N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think religion gives and gave a lot of energy and strength to a lot of people. It can be a resource to gain willpower and hope.
DFW said atheism does not exist in the adult world. We all worship.

Here is the quote so that you know I am not talking bullshit. ""[H]ere's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship."

I think some people on here disliked the quote. Personally I am atheist with a little bit agnosticism. I don't believe in God. But I see how some people benefit from it. When I was somewhat of a christian I was very scared about hell, had horrible nightmares about it, it made me feel way worse. So I fully quit it. Reading about atheism comforted me. The notion there will be nothing after death sounds attractive for me. Because my existence was always (at least what I remember) quite horrible. I met some religious that were judgmental towards me because I was severely suicidal.

Though I don't deny religion can have a positive impact on people. But what if just like in my case religions are not what you search for, Other people said I should try Buddhism. Or other religions. I am quite sceptical about religions because I had very bad experiences. I don't like the notion of karma or reincarnation. Moreover I don't want to believe in a higher almighty being.

I think it might be interesting to look what religions deliver for people. A moral system, a structure, routines like praying, self-reflection like in praying (does not apply to al prayers though), hope for a better world (afterlife), a community, meeting with people who share your beliefs etc.

Here are some ideas of me.
Supporting a sports club. You meet weekly, have support groups, have shared goals, invest a lot of time., invokes a lot of emotions, you have something to look forward to like a new season

You could worship self-care, your beauty, wealth, education, ethical principals (I like that), certain philosophies, your job, helping other people, your family, drugs (not a good idea in my opinion), celebrities, sex, fame etc.

I prefer a mix. Several pillars. I worship education, ethical principles, philosophies, politics, maybe friendship, I wished love.

But be warned everything that you worship can eat you alive. You can get an addict. You can become a blind follower. It can deceive you be aware of that.

An idea for this thread was: Many modern people feel like their life was empty. There was no meaning in life. I think people in past centuries did not feel it with the same magnitude. This is at least what I am thinking. It can be positive to find something that gives you the feeling of meaning and purpose. But on the other hand maybe the people in the past centuries were more busy to survive and did not think much about meaning. Or there was not enough education to question certain principles. I am no expert. This could also be true.

What do you think could be a substitute to the role religion played in the life of people? I think science does not really fulfil the role completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Ghost
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Practicing Mindfulness and gratitude are two things non-spiritual people can do. It hasn't helped me personally but meh nor has religion

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
As a former Christian, Atheism does not feel at all like it did. I had a fundamental shift in how I saw the world. I genuinely worshipped God because I believed in Him with all my heart.

This quote, IMO, does not capture that dynamic even if I try to be generous by accepting that David Foster Wallace was being poetic about our obsessions and vices.

There is no genuine alternative to prayer, not even meditation, IMO. Believing some all-powerful, sentient being loves you is not the same as clearing your mind or feeling one with the universe.