C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
For me I'd choose no reason but I can't explain why at the moment especially since my eye problems won't allow more time to explain.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: lobster salad, back_to_oblivion, GenesAndEnvironment and 2 others
odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
For me I'd choose no reason but I can't explain why at the moment especially since my eye problems won't allow more time to explain.

I agree, I think it's worse if there's a reason. Everytime someone says to me "everything happens for a reason" it kinda horrifies me. Like that 8 year old who died of leukemia? I'm scared to find out about what the reason for that would be. And so many other scenarios in that vein. Some utilitarian nightmare I'd assume.

Reactions: back_to_oblivion and Circles
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
The worst thing is that the possibility of suffering exists at all.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Skathon, S like suicide and 2 others
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
The worst thing is that the possibility of suffering exists at all.
Again either there's a reason for why suffering exists at all or doesn't and it's completely random process unless there's an unknown third option that indescribable to us humans to understand. But I get what you're saying. Maybe also given an infinite amount of universes you get an infinite amount of chances of levels of suffering.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
If there was a reason there would exist a possibility of reaping certain benefits. A reason for suffering is the reason to endure the suffering.

On the other hand, a sense of futility of suffering is the reason to give up.

I wonder, is it really possible to assign reason (or not) to suffering in any other way but retroactively?

Reactions: Skathon
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
If there was a reason there would exist a possibility of reaping certain benefits. A reason for suffering is the reason to endure the suffering.
"Hat man sein warum? des Lebens, so verträgt man sich fast mit jedem wie?"
- Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung

(He who has a why? in life can tolerate almost any how?)
I wonder, is it really possible to assign reason (or not) to suffering in any other way but retroactively?
"Det er ganske sandt, hvad Philosophien siger, at Livet maa forstaaes baglænds. Men derover glemmer man den anden Sætning, at det maa leves forlænds."
- Kierkegaard, from a journal entry

(It is perfectly true, as the philosophers say, that life must be understood backwards. But they forget the other proposition, that it must be lived forwards.)

This doesn't really add anything to your post, it's just the same thing rephrased by two slightly better known thinkers.

• Hugs
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think it would be worse if there was a reason for our suffering. The way I see it, we are only here because of evolution and everything is determined by chance. Some people are just more unlucky than others. We are all just victims of life. I think if there was a reason for why some people suffer a lot more than others, then that would be scary. But there really is no reason for anything, everything is meaningless.

Reactions: back_to_oblivion
back_to_oblivion

back_to_oblivion

Expired
Aug 30, 2021
If it happens for a reason I think it's worse because you would take it much more personally. If it happens for no reason and it's just random at least it isn't so personal.

Reactions: FuneralCry, odradek and S like suicide
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
Both are terrible ...

Reactions: lobster salad
Under The Graveyard

Under The Graveyard

There is no death. Only a change of worlds.
Jun 24, 2021
For me it's both. I been sufering from depreesion and anxiety sincr my teenage years, but as of the last 7 years there has been a reason. It's horrible thecway life is so unfsir.

Sorry for my bad speling but im drunk right now an dont really care.

Reactions: lobster salad
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
The latter. Being a martyr would be far more satisfying.