N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
In clinics there was always a therapist around. But I went to two self-help groups where only mentally ill people (affected people) took part.

I am not sure what I prefer.

The last time I opened up myself in a self-help group my honest feelings about suicide it went pretty bad. (there was no therapist). But therewere a lot of older people who were shocked about my takes. They said things like "suicide is never a solution." I told them my therapists gave me up and think that I gonna kill myself.

I have joined another self-help group and I tend to admit some parts of my suicidality soon. It is a college self-help group with a lot of young people. I have the feeling the people there don't get shocked that easily. I am not the first person to talk about suicide. But I think I am the person who is the most serious about it. But there is also one very suicidal person.

I am not sure which I prefer I have the feeling without a therapist there is less of an authority and more freedom. I feel like I am in less of a risk to get locked away (but I am not fully confident that this would remain if I was acute suicidal.)

On the other hand there is less structure. And the people don't really know paranoia/psychosis that well. They are not as educated as a professional.

But the current self-help group is very acceptiing. It might be still a good choice not to go nuclear and tell everything about my suicidality. Rather small dosages and I will look how they react.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Lostandlooking
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
If you think it would be beneficial to you I think it would be good to tell them about it but to be very careful at the same time.

I attended several group therapies and honestly they only made me feel worse. And I never felt safe enough to truly express my feelings in the group. (This was always with a therapist present)

But I did meet someone in one of those groups that I've become friends with. He struggles with suicidal thoughts and told me about a failed attempt. We sometimes talk about it, though not really in depth. But it's kinda freeing, knowing he doesn't shy away from the subject and we can discuss some parts of suicidality without fear. Honestly it's always kinda refreshing. Even though his situation and considerations are different from mine.

Maybe you meet someone through those meetings with whom you can discuss your suicidality. I personally prefer one on one interactions. But it might be different for you.

I hope it doesn't end badly like the first time you wrote about. And take in consideration if you'd be able to handle bad consequences. But that's just my take. I hope it works out for you. Best of luck!

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223