Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
What do you think about these people? Are they suicidal? Should they be banned from their plataforms? What are your thoughts?

Nikocado Avocado is a Youtuber and former vegan who now makes mukbang videos, eating thousands of calories from junk food in one sitting in front of the camera.

He rapidly gained weight and is now over 400 pounds (180 kg), which is a "milestone" he actually celebrated online.

Despite having already sleep apnea, insulin resistance, erectile dysfunction and other health problems, he continues to gain weight.

His videos made him rich. Apparently he now lives in a $2,300,00 million dollar house.

Some people claim that his channel is about self-harm and that he is basically killing himself on camera, while Youtube makes money from his demise.

Eugenia Cooney is a Youtuber and Instagram model/influencer who makes vlogging mostly about her daily life.

Despite the fact that she doesn't mention anything about dieting or eating disorders, some people claim that her "emaciated appearance" (their words) may be a bad influence for vulnerable teen girls, indirectly promoting eating disorders.

Her photos are often used as "thinspiration" in pro-ana websites.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, annique, Shivali and 1 other person
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
This girl is extremely close to death from this, her heart could give out at any time. If she would start gianig wieght it would need to be slowly under a doctoir's supervision, if she gains weight too fast this can kill her, just like Karen Carpenter. This guy is also at high risk of death, though it may not be wuite as imminent, though it could be. Bad cases are very sad.

Reactions: houseofleaves, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Ethereal Knight
VirtualSnow

VirtualSnow

who knows
May 21, 2022
Not sure about Eugenia, but Nikocado is building a narrative, it's perhaps not the most well crafted, but it still gives him millions of views, so I guess it works after all. Not sure why he's getting to that extreme though, he's possibly sick and masquerading it as some sort of entertainment, he also gave some weird speech talking about how all of it was a social experiment and how pathetic the people that watched him where, but after all, the one getting morbidly obese is him, so.

Relevant video

Reactions: lachrymost, houseofleaves and Ethereal Knight
Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
Really shocked that Eugenia is still alive. When she came out about her struggles and going to rehab, I thought things were looking up.

She has a lot of fetishists who tune into her streams and ask her to flash her underwear and primates, which she does. So she's got a certain audience now. She's really never going to get better, and genuinely think she's okay.

I've struggled with my ED for a long time, so I can sort of understand. It really warps your perception of what you think you look like compared to reality.

• Aww..
Reactions: lachrymost, houseofleaves, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I don't think they're suicidal but I do think they're miserable af from what I've seen of them.

I can somewhat identify with EC as someone who suffers with an ed and is also sheltered af.

Not sure if they should be banned on youtube though. I mean come on there is all sorts of shit on that site worse than these two.

I'm tired of the whole triggered shit because of their bodies. Just don't watch them and you'll be fine.

They aren't promoting any diets as far as I can see and aren't exactly portraying themselves in the most glamorous light.

Teens are more influenced by tiktokers not youtubers these days anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: houseofleaves and Foresight
tser1073

tser1073

Jul 7, 2022
It amazes me that EC is still alive.

Reactions: houseofleaves and Ethereal Knight
C

come to dust

Arcanist
Oct 28, 2019
People can do what thwy want with their bidy. If i can kill myself, they can injure themselves. I would love to know why nikocado enjoys being obese though.

Reactions: lachrymost, houseofleaves, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
It looks like the fat guy is sponsored. He's showing brand names. The hosting platform is probably part of it and not going to remove them but dial up the views. These videos promote prolonged suffering of unhealthy lifestyle, which benefit junk foods, big pharma and healthcare most, quite the opposite of what people here believe in, a neat and peaceful exit before life becomes a mess and dependent on other people.

Reactions: houseofleaves and Ethereal Knight
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Completely whacked out and self-destructive. Avocado is more of a dumpster fire, and also funnier if you are in a heartless mood.

If ShitTube was what it purports to be they would ban him, yes.

Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020
The obese guy is too terrifying for me to look at and just a waste of life in my opinion.

I personally like Eugenia, her style inspires me a lot and she's a very sweet person. I don't think she's suicidal and I don't know whether she has an ED or something else but I feel sorry for her being so recluse, having seemingly few friends and having low self esteem, constantly apologizing and explaining herself.

She's probably suffering due to the bullying she endured, now turned into extremely vicious cyber bullying and isolation, and I think she tries her best to cope but naturally struggles a lot. I'd rather be emaciated than fat but I think she's prettiest at a less extreme thinness. I'd say she probably needs true IRL friends, a nice boyfriend, people who can help her enjoy her physical life more.

Reactions: houseofleaves
Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
I watch his videos so I can live vicariously through him when I'm fasting/on a diet. He seems to get quite angry when people state that he is promoting obesity, but I think it's more accurate to say he's promoting binge eating/overeating. Having said that, no one seems to level the same criticisms at competitive eaters with YouTube channels who literally have a go at 10,000 calories in one sitting, so I'm not quite sure why people hate him so much. Probably his size. Also, I'm pretty sure the claim that he's living in a $2 million home is contestable, he's been pretty transparent about his finances before and seems to laugh off claims that he's a millionaire. Not entirely sure about that one.

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Jan 10, 2022
Relevant video
Here is the same video but without the background music, so we can hear what he's saying (first 5 minutes):
link

This guy is also at high risk of death
true, you can't enjoy money if you're dead.

I feel like, if these people die, they are actually lucky. it's better to die than to become chronic ill and live a life of suffering.

It amazes me that EC is still alive.
me too. I don't know about the psychological aspect of eating disorders, but the physical aspect (gaining weight) is rather easy to fix, there are drugs that make you gain weight (mirtazapine or amitriptyline, for example), supplements and food combinations that make it easier to put on some pounds. and no it doesn't need to be junk food, there's a guy who gained 60 pounds on purpose by eating foods that are considered "healthy" (he kept his overall diet the same and added lots of oats, olive oil, bananas and nuts)

the psychological aspect is very complex though, but I believe today there are probably enough professionals that know how to treat this, if you truly want help.

I'd rather be emaciated than fat
I would rather be fat. I guess my mental health would be better than if I were emaciated. you can have relatively good mental health while fat, but not while emaciated. the minnesota starvation experiment shows this.

the body kinda wants to hold to extra fat. it doesn't want to be emaciated like that. people get super lean by forcing it with artificial strategies, anorexia makes you undernourished and probably feeling miserable. their sex hormones are wrecked, women stop having periods and men get low testosterone. both get depressed.

when fat people learn how to be adated to fasting, they can go for a longer time without eating than their lean counterparts. some even do just one or two meals a day and feel good. as for emacited ones, even a overnight fast of 12 hours may be too much.

but I'd be fat while eating "healthy" food in large quantities, not junk. I think the source of the calories matters just as much as the amount of 'em, because sugar, alcohol, flour and oil (especially seed oils, like soybean oil and canola oil) tend to cause mitochondrial damage, making it so that the body doesn't know how to use fat for energy anymore. this makes the person lose the ability to go for more than a couple of hours without food.

people start their "junk food journey" feeling some freedom for being able to eat whatever they want, but this "freedom" is fleeting - it ends when you can't stop eating anymore.

I've struggled with my ED for a long time, so I can sort of understand. It really warps your perception of what you think you look like compared to reality.
so true. I almost had vigorexia myself (I was a "gym rat"), which is another disorder but it's not too diferent from hers.

from my experience, I'd say: maybe some people with this kind of disorder just want to be loved and be good enough?

I tried so hard to be good enough. I did everything I could to build muscle and be lean at the same time.

deep down I just wanted to be accepted and not be rejected. maybe I was compensating for my insecurities, vulnerabilities and low self-esteem.

going to the gym may be usually healthy, but when it starts to mess with your mental health, it becomes detrimental.

I knew I needed to love myself for who I was, regardless of appearance, 'cause if I didn't do it while I was out of shape, I wouldn't be able to do it while lean and muscular.

after I stopped going to the gym, counting calories and caring about aesthetics and the mirror, I actually felt better, it was a relief! even if my appearance is significant worse nowadays. I guess mental health matters just as much as physical health, for your well-being.

although I did not need to stop taking care of myself, I should probably have looked for a good therapist instead.

Last edited:
F

Forgetting5

May 3, 2021
Nik is gross and a narcissist. The last thing I could see him doing is suicide. I have sympathy for the other, I think she's honestly mentally ill but no one takes it seriously

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I don't have much information on both. I made a short research on Avocado after someone mentioned him. Honestly I dislike the behavior of the fans of both. They just fuel the demise of both. Not sure whether I think the platforms should ban them. I would rather allow it. I think freedom is very important on the internet though it also should have its limits.

I have the feeling the audience of both probably consists of a lot of voyeurs. Both should not be seen as role models. I think they celebebrate their lifestyle too much. I am kind of shocked of both tbh. I am scared this could become a bigger trend.

I have the feeling people become more and more extreme in order to get attention on the internet. Some trends are kind of perverted. But there were probably also such people centuries before. The difference is probably that they can reach a large audience and "entertain" a huge crowd. Though in the past there also were circuses with human beings.

I think it is dangerous if such people become influencers. But interesting post. It evokes many ethical questions I have not thought about.

Reactions: Ethereal Knight
BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
When i first found out about Nikocado, I thought he might have been some kind of fetishist/someone with a death with, but that's evidently not true. He deliberately stirs outrage/disgust for attention and money.

I'd be happy to see Eugenia eat a burger for once in her life, though.

Reactions: houseofleaves
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I don't know how they themselves feel about their bodies, but I think both of them look bad.

However, I don't think they really chose to have those bodies. They found themselves in spaces of life that led to those bodies, whether gradually or rapidly. Like how a suicidal person finds themselves in a space where dying is on their mind, and their destination may well be an early grave.

Reactions: houseofleaves, Cathy Ames, Ethereal Knight and 2 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I think the ED is bigger than Eugenia at this point. What I mean by that is our disorders take over. It becomes impossible to recovery without intervention, and her and her family refuse intervention. She's been suffering from this since she was a kid. It's all she knows.

Nickacado is definitely self destructing. Whether he gets rich or fulfills his "plot" he will never be able to fully repair the damage to his heart, arteries, liver, microbiome, etc. He's been down this road too long. The remnants of his abuse on his body will follow him until death. He's very smart. I used to watch him when he was a vegan. He always ate oddly and in excess, just used to do it with whole foods.

Reactions: houseofleaves, Élégie and lofticries
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Jan 10, 2022
(...)he will never be able to fully repair the damage to his heart, arteries, liver, microbiome, etc. (...) The remnants of his abuse on his body will follow him until death.
I've actually met a guy who was an ex-obese, who lost weight, kept it off and still had a heart attack. he lost 135 pounds (60 kg), then 3 years after his weight loss, had a stroke and died.

I used to watch him when he was a vegan. He always ate oddly and in excess, just used to do it with whole foods.
in the video "Reacting to my Vegan days - Pt. 1", Nikocado talks exactly about that topic.
I watched this video yesterday, so it's kinda fresh on my memory.

although most of his videos are jokes and a theatre, in this video he was actually talking serious and being himself.

he said that he has a "fast metabolism" and, as a raw vegan, he had to "eat a lot of food to not waste away".

he was still looking thin and bony even while eating huge amounts of raw vegan foods. you can see by the pictures.

if that quantity of was too much, he wouldn't have that bony appearance.

that quantity was too little for him, actually. either that, or the composition of the diet is not optimal in some way. he felt a little bit better after increasing the dietary fat consumption by eating lots of avocados.

the raw vegan diet may not be ideal for someone who can't afford to lose more weight. it's "a good weight loss diet", he said, but "it's also inconvenient", as he had to "eat food every three hours, but would still be hungry", "eat [huge amounts] of food" and "carry food or smoothies everywhere".

having a fast metabolism doesn't mean that one cannot gain weight. basically everyone can. junk food is toxic for the body and potencially addictive due to the drug-like properties it has in the brain.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Foresight
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Suicidal? Not likely. Potential death-wish due to misinformation about their health. Likely.

There's always been people out there who do crazy ass shit to themselves for fame and money. The platforms like Youtube and TikTok allows this to happen and it's up to the user to decide whether they want to degrade themselves into it or show the world the weird rabbit hole of their life. No different than ShoeNice, the guy who downed a bottle of Bacardi 151 in 5 secs or ate clumped kitty litter for views. People been doing things for shock value since the dawn of time, it's just there's more of them now with social media.

I

iwanttoleave2000

evan
Aug 5, 2023
I think people should be able to do whatever they want to themselves and post whatever the hell they want on social media so long at is it not propaganda which specifically uses misinformation to spread a false narrative.

I think for something to classify as "self harm", the implicit goal of doing it needs to be to harm oneself.

I think nicokodo does what he does because he likes tasty food and is trying to capatalize on something that people obviously want to see for profit.

I'm not sure about the anorexic girl.