kick you out of there with a medical discharge. On a previous occasion when I tried to admit myself, the ward was full, they gave me anafranil (antidepressant) under my tongue and sent me home. A poor woman who talked a lot (a lot of dissociation) and walked non-stop was tied to a wheelchair with a straitjacket included, she got her period and they didn't want to change her clothes, give her a compress or even clean her.

You can choose the food from 3 options but it is quite disgusting. After dinner they let you watch TV for half an hour, everyone in a tiny, hot room, no one chooses the channel, it's just news or tabloids, almost no one pays attention and they talk to each other.

I got them to let me bring a book but they only let me take it for one hour in the afternoon. Luckily you could ask them to print drawings for you and color them with crayons. My salvation if I'm honest. In the morning they let you call a family member for 5 minutes and in the afternoons a single person from your family could visit you for an hour, not many were that lucky. And always an armed guard watched the entry and exit of those people. Almost at the end of my stay I was able to go out at that time to the hospital cafeteria and take the opportunity to smoke like crazy.

As soon as one left, another patient came in, sometimes it was immediate, people who had real problems were expelled to put in a criminal who chose to stay there rather than the police station, something that didn't seem fair to me. When I left the atmosphere was almost like a prison, except for 3 or 4 people that you already knew and who for whatever reason were not discharged, the rest, about 15, were people who had chosen to stay there for a while, the majority were not. They suffered from some illness, a judge visited them to give them the court's report and only 2 or 3 were taken to provisional prison.

Not to dwell any longer, it was a horrible experience, every time a psychologist or family member suggests admitting me again, it all comes at once and makes me nauseous. Not only because of previous experience, but also because of knowing how badly they treat anyone who is there, regardless of their illness.

Rather die than return there

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kit1, lovedread, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
Your experience in a psych ward will vary WIDELY even between hospitals in the same city. In my experience, the richer the hospital the better your stay. I was in two different wards within a month, and my experiences at each was crazily different. The first psych ward was a very nice hospital in one of the most affluent cities in my state. Visual checks were done every 15 minutes, but staff would knock before entering your room, you chose your own meals every day, showers were in separate bathrooms with locks, you had a lot of say in whether you were put on meds & what type, and you met with a psychiatrist, a social worker, and an occupational therapist daily. The second psych ward was in my childhood hometown in a very poor area, and I witnessed and experienced multiple literal human rights violations while I was there on top of patients having forcible injections, patients physically attacking each other, and having my belongings stolen. Whether you're forced to take meds or not really depends on how the facility is run, but if you are prescribed them, you will be released faster if you are taking them. I would also recommend never going to a psych ward that isn't also connected to a medical hospital, those are usually the nicer wards where staff actually works with you
The first sentence here is the truest thing regarding this. Having worked on the other side, in long-term residential treatment facilities, we had patients come from all sorts of different short-term stays and I can tell you they vary a ton and all have their own procedures. But like others have said, you'll generally have very little privacy, will be around other people with a wide range of severe mental illnesses which may include violent behaviors, and the food sucks in the vast majority of facilities since it's just Sodexo or whatever company is in your country.

Reactions: ferrie
Ghostgirl

Ghostgirl

Sep 25, 2021
It's pretty nuts honestly. I've been to 3🤣 some have more rules than others which makes it worse!

D

DeIetedUser4739

Apr 21, 2024
If I never got hauled into one and force injected with AP's against my will I wouldn't be wanting to kms.

anastenka

anastenka

Rosa
Apr 25, 2024
I was in one for nearly 3 months when I was 15 and it is still one of the most painful experiences of my life. Any privacy is stripped from you, I felt suffocated in my own room. Nurses would do hourly checkups, even of a night (they would flash red torches at me) so any desire for solitude was quickly forgotten. I had to go to school there too which was such a drag.

I did attempt there, it was a spare of the moment thing and not thought out (I tried to suffocate myself) and was restrained (basically choked) and put under heavy observation for about a week which made everything worse. The food was so bad that I starved and was forced into eating to avoid getting put on a drip.

Not to mention the other patients!!!! I am in no room to judge because I too am mentally fucked but there was an older boy there who was about eighteen that basically groomed me. This relationship was practically ignored by the nurses when I asked for help 'He's just being himself, he can't help it!'. It was just so tiring

The showers were mouldy, the toilets too. The conditions were just miserable. I would die before going back

Reactions: lovedread
fly

fly

YOLO
Feb 29, 2024
Was twice there. Mean you meat nice people there; sometimes even nice staff but youre still locked up and youll leave with traumas. Remeber those children screaming for theyre parents and punching the wall with their hads.
It is sad and boring
Hell yh boring asf

N

Nrocoop

May 8, 2024
I've been in twice, for 3 months and 3 weeks respectively, in a private sector hospital. It did get boring, particularly when I was in a secure ICU, so take games, books, puzzles etc with you.

If the hospital has therapy groups run by psychologists, try and attend, and ask them about outpatient day programs to go to after you're discharged. That's important so you're less likely to relapse.

If you're allowed outside, find a spot in a relaxing and natural setting within walking distance of the hospital. It will give you a break from its institutional atmosphere.

The treatment quality varied A LOT and on weekends it was pretty much non-existent. Combined with off label prescribing of high doses of quetiapine (it became a long-term 'solution' by default) I definitely won't be returning to that hospital any time soon

lovedread

lovedread

Tyra Banks screaming “LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS.”
Jan 2, 2020
Gonna be super real it's complete trash. If you don't wanna kill yourself enough as is you'll want to in there. But for some ppl it's a positive experience

Saturn_

Saturn_

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
Apr 22, 2024
I hope you have the privilege of never having to find out.

Reactions: Mywill, lovedread, dragonofenvy and 2 others
lost_ange2211

lost_ange2211

An angel who wants to go home..
May 29, 2024
i have been to a closed psych ward 2 times.
It really depends on the reason you are there, if you are there on your own term or forcefully was send there at least from my experience.
I wasn't forced to take any meds although every doctor told me to do so but i have a strong no meds policy in any circumstances so it was a no for me.

When you work with them and accept the help they can give you you are treated better.
Though a problem can be the other sick people there, there will be definite people in worse mental states than you and that was quite terrifying to me. I was on high alert most of the time. In the end nothing happened. The thing i disliked the most was being locked away, i literally felt like i was in prison, i had my yard time, food, therapy and other activities. My mind was suffering from that but after a couple of days i was moved to a more "open" mental health wing which was better.

In the end it really depends on how the professionals are handling the ward, how much therapy you get, how much assistance they give you and if you for example think about taking meds if they can explain the side effects and what they do to you well and take the time for it.

My first stay was a decent experience, my second stay was personally pure nightmare but it also was during covid which made the thing itself really bad.

KillMeh

KillMeh

Sep 13, 2023
Didnt help me, wasnt traumatising. I went on my own and never took meds in my life, they said okay we wont give you meds. I was the only unmedicated person, others would often not know what they were drinking.
It was like a pause in responsibilities, I bet it depends a lot on the ward and the group of people that happen to find themselves there. It's not a high success rate by talking to everyone there, most people come back because it becomes a refuge, rarely do people actually get better.
I was not in the strict section btw, like I had a razor to shave myself and my phone and laptop. 5/10

P.S. If you go bring your best earplugs.

Dusk till dawn

Dusk till dawn

Student
Sep 7, 2018
From my experience, the staff and doctors are trash, you'd hate them by default for violating your freedom, and secondly they're pieces of shit that can't be trusted anyways, on the other hand, patients are usually normal people, mostly drug addicts, however there's 5% of crazy abnormal people that have brain damage and their blizzare actions or things they say only support that they have brain damage (usually they're not hospitalised for being suicidal but rather for their bizzare actions and the things they say)

Reactions: lovedread and wsx-rt
pocket7

pocket7

May 31, 2024
Im psychward it's absolute hell. Firstly, depending on your diagnosis, but mostly the doctors will give you strong medicine which will numb your senses and your mind. Secondly, it's so boring and nothing to do, at least in my country. I've heard in other countries there are sessions with specialists all day long. But in my country such sessions happen relatively rarely and the only source of entertainment is talking to your fellow cell mates. Also there was a TV, but if you're getting strong medicine, you can't really enjoy that. That's why I like to compare psychward with prison. The only difference is that in prison no one is forcing you to take large doses of medication.

B

bunnyhugs

Jun 1, 2024
It's not great, but I don't want to discount the system entirely. I hope someday these centers can be reformed as healing-focused holistic spaces, instead of medication assembly lines.

Like most people said, your experience will really vary depending on the facility. I was traumatized by my time there, even at a relatively "nice" private hospital. It's shocking and terrifying how quickly you lose all rights and freedoms, plus the ability to maintain your own simple dignities. (Want tampons? Too bad, they have strings. You'll have to use a pad. The idea one could hang themselves with a series of tampon strings is patently ridiculous to me, but whatever).

Pretty much no facility will allow you to have a cellphone. On the whole, I really support that. I would have felt so stressed seeing work emails. That being said, I think internet access is a human right. When you're put on a new med, you don't have the right to Google side effects, or gather information to make an educated decision.

There were times where it felt almost like a weird summer camp - I made a nice group of friends and we would stay up and play cards and laugh….until the nurses gave us nightly sedating meds.

Reactions: Onelegman and lovedread
lovedread

lovedread

Tyra Banks screaming “LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS.”
Jan 2, 2020
I was in one for nearly 3 months when I was 15 and it is still one of the most painful experiences of my life. Any privacy is stripped from you, I felt suffocated in my own room. Nurses would do hourly checkups, even of a night (they would flash red torches at me) so any desire for solitude was quickly forgotten. I had to go to school there too which was such a drag.

I did attempt there, it was a spare of the moment thing and not thought out (I tried to suffocate myself) and was restrained (basically choked) and put under heavy observation for about a week which made everything worse. The food was so bad that I starved and was forced into eating to avoid getting put on a drip.

Not to mention the other patients!!!! I am in no room to judge because I too am mentally fucked but there was an older boy there who was about eighteen that basically groomed me. This relationship was practically ignored by the nurses when I asked for help 'He's just being himself, he can't help it!'. It was just so tiring

The showers were mouldy, the toilets too. The conditions were just miserable. I would die before going back
Im really sorry this happened to you, these places r so abusive and disgusting. Wish i had something more helpful to say

Onelegman

Onelegman

I use a translator
May 24, 2024
It's not great, but I don't want to discount the system entirely. I hope someday these centers can be reformed as healing-focused holistic spaces, instead of medication assembly lines.
That sounds so good.

Custos

Custos

May 27, 2024
It all depends on the hospital. The first one I was in was an acute ward, apparently one of the nicer ones. I had my own room with my own bathroom. I was allowed my phone, but you couldn't have cables longer than 30cm (although that didn't stop me). I was told by other patients that you weren't meant to have deodorant, but I did, and it was in plain sight and no one did anything. You could bring other electronics, but you may have had to use them in the common area. The experience wasn't great though; you have little privacy. Nurses would walk in when you were in the bathroom, for example (there were no doors, nothing movable apart from the main door, the mattress, a rather heavy chair, and the lower part of the toilet seat).

The patients were nice enough; it was the staff that was the issue. Most just didn't care or didn't follow instructions that were on your record. Overall, that ward was a negative experience for me due to my conditions, but it could really help a lot of people. You also need to keep in mind that you have observations, which range from "are you safe" once to four times hourly to 1:1 where someone knows what you are doing 24/7 to 1 or many to 1 within arm's reach (imagine being on 4:1) and using the bathroom, although that extreme level is rare.

It is worth noting, from my experience anyway, that there are three types of patients on acute wards: those who are not of sound mind, schizophrenics; those that are psychotic or have cognitive issues; and those with depressive disorders. Finally, there are those who are of sound mind but suffer from various conditions (such as anxiety). Depending on the severity, some in the first category are not capable of interacting with you, although it can be fun to watch them or listen to the incredible delusions they have. The second and third groups, however, are generally normal people; you can interact with them and make friends.

As for boredom, there were some activities, but not many. For me at least, I was always either zoned out (a coping strategy of mine), engaging in OCD compulsions, having extended panic moments, or depressed to the point I wanted to cut myself. I was on edge most of the time, so I never had the opportunity to be bored. There were TVs though, a collection of DVDs, games (with almost all the pieces missing), and artsy stuff to do.

As for the medication, it depends on how you got there and your capacity. In my country at least, if you are there on your own free will, they cannot force any treatment on you. If you are forcibly there for an assessment, it's the same. If, however, you are there forcibly for treatment and if your objections to the medication are not valid or you lack awareness, then they can and will force treatment. It is worth noting that they can still intervene and force things on you regardless of how you got there; for example, if you ODed on something, you can also easily be moved from one category to another.

But honestly, if you have the opportunity to go to a "nice" ward under your own free will, then go; you have the right to self-discharge at any time.

The second ward I was in wasn't an acute ward; there you didn't have the first category of patients. You did have a fourth category though: the addicts. This ward was better and worse; you didn't have the clinical nature. It sort of felt more like a hotel; it wasn't an environment where you could relax with respect to your condition. It was noisy, with no activities; you were just in your room or in therapy sessions. The food was decent though, and you actually had real plates with metal cutlery that you could take to your room. There were little restrictions and more privacy. I had a TV in my room and took electronics (that could easily be used for a fatal electrocution). I even asked for some scissors on one occasion, forgot to give them back, had them in my room for like two weeks, during which I stated I was going to kill myself and attempted to leave the hospital, and they never increased my observation level, introduced restrictions, or even checked my room, which was quite funny. But still, for me, it wasn't a positive experience, but that is due to my conditions. If you have the opportunity to go to a treatment hospital, definitely go.

But I've been lucky; other acute wards, especially in other countries, aren't great. But still, if you do end up there, make the most of it; you'll be there for your own good, that is if the so-called "professionals" are competent, which is sadly not always the case.

Edpal247

Edpal247

Experienced
Jul 9, 2024
Eat, sleep, classes and talking to other people. Some will want to start fights, others won't. Such is life.

schmerz

schmerz

if i don't survive, i'll still be by your side
Jul 7, 2024
the experience varies wildly. it also depends if youre in a closed ward or open one.
open ones tend to be fairly nice, in my opinion. they offer a bit of distraction, feed you a bit of fake hope that feels temporarily good and you possibly meet likeminded people, or at least people who also have issues, and can talk to them a bit. depending on how intensive the therapy is, it gets pretty boring sometimes, but there is usually always a way to fill the time. the one i went to actually did feel like it was focused on recovery, unfortunate that it didnt help me.

closed wards are something else. they just feel like hell. your privacy is stripped away from you, youre not allowed to go outside or even open your window and youre completely shut off from any outside contact as you wont get your phone. the staff is usually overwhelmed and is rude as a consequence.

Reactions: Nefera