M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I have a hard time believing. I envy people who get so much strength through their faith.
Are some people simply not made to believe? I have major trust issues and therefore seem to be unable to trust God.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, InversedShadow, lotus11 and 6 others
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I have an identical problem. As a child, I was extremely religious (I took my faith seriously for my age). I even wanted to be a priest. At some point I lost my enthusiasm. I was just bored with it all. You could say that due to my laziness, I completely abandoned Religion. At some point, I also began to notice the inconsistencies and senselessness of all religions in the world. They all started to look stupid to me. I didn't see the point in all this. At this point I don't believe in anything at all. I'm not even an atheist. I like to imagine different scenarios after death, but I do it more for fun. For example, I imagine that after death I will be God (at this point I am a heretic for most of the world's religions :) ). I envy believers a bit because they have at least some minimal goal. I don't have one at the moment. For me, at this point, death is game over. I don't believe there is a hell for evil people. I don't even believe there is a division into good and evil. I don't believe in anything, but at the same time I don't rule out any of the options. Maybe, for example, Catholicism is right and I'll be screwed. I don't believe it, but I don't rule it out completely. I want to believe in something, but I don't have anything to believe in. Nothing convinces me and everything seems irrational to me. The only thing left for me was to have fun coming up with interesting (for me) scenarios.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Homo erectus and Meteora
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
You can always believe in God if you want to with all your heart.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Reactions: Agon321 and Homo erectus
cantthinkofusername

cantthinkofusername

wannabe girl
Feb 25, 2024
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but you can always try psychedelics. If you do enough drugs, you'll start to believe in god. Maybe it's not for you, but it's interesting to read about, if you're interested.

Reactions: Meteora
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
There are people who believe in many gods and other people who are very worldly and believe only what they "see" (science), and many variations in between. Basically it's the belief of the source of truth, and they are all religions after all. Then the religious authorities attach more rules of their own to make things more difficult.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but you can always try psychedelics. If you do enough drugs, you'll start to believe in god. Maybe it's not for you, but it's interesting to read about, if you're interested.

I m not against it but it is dangerous in my case. I m too vulnerabe and instable, way too anxious. I have a very obsessive mind and it could get to the point where I get stuck. Horrible to only imagine. Gonna read it, though.
Then the religious authorities attach more rules of their own to make things more difficult.
I agree things are modified they way it suits them.

• Aww..
Reactions: theboy and Homo erectus
I

InAgony

Student
Feb 19, 2024
I would say do research so that you can rely on logic, rather than just trying to believe.

For instance, there was a journalist/lawyer (Lee Strobel, I think it was) who set out to disprove God and Jesus being the son of God using his training as a lawyer, but he ended up becoming Christian as he said rather than disprove, he proved it to himself.

Maybe after reading apologetics, look at some of the apparitions of Mary on youtube....Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Zeitoun, Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Guadalupe, are a few. Also eucharistic miracles, the shroud of Turin, and statues crying water or oil.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I would say do research so that you can rely on logic, rather than just trying to believe.
Don't think that would be a good approach for me. I m too nose-heavy anyway.

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Maybe you can find some strength or peace of mind in certain religious practices regardless if you believe in higher power or not.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and Meteora
U

Ulrich

Mar 6, 2024
Faith begins precisely where reason leaves off.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I have an identical problem. As a child, I was extremely religious (I took my faith seriously for my age). I even wanted to be a priest. At some point I lost my enthusiasm. I was just bored with it all. You could say that due to my laziness, I completely abandoned Religion. At some point, I also began to notice the inconsistencies and senselessness of all religions in the world. They all started to look stupid to me. I didn't see the point in all this. At this point I don't believe in anything at all. I'm not even an atheist. I like to imagine different scenarios after death, but I do it more for fun. For example, I imagine that after death I will be God (at this point I am a heretic for most of the world's religions :) ). I envy believers a bit because they have at least some minimal goal. I don't have one at the moment. For me, at this point, death is game over. I don't believe there is a hell for evil people. I don't even believe there is a division into good and evil. I don't believe in anything, but at the same time I don't rule out any of the options. Maybe, for example, Catholicism is right and I'll be screwed. I don't believe it, but I don't rule it out completely. I want to believe in something, but I don't have anything to believe in. Nothing convinces me and everything seems irrational to me. The only thing left for me was to have fun coming up with interesting (for me) scenarios.
I'm curious when you say, "not atheist" because atheism has no structure or dogma. It's simply by definition a-theism. Meaning the lack or absence of belief in dieties. It doesn't mean, for example, an atheist must believe in evolution or as an atheist you do believe in evolution. And it's not associated with the big bang because it doesn't have anything to do with that. Some atheists believe in it, some don't. Some atheists believe in ghosts or reincarnation or aliens and stuff. But thats the whole point, there is nothing beyond the fact they don't believe in any gods.
Anti-theists actively work against religious institutions. So atheism isn't synonymous with that either.

Reactions: Agon321
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
What I mean is that on the one hand I don't believe in literally anything, and on the other I don't rule out other options. That's why I don't want to call myself an atheist, because I don't rule out the possibility that there is a deity that is compatible with Christianity, for example. If I were to define myself, I am closer to an agnostic than an atheist.
@DarkRange55

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Nothing. You won't receive the benefits of that faith if you don't have true conviction in God's existence. So there's normal point taxing your mind like that.

Reactions: Pluto and Meteora
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I was always scared to ask God for the courage to end my life. It seemed two things that don't fit together. I was wrong. I feel a connection to God when I beg him to give me the strength.
And funnily I feel he won't betray be.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I can recommend the theological book Conversations with God. It's available online.

I can also recommend browsing this NDE channel where many individuals report direct experiences.

Much of what needs to happen is discarding false ideas.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: psp3000 and Meteora
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Thank you @Pluto. I ll have a look at these suggestions. To be honest, sometimes it just seems like these people who talk about their experiences with God have a vivid imagination...

• Hugs
Reactions: Pluto
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
@Pluto watched some of the experiences shared on NDE channel and found out what my difficulty is: when I listen to these people I always think this is how a spiritual experience has to be, like if there was a right and wrong.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
@Pluto watched some of the experiences shared on NDE channel and found out what my difficulty is: when I listen to these people I always think this is how a spiritual experience has to be, like if there was a right and wrong.
I agree, and I appreciate the conversation since I'm kind of reflecting on the same issue right now.

If the topic is explored properly, the litmus test for anything God-related is that it should equate to oneness.

Fail
That immediately exposes the traditional Abrahamic God as full of dualistic red flags. The dualities include separation from humanity (God vs. man), good and evil, heaven and hell; they even go so far as to make it a male God. It is a reflection of the personal biases of the men who invented it. You'll notice it getting debunked over and over in NDE reports.

In fact, some of the most primitive and violent people in the world are proponents of this imaginary God, including most terrorists.

Pass
In Vedantic philosophy, the name Brahman is given to ultimate reality. Because it is the essence of everything in existence, that also means it is our own true nature. Brahman can also be equated with consciousness. As one sage put it, "God is man minus ego." Hence, the goal is a subtractive process of removing the false identity to discover ourselves as Brahman.

Most NDEs describe God as an incredibly bright light of unconditional love. This is still not the highest reality since it represents a particular form and a separate entity, but it still gets a pass. Some experiences describe feelings of oneness with everything - even life reviews offer a rudimentary form of this. Researcher Kevin Williams used the word God as synonymous with life.

Neale Donald Walsch's theology goes into detail about the cosmic purpose for human life. That oneness/God could not know itself unless it created the illusion of separation.

• Hugs
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Neale Donald Walsch's theology goes into detail about the cosmic purpose for human life.
I came across his book many times. but I never really read it.

I think the experience with God is something very personal. It s not that it is comparable to what others tell. It can be an inspiration though

ff the topic is explored properly, the litmus test for anything God-related is that it should equate to oneness.
I agree and therefore religious war is so stupid and abusive bc if there is a god he for sure doesn t want us to fight against eachother and erase other extistences.

Reactions: Pluto
thepiecessatup

thepiecessatup

Jan 9, 2024
I have a hard time believing. I envy people who get so much strength through their faith.
Are some people simply not made to believe? I have major trust issues and therefore seem to be unable to trust God.
I lost my faith. It has broken my heart. All I can do is keep praying and hope it works. Action can lead to belief.

• Love
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I lost my faith. It has broken my heart. All I can do is keep praying and hope it works. Action can lead to belief.
I m sorry you got shaken so much :aw:. It s true, action helps to belief!

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I seriously do think God or some form of Him is real but contrary to popular depictions of Him, I actually believe he must be intentionally trying to mess with me by causing my despair to get worse and worse. Only someone with his level of power could possibly be causing my life to have gone down the way it has in the past few weeks and I don't know why he seems to be so fixated on making me suffer. I wouldn't be surprised if God somehow finds a way to sabotage my CTB so that I won't even get to do that right.

• Aww..
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
@Dr Iron Arc I was at the library yesterday and came across a book written by a scientist. The title "Why we live more than one time on earth". Honestly, there is reincarnation. Christianity just doesnt make enough sense.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
@Dr Iron Arc I was at the library yesterday and came across a book written by a scientist. The title "Why we live more than one time on earth". Honestly, there is reincarnation. Christianity just doesnt make enough sense.
I suppose if reincarnation is real I can only hope that my next life actually spawns me as a normie. I mean it's in the term, so being a normal person should be statistically more likely right?

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I suppose if reincarnation is real I can only hope that my next life actually spawns me as a normie. I mean it's in the term, so being a normal person should be statistically more likely right?
Hm don't know. It would be desirable

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I came across his book many times. but I never really read it.

I think the experience with God is something very personal. It s not that it is comparable to what others tell. It can be an inspiration though
There's also a movie which is now freely available. The experience is personal, but there is a place for teachers who direct us back to ourselves and correct the misconceptions of the various religions that corrupt the G word.

I seriously do think God or some form of Him is real but contrary to popular depictions of Him, I actually believe he must be intentionally trying to mess with me by causing my despair to get worse and worse.
This is partly true. But according to the sources I've mentioned, the explanation - a rather uncomfortable one at that - is that you are yourself God, wearing a human costume as a disguise, mis-using your own powers and experiencing trouble. Hence there is an urgent need to understand what the heck is going on.

I normally don't 'go there' but would be really happy to continue this conversation and answer any questions to anyone who is genuinely open and interested.

• Wow
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and Meteora
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

šŸŽµ Be all, end all šŸŽµ
Apr 17, 2023
I worked hard to deprogram myself from Christianity. It took years and I feel somehow less and more anxious than before. I don't fear hell because I no longer believe in it, but I'm anxious in general because now I realize there isn't some all powerful being looking out for me.

Religion is brainwashing. Just brainwash yourself by going to church and participating. Your brain will align with the new reality since it hates cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: sserafim