DragonWingsOnFire

DragonWingsOnFire

Living on hope that i will be happy some day
Mar 8, 2023
I have been looking for a hobby in a long time and i finally found sewing as a found hobby other that gaming. Im happy for it but i would love to hear about other hobbies as well to learn more about other hobbies. What are the good things about it, what are the bad things about it. An example could be like:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sewing:
good:
It easy to learn and you can make a lot of thing with it like your on clothing. Its a very chill thing an you can take a pause allmost at any point. And last it feels amazing to complete your hard work.
Bad:
Its takes a lot of time, it cost a lot of money to start up if you dont have any gear you can borrow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know there is a lot of hobbies that you can just look up at the internet, but not really detail enough about what the bad thing are about it or if it is something that you like.
Well i hope you would tell about your lobby and the pro and cons ;)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, MentalStefan and CTB Dream
MentalStefan

MentalStefan

Loser
Jul 3, 2022
I have a few hobbies which I spend time on when I don't feel miserable (unfortunately it happens more and more often lately :( ). Most of them refers to technology: I like programming, retrocomputing, gaining knowledge about computers and IT, designing & building DIY electonic devices and repairing computers/electronics (I feel like I am not useless when I do it). I also like drawing (however I didn't do it for a long time - I'm going to draw again when I get better) and psychology. I have some other minor hobbies as well but technology is a hobby I devote the most time and energy on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Programming:
good:
It brings a lot of fun, helps to learn how to think more logically, broadens horizons and increases creativity. Other people see you as a smart individual when they know you can program. It feels amazing to see your program work as intended. You can program to make a living. It is proved that you can increase your IQ when you learn how to program. There are plenty of free high-quality programming courses and tutorials on the internet so you don't have to spend money on education.
bad:
It takes a lot of time and practice to learn how to program. You may find it difficult if you don't like maths. Requires a good amount of motivation to start. Some online communities focused on programming are toxic.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same thing applies to retrocomputing and DIY electronic devices. You can give it a try if like challenges. Your effort will eventually compensate

Reactions: Jonbonesjones
S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021
Paper hobbies would be the least expensive and still pretty cool.

Like quilling
pros: cheap, you need colored paper and that's pretty much it unless you want some other helping tools. It's pretty
cons: takes time

3d origami
pros: cheap, only needs colored paper. Makes cute figurines
cons: lots of time, but the pieces that make the 3d figurines are all the same so you can fold them while on a car ride or while watching some movies. Pretty automatic after you get used to it.

Macrame
pros: you don't need much besides the strings.
cons: I'd say hard to learn to make something pretty. I wasn't able to learn how to. Following tutorials was taking too much time. I was trying the micro macrame kind from which you can make beautiful accessories.

Mosaic
pros: end result is actually something you can use, like a mosaic table
cons: depending on the material of the mosaic pieces, they can be kinda expensive. I tried glass mosaic pieces and I think it was a kinda expensive overall.
You need the mosaic pieces, a surface to which you can glue them on, glue, grout material for filling in the holes of the mosaic, a tool to break up the mosaic pieces (if you wanna break them), and some finish varnish solution.

Reactions: DragonWingsOnFire
archiemex

archiemex

Feb 14, 2023
my favorite hobby is baking. its so gratifying to know you made something delicious out of random ingredients. a downside is that its a bit stressful because i get anxious that I put the wrong amount of something lol

Reactions: DragonWingsOnFire
DragonWingsOnFire

DragonWingsOnFire

Living on hope that i will be happy some day
Mar 8, 2023
bad:
It takes a lot of time and practice to learn how to program. You may find it difficult if you don't like maths. Requires a good amount of motivation to start. Some online communities focused on programming are toxic.
XD, you forgot to tell that you only kode 10 % of the time and bugfixed 90% and you wonna destory your computer because it does not work after 50 tries

CyberCat95

CyberCat95

Jan 30, 2022
Crochet!
Good sides: good to do when you're watching TV etc to keep your hands busy and once you're used to it certain patterns don't require much concentration. Can make a wide variety of things (clothes, blankets, toys etc), if there are craft fairs near you it can be a good way to sell some things too! Also once you get the hang of it and figure out different techniques it's fairly easy to work out your own patterns. There are also a lot of different stitches and different styles (mosaic, freeform etc)

Downsides: can take a while to get the hang of which can be frustrating. It's easier to learn when someone is actually there showing you (there are lots of videos on YouTube tho). If you make bigger patterns like blankets and some clothes it can get expensive although there are ways around this! People not knowing the difference between knitting and crochet (it does get to you after a while haha)

(Another downside is I'm in the process of moving and all my crochet stuff is in the new place. Bleh)