V

V0latile

And God decreed, “Coronavirus spread forth!”
Sep 24, 2019
If the PTSD was reduced, what other effects from the abuse would I still have to deal with for the rest of my life? Ultimately, should I even bother or just ctb now?

• Hugs
Reactions: forever21, Final Escape, Sensei and 1 other person

Student
Aug 23, 2019
Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a common type of therapy for people with PTSD. It helped me a ton, but I need to do it again for trauma that was only recently uncovered. You may still have to deal with pieces of it forever, but the goal with EMDR (and trauma-based therapy in general) is that you'll be able to remember it without it crippling you. You can't be suicidal going into EMDR though, so working with a therapist and/or psychiatrist beforehand to reduce any of those thoughts would have to happen first.

IMO, it's absolutely worth it to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, you have a backup plan, and if it does, then you'll be glad you took the first step. I'm here if you have questions about EMDR, I'm not a professional but I've been through it. :heart:

• Hugs
Reactions: Alec, Final Escape, thelastchicken and 1 other person
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
I have PTSD from childhood and 9/11. I am also a therapist. A proper therapist who specializes in PTSD will help you learn coping techniques. Definitely try.

Reactions: Alec
Sideswipe

Sideswipe

I have 2 Simian Palms... DNA is F@£ked
Nov 20, 2019
I'd like to think I know a-lot about mental health but ptsd is a hard one to crack. I've been struggling for years with stuff I never knew existed in me but "gentle exposure" seemed to work. For instance with being attacked.. I used to freeze, by working hard with a trainer I can now defend myself

V

V0latile

Sep 24, 2019
Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a common type of therapy for people with PTSD. It helped me a ton, but I need to do it again for trauma that was only recently uncovered. You may still have to deal with pieces of it forever, but the goal with EMDR (and trauma-based therapy in general) is that you'll be able to remember it without it crippling you. You can't be suicidal going into EMDR though, so working with a therapist and/or psychiatrist beforehand to reduce any of those thoughts would have to happen first.

IMO, it's absolutely worth it to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, you have a backup plan, and if it does, then you'll be glad you took the first step. I'm here if you have questions about EMDR, I'm not a professional but I've been through it. :heart:
Why can't you be suicidal going into emdr? How is ctb compared to emdr when it comes to treating ptsd?

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Therapy is usually very effective for PTSD.

It never leaves you but it becomes mild and comprehensible (you understand that part of you) -- rather than it "attacking" you. You may still be sensitive to certain issues, but not paralyzed.

If you were starved (abuse) you may have future issues with food etc, but you learn to become aware of it, and handle it well mostly. For example, you may randomly snap if someone teases you about food 20 years later, or prepare food for your family and suddendly stare into the wall and remember something - but if therapy had gone well you are aware of it, get used to it, and calm down. That is if you continue to work on yourself (it's never "therapy done thanks and goodbye").

It gets a lot easier over the years, if you continue to work. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Alec and V0latile
V

V0latile

Sep 24, 2019
Therapy is usually very effective for PTSD.

It never leaves you but it becomes mild and comprehensible (you understand that part of you) -- rather than it "attacking" you. You may still be sensitive to certain issues, but not paralyzed.

If you were starved (abuse) you may have future issues with food etc, but you learn to become aware of it, and handle it well mostly. For example, you may randomly snap if someone teases you about food 20 years later, or prepare food for your family and suddendly stare into the wall and remember something - but if therapy had gone well you are aware of it, get used to it, and calm down. That is if you continue to work on yourself (it's never "therapy done thanks and goodbye").

It gets a lot easier over the years, if you continue to work. Highly recommended.
I'm frequently triggered but there's no root memory I can attach to it as a cause. I thought I remembered all my childhood abuse. I thought about it constantly as a teenager

Grandexit

Grandexit

Experienced
Dec 4, 2019
There is some hope for PTSD with ketamine and magic mushroom treatments. These are some of the best things on the horizon for a generation in terms of treatment for brain imbalances. How long it will take to have treatments that are accessible to the public is anyone's guess. But at least there's more than just another reformulation of prozac. Perhaps there is a clinical trial or something in your area. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180918/psychedlic-drugs-to-treat-depression-ptsd

Reactions: Alec, Quarky00 and Absurdity
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
If the PTSD was reduced, what other effects from the abuse would I still have to deal with for the rest of my life? Ultimately, should I even bother or just ctb now?
You can try virtual EMDR to process painful stuff much faster it costs a little bit u won't need it that long to see a big difference. All it is, u think of the painful events and use the eye movement tool. You can use it as often as u want to process difficult feelings and painful memories. It's a program online. Otherwise a lot of the issues seem to have to do with maybe not being able to see things in a new way. I remember when I had very distorted ways of thinking and all I really needed was to learn new ways to think of things. I began to pray and I know that sounds silly but it works. No u should not just ctb without trying to seek alternatives if a therapist doesn't appeal to u. I know it's intensely painful sometimes, like u think u are going to die bc it's so painful but it often passes and then u feel a bit better. With EMDR u might feel a little shitty right after u do it but then it passes. It's because u revisited painful events it takes a minute to feel ok again like an hour or two after. Virtual EMDR costs $69 per month but u most likely won't need it for very long so it's worth it. I finally stopped thinking about being molested and my abortions after doing this.

Last edited:

Student
Aug 23, 2019
Why can't you be suicidal going into emdr? How is ctb compared to emdr when it comes to treating ptsd?

The way it was explained to me, there are a couple of reasons. One, the process of EMDR can reveal repressed traumas, which is obviously going to be difficult. Two, the entire process is so taxing on the mind and body, so you're supposed to go into it with a somewhat stable frame of mind. Again, this is just how it was explained to me–different therapists may have different guidelines, but from what I understand, not being actively suicidal is a universal requirement.

Reactions: Alec and Final Escape
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
The way it was explained to me, there are a couple of reasons. One, the process of EMDR can reveal repressed traumas, which is obviously going to be difficult. Two, the entire process is so taxing on the mind and body, so you're supposed to go into it with a somewhat stable frame of mind. Again, this is just how it was explained to me–different therapists may have different guidelines, but from what I understand, not being actively suicidal is a universal requirement.
Yea, I didn't even do it perfectly and it worked. I just did what felt comfortable for me. Within a short time I felt like something was lifted. I was suicidal but it still worked for me. It didn't really change that I still get suicidal sometimes but it still helped.I didn't see that someone already brought it up lol! So yea u have two pple saying it works.

Last edited:
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
I'm frequently triggered but there's no root memory I can attach to it as a cause. I thought I remembered all my childhood abuse. I thought about it constantly as a teenager
That is something you will explore and learn to handle with your therapist. Triggers relating to childhood abuse morph over time. "A disorder of memory gone awry"

EMDR and CBT did not work for me, though I appreciate those therapies. I needed a deeper understanding of how my mind/PTSD work and how to handle every little thing with practical examples - a sample from a book (The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook) that accompanied my therapy. It is meant just to understand how complex things might be.

Attachments

• 2014-04-15 13.08.20_s.jpg
    2014-04-15 13.08.20_s.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2014-04-15 13.09.05_s.jpg
    2014-04-15 13.09.05_s.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 5
V

V0latile

Sep 24, 2019
Emdr might be the push I need to ctb? Lol

V

V0latile

Sep 24, 2019
Lmao exactly, that's why a therapist is unlikely to give it to you if you're at high risk
No wonder my therapist wasted months of my time this year!

Reactions: 134340