TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Note/Disclaimer: I do NOT support nor condone acts of violence or any illegal acts. This is simply for philosophical and theoretical discussions only.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the concept of vengeance/revenge? Personally, my two cents on vengeance is that, it depends on the situation and generally, if there are other solutions and if vengeance would only worsen the situation, then it's better to pursue other options before resorting to vengeance. I'm not the kind of person who believes in the bullshit of "two wrongs don't make a right," "stooping down to their level" when exacting vengeance or taking revenge. Granted, I accept that there are conditions and situations where vengeance is warranted. For the second quote, in regards to the vengeance taker stooping down to the aggressor/perpetrator's level, I don't see it that way. This is because the aggrieved (victim in this case) has been wronged (and assuming it is actual harm), then the victim is simply trying to right the wrong, settle the score. It does not make the victim the same level as the aggressor or perpetrator. That is simply shaming language rhetoric and other garbage that society likes to spew to quell dissent.

Scenarios where vengeance can be justified:

Scenario #1:
In a lawless society (or even tribes back in the ancient times, before there was a legal system), where the rule of law and government is weak, then the only way to settle disputes and wrongings, getting redress would be vengeance. Of course, in modern society with governments (especially in first world countries) many people who have redress and other grievances go to legal avenues (courts, legal system, lawyers, and etc.) to resolve conflicts and issues. More often than not, most disputes are resolved without going to trial, or even as much as legal action. So in short, if there were no government, rule of law (or such that it is weak), then humans by default would resort to vengeance and vigilantism in order to settle conflicts and disputes, because otherwise, they would continue to be victimized and harmed until they seek redress.

Scenario #2:
Similar to the first one, if all legal avenues have failed, the government is corrupt, the masses will do nothing to help someone who is actively seeking proper redress (for actual wrongs) and then with nothing left, then vengeance would be the most strategic, logical choice for an individual to take. Such situations are not common and in fact, rare, but it nonetheless exists. Case in point, let's use the school kid in primary school for example. As of the late 90's and early 2000's zero tolerance regulation has been rampant in public schools across the nation. This has done more harm than good, but here I'm not going to go off tangent to discuss about it but just using it as an example. In such a situation, should the school system fail to rectify the situation with the bully and the victim (by punishing both the bully and victim), then the victim's parents are left to seek legal action/threaten legal action against the school and school district, however should that fail, and the victim is left with no choice but to fight and get punished along with the bully, then it is usually better to go down with vengeance on the bully than to just be a victim and still lose. In short, if you are going to lose, you might as well bring down the enemy or do as much damage as possible to the enemy to make the most out of it.

There are many other scenarios where vengeance is worth it and can be justified (might not always be legal in certain cases, but really legality is irrelevant when laws aren't being equally or reliably enforced and the victim has no other ways of recourse). What are your thoughts on vengeance and revenge in general? Do you support it or against it and why?

Reactions: burnedCookie, throwaway_2620, snorli and 2 others
H

Heart of Ice

Chillin'
Sep 26, 2019
Justice is basically just revenge, legal or otherwise. That has been my interpretation anyway.

And I have thought about revenge before. I can't be bothered. I feel like I was screwed from the day I was born because of genetics. If there is anyone responsible, it's God, if he exists. No one single person has wronged me. I have no antagonism towards society.

I guess a proper nihilist could go on a shooting rampage in a school or something, but then again, what's the point?

Reactions: azucaramargo, Cevapcici, snorli and 1 other person
A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
In some extreme cases I strongly believe that vengeance is the only way to truly get justice. There are laws I know, if everyone started to....I know, but most of the time laws and justice are only intended for people who have time and ressources, and even so the outcome is pretty often not what I'd call justice. I'm not a fan of religious scriptures but An eye for an eye definitely speaks to me.

Reactions: burnedCookie, throwaway_2620, azucaramargo and 4 others
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Thank you for this thought-provoking thread. The need for vengeance is like a knee-jerk reaction to me. I wish I had the grace to rise above that primal urge, but when I've allowed myself to be wronged in matters of the heart, there's nothing I want more than pain and humiliation for the person who spurned me. I know it's very small of me. I'm working on it. Thank you for sparking a community discussion about a topic that consumes so much of my thoughts.

• Hugs
Reactions: exhausted, puppy9, snorli and 2 others
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
Ooooh boy...
Currently there are three people who deserve some ass kicking. Two, really, the third deserves a SAW scenario.
The third, you see, murdered my mother and got away Scot free.
The other two? Just some ass kicking and explanation why they got said ass kicking. I'd dress in some kind of zentai suit thing, except made of something stronger than... whatever zentais are made of... and just beat the crap out of them.
There's only so much shit one man can take.

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: DevilInHell667, throwaway_2620, Nem and 4 others
SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
I don't think revenge helps anyone. Does better to find peace in yourself than to contain anger or hatred on others. When revenge is served I think it harms both the victim and the attacker.

That is my view even if I don't live by it.

• Love
Reactions: azucaramargo and snorli
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I understand the need for vengeance but it comes from a bad place and it never leads to anything good.

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, azucaramargo and snorli
angele

angele

gay trans man (he/him)
Nov 20, 2019
I'm too petty and immature to have this discussion honestly, I'm full of grudges and I think about revenge a lot LOL

• Love
Reactions: exhausted, azucaramargo, Cevapcici and 2 others
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
Evil doesn't exist. You can do whatever you were destined to do.

• Love
Reactions: exhausted, azucaramargo and Cevapcici
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Hmm, lots of interesting views, I figured some people still believe that vengeance has NO place and that is perfectly fine. I simply agree to disagree but they all still hold valid points.

@azucaramargo No problem, I'm happy that I am able to facilitate discussion, especially on less traversed (but still important) topics. I can relate to it too. There are times where I go for petty vengeance just out of a direct response, and then various times where I'd regret NOT taking vengeance or standing up for myself, putting the other person in his/her own place.

@a_strange_day I can relate to that and yes, in my life, I generally try hard to avoid vengeance and confrontation, but when the circumstances are right, then it's easy for my inhibitions to drop and then just go for it without giving it a second thought.

@alizee I suppose this is true in the grand scheme of things, at least in the universal sense (something larger than humans and all living things). It also depends on how one defines morality (subjective vs objective). So far, most of humanity, even in secular societies are ruled and governed by a set morality, so in that sense, it is subjective morality (within that given society) while religious people claim that morality is objective from their "god(s)."

• Love
Reactions: a_strange_day, azucaramargo and snorli
S

Shakespear's Brother

Sep 10, 2019
The third, you see, murdered my mother and got away Scot free
Holy shit, man. I'm sorry to hear that, both that your mother was murdered and that the perpetrator got away with it.

• Love
Reactions: azucaramargo
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: a_strange_day
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
The paramedics that left me to die in a hospital? I'd put them through a slow moving wood chipper feet first, then I'd go grab a pizza
Peace/hugs

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've found in my own experience that once you've attained revenge on someone that it often leaves you feeling empty or even remorseful. I've instead learned to forgive others for their transgressions, not for their sake but for my own. It's not worth it to carry around so much hate as it becomes a burden and can consume your thoughts or life.

As cliche as it sounds life generally does have a way of balancing itself out. Someone who's wronged you is likely to continue their misdeeds until it catches up to them in one form or another.

Last edited:
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Unable to take revenge is called forgiveness.:devil:

Reactions: BPD_LE
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
Unable to take revenge is called forgiveness.:devil:
Idk most people that cannot seek vengeance, have been unknowingly conditioned by a cult (that was created for multiple purposes) and one being so the poor don't violently rebel against the wealthy.

Reactions: puppy9
notjustyetagain

notjustyetagain

Oct 28, 2019
revenge/vengeance strike me as worthless. if i believed that people were truly responsible for their actions, i'd probably buy into punitive justice. since i don't, i can't. the utility of e.g. locking up a serial killer seems to derive more from societal protection than retribution. my view of free will changed after my DID kicked in. i believe everyone is at the mercy of their minds. i don't believe anyone grows up hoping to turn out utterly deranged.

BPD_LE

BPD_LE

The Queen of Meme
Aug 11, 2019
I've done some vengeful things in my life. Unfortunately, I'm quite good at it. I always feel guilty afterwards though, so I probably hurt myself more in the long run. I've always thought I'd be a damn good psychopath if it wasn't for the empathy. Damn you empathy!

• Hugs
Reactions: SinisterKid
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I really dislike it when people are very vindictive especially over something fairly minor. I avoid people who show these traits because they are dangerous. If they get pissed off at u over something minor they become so out of control that u have to worry that they might come slash your tires or break your things. I think it's different if someone killed your child and it was premeditated murder or something, I could justify revenge in a situation like this. I guess my reaction was always to just not let them continue to do something that harms me. I was more likely to avoid someone in the future if they did something fucked up to me. I didn't even waste more time trying to get even just cut them out and avoid them if possible ASAP!