N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have here a list with possible ideas for threads. Yeah I chose that despite the fact it is already quite late where I live.

I read this David Foster Wallace story Good Old Neon some weeks ago. I love this narration it is a masterpiece. The protagonist describes his struggle with life. He describes what leads him to commit suicide. (The author commited suicide 3 years later.)

The person describes to be a fraud. Through and through. He despises himself on a level for that that is unbearable. I think there were many biographical references about the author. Though my teachers always told me to be careful about assuming that.

The protagonist is very hard on himself. In such a brutal way. One person in the Youtube comments put it rightly if you read it you just want to hug DFW and tell him he is not that bad. Though I think this would not have changed much. He is incredible tough towards himself.

I can relate to many parts. It similar but not exactly the same. DFW was very neurotic and I can relate so much. I usually don't have extreme self-hatred but I pressure myself in an insane way nearly every single day. The protagonist tries so much in the story and DFW did in the real life also a lot to avoid suicide.
But he saw no escape.

I don't think it is exactly the imposter syndrom. But I had the feeling there are some parallels, Would have been interest to hear DFW thoughts about that. The protagonist is extremely smart. He can analyze situations perfecly. He often manipulates people without to ability to stop doing that. He always wants to leave a certain impression in the mind of another person. (I can relate so fucking much on that point.) He wants to be seen as an honest, (morally) upright, exceptional good person etc. ( I want to be seen as exceptionally smart by the way) And in most cases he gets what he want. But this does not mean anything to him. He rather acts out of anxiety. Anxiety and compulsion is rather his impetus. (Here again I relate so much.) Even if he gets what he wants he does not feel any satisfaction he rather has the anxiety not to achieve it again. (I partly relate but not fully.) DFW got attention, had sex with many women, did drugs. And the protagonist is very similar to him.

In book reviews they reiterate that the protagoist is a fraud. In the story the protagonist can prove with his logic that he is a fraud and for example his psychoanalyst is way too stupid to find thinking fallacies in the mind of the author. I am pretty sure I also would not have been a big help for DFW. I am not sure whether he really was a fraud, I rather have the feeling he just falsely feels this way.

I had some similar thoughts when I was younger. But in the end I rejected many of them. Here are some possible reasons why. Maybe I am not smart enough to manipulate people. My ex therapist told me I might have the imposter syndrom. And yeah sometimes I feel like an imposter. But for doing really sophisticated manipulation I think I am too stupid, honest and a too bad liar.

I had the feeling many of my thoughts were overthinking. It felt kind of insular and a little bit narcissistic. (I hate to spell that word lol) I don't know I think it is natural wanting to leave a certain impression.

In fact we are all gatekeepers to our own self. There are so many inner thoughts (sometimes not even spelled properly out in our own mind) which we don't tell anyone. There are so many parts of our identity and personality which we don't tell the people around us. I talk with my best friend also about very very stigmatized and taboo topics. And we agree on some observations that many people would never admit certain behaviors. I would also not tell about them in this forum. By the way DFW was also a brilliant observer to point out some of these behaviors.

But DFW had the feeling even admitting such behaviors does not set him free. He was in a labyrinth without any escape. It is such a sad story. Maybe this sounds kind of pejorative but I think DFW should have been more critical about some other behaviors. He criticized himself for some very sophisticated rather minor "crimes". But many women told after his death that he was pretty abusive in their relationship. I think he should have been more critical about that and not about complex mind games. Maybe that sounds a little but judgmental and arrogant. I don't know.

I think the problem was DFW was self-aware that he was very harsh towards himself. But he could not do something about it. Nothing helped. He was a prisoner of his own mind. He demanded inhuman standards on himself. I can relate to that a lot. ( For example due to OCD behavior. There is just no way to switch that off.)

Some people struggle much to feel authentic. I hope some of my thought are insightful or helpful. Thanks for reading it. Hugs :)

• Hugs
Reactions: akana, houseofleaves, markimobzzdeasui and 1 other person
C

chronicphysicalpain

Jun 28, 2021
I don't think it is exactly the imposter syndrom. But I had the feeling there are some parallels,
As you say, there are many parallel conditions to the "imposter syndrome" that will make you feel inauthentic. I can briefly think being inside the closet, cheating or personality disorders such as Avoidant and of course Narcissistic can lead to such state...

Reactions: akana
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
I had the impostor syndrome many times in my life. I left the last two jobs because of this. Too much peer pressure for me. I am now in a job where I feel that pressure much less.

I have no idea how to be a sincere and authentic human being. I am not sincere, i tend to invent stories to make my life look more interesting than it is. This may be a result of me day dreaming a lot.

At this point I reached the conclusions that my authentic self is really not that interesting and I have not much to offer to others. I feel sad because I think of myself as a good person or at least I think I have good intentions. I like animals, I like little small things of life like doing a board game or watching a tv series. I tried so hard to get people to like me but I always fail at that.

Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
We were discussing what it means to be authentic in chat yesterday. It's a deep topic. I try to not lie. It feels like I'm being authentic because the world hears my internal dialogue. But I've discovered that my internal dialogue consists of inauthenticity. I was walking on the beach the other day just watching my thoughts and even speaking them out loud sometimes, and I noticed what I was thinking/saying wasn't genuinely what I felt. It was closer to an image I wanted to convey of myself that I'd told myself for so long I'd convinced myself it was actually true. What I really felt was repressed. So I'm walking around thinking I'm speaking a truth but it has been contrived to make myself look a certain way (and avoid the uncomfortable alternative) not just to others but also to myself.

I haven't read Good Old Neon but from your description it sounds similar to what I'm doing. Except that until very recently, I didn't even consciously realise I wasn't being authentic. The manipulation to create a certain image of me wasn't just or even primarily aimed at others, it was aimed at myself. And because I convinced myself of it, I convinced everyone I knew of it too. But it's a fraud. Now realising that, I'm not sure where to go with it.

• Love
Reactions: hopelessgirl