Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I think suicide prevention is great for people who have problems that can be fixed. I think suicide should be the last option. But the problem is that suicide prevention says suicide can never be an option, which is not true. Many rational people in history killed themselves, for whatever reason. An what about severe mental illness that can never be cured? I think that can too be a rational reason for suicide. Because the mental illness will make your life to hell. Its like an untreatable physical illness. But suicide prevention doesnt really stop people who really want to die, the methods just become more gruesome, because access to substances for a peaceful way out have become impossible to get. I think it is actually immoral to force people to live against their will. What do you think?

Reactions: 21Neberg and Beautifulletdown
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I actually agree with you, especially the part about forcing people to live against their will. That alone goes against the principle of 'free will' and freedom to choose. I believe that any sane, rational human being who has decided that life is not for them (after careful evaluation and trying other means to get better, including finding a purpose for themselves) should be able to end their lives in a dignified, peaceful manner. It is ironic that the same people who talk about freedom and free will and what not are very much against the idea of suicide, including assisted suicide (for people who are terminally ill or have permanent diseases, illnesses, disabilities that make their lives very arduous).

The main problem with suicide prevention is that it uses involuntary force and treatment against people who do not want it. There is no way anyone (who truly wants to die) will ever be honest or forthcoming with their intentions for as long as the threat of involuntary force, treatment, and/or punishment (including being locked up against one's will and then treated and billed (especially in the US) for said treatment) is enforced. It is asinine to believe that people who want to die is a 'cry for help'. Not all suicidal people are looking for attention nor looking to be saved and until said mentality and approach to suicide prevention is changed, then people will never tell the truth for fear of said consequences.

Reactions: Beautifulletdown
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I actually agree with you, especially the part about forcing people to live against their will. That alone goes against the principle of 'free will' and freedom to choose. I believe that any sane, rational human being who has decided that life is not for them (after careful evaluation and trying other means to get better, including finding a purpose for themselves) should be able to end their lives in a dignified, peaceful manner. It is ironic that the same people who talk about freedom and free will and what not are very much against the idea of suicide, including assisted suicide (for people who are terminally ill or have permanent diseases, illnesses, disabilities that make their lives very arduous).

The main problem with suicide prevention is that it uses involuntary force and treatment against people who do not want it. There is no way anyone (who truly wants to die) will ever be honest or forthcoming with their intentions for as long as the threat of involuntary force, treatment, and/or punishment (including being locked up against one's will and then treated and billed (especially in the US) for said treatment) is enforced. It is asinine to believe that people who want to die is a 'cry for help'. Not all suicidal people are looking for attention nor looking to be saved and until said mentality and approach to suicide prevention is changed, then people will never tell the truth for fear of said consequences.

Yes in the US you have to pay for involuntary treatment which is absolutely absurd. I could understand it when its voluntary, but involuntary, no. Thats not exactly slavery, but close to it.

Reactions: HGL91, 21Neberg and Beautifulletdown
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I think it's good, I hope it helps some people. I genuinely wish that everyone's issues could be solved and that everyone here could go on to live a great life, but unfortunately I don't think that's possible - at least not for me. Ah well, the day I die will be the best one of my life.

Reactions: Baskol1
R

ron_g

Experienced
Nov 25, 2018
Suicide prevention, as I see often see it, is an intellectual, philosophical and ethical mess.

HGL91

HGL91

Warlock
Jul 2, 2019
@Baskol1 yeah, it's especially counterintuitive that they bill people for involuntary treatment when the person is suicidal over finances. That's why @xMacy CTBed. Credit card debt.

Reactions: Baskol1