N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
So 55 members participated in my recent survery.
16% watch a lot of gore, 45% consume in a medium dosage, 16% quitted it, 12% either never watched it or only consume fictional splatter.

I would be interested in the numbers of average people. I am not sure whether this poll is representative for this forum.
Personally I think the people in this forum watch way more gore than average people. Due to suicidal ideation, thoughts about death, mental illness (chicken or egg?), as a coping mechanism to cope with suicidality and hardship. Moreover people in online forums tend to be "more online" -> where you find gore.

I can understand when people who daily think about dying want to know how death looks like. I would not recommend it it was horrible for me. But the notion a family father comes at home after a hard workday and says "Well let's relax at watching people dying in an extremely painful ways!" The phenomenon is probably more complex. But I cannot understand how people with a good life quality, who are genuinely happy and integrated in the society feel the need to watch that stuff. Maybe they are scared of dying and want to desensitize themselves? There are many explanations.

I think for some people it is only a short time period in adolescence just like in my case. (but I was suicidal).
Maybe some people want to see conditio humana (human condition) unfiltered. Also similar to my case. But there was also curiosity admittedly. And in the news they only showed the censored pictures and the things which are censored usually spark the most interest.

Do you think 20% all average people consume gore in a medium dosage? I cannot imagine that. There are way more men in this forum. I assume (maybe it is a stereotype) men watch more gore. (they also prefer more violent suicide methods). In my friend group I don't know anayone who watches or watched gore like me. Noone in my family watched it as far as I know. I have the feeling mostly mentally fucked up people do it excessively. I wonder whether there are any statistics about it.

What do you think?

Reactions: sserafim
lonelysadman89

lonelysadman89

Oct 26, 2023
16% watch a lot of gore, 45% consume in a medium dosage, 16% quitted it, 12% either never watched it or only consume fictional splatter.

I would be interested in the numbers of average people. I am not sure whether this poll is representative for this forum.
Personally I think the people in this forum watch way more gore than average people. Due to suicidal ideation, thoughts about death, mental illness (chicken or egg?), as a coping mechanism to cope with suicidality and hardship. Moreover people in online forums tend to be "more online" -> where you find gore.

I can understand when people who daily think about dying want to know how death looks like. I would not recommend it it was horrible for me. But the notion a family father comes at home after a hard workday and says "Well let's relax at watching people dying in an extremely painful ways!" The phenomenon is probably more complex. But I cannot understand how people with a good life quality, who are genuinely happy and integrated in the society feel the need to watch that stuff. Maybe they are scared of dying and want to desensitize themselves? There are many explanations.

I think for some people it is only a short time period in adolescence just like in my case. (but I was suicidal).
Maybe some people want to see conditio humana (human condition) unfiltered. Also similar to my case. But there was also curiosity admittedly. And in the news they only showed the censored pictures and the things which are censored usually spark the most interest.

Do you think 20% all average people consume gore in a medium dosage? I cannot imagine that. There are way more men in this forum. I assume (maybe it is a stereotype) men watch more gore. (they also prefer more violent suicide methods). In my friend group I don't know anayone who watches or watched gore like me. Noone in my family watched it as far as I know. I have the feeling mostly mentally fucked up people do it excessively. I wonder whether there are any statistics about it.

What do you think?
I truly have zero experience in this topic because I don't know much people, but I've seen a little gore in my life just because of curiosity... More specifically when it's about someone who suicided, but now I never see that because it brings me a lot of nightmares, and since my daily life is already a nightmare, I don't want for my sleep to be also a nightmare... Probably sleeping is the only time I feel better, but when I'm awake I feel bad everyday ):

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Average people definitely don't watch gore. The sadistic, suicidal, and morbidly curious make up the gore crowd. I have only watched gore once, but the way that poll is worded, I could have watched it every day and only recently stopped. The poll could have been worded better.

tiredcat

tiredcat

tired
Nov 6, 2023
honestly, i've heard of a lot of instances where teenage boys (unsure why it's mostly them) show they're friends literal beheadings in class like it's normal. i used to watch but only for a small amount of time before i started questioning my morality because of the reasons why i did it. all i can say is that watching it is not something a "normal" person will do, especially on a daily basis and casually. most people who have seen it though have probably only watched it once out of morbid curiousity (at least i assume)

Left

Left

4 Dead 3 please release.
Oct 13, 2023
Normal people definitely don't watch gore. I really believe most people just stick to mainstream sites, where gore is heavily suppressed. It's very easy to avoid gore; you only see it if you search for it or if you frequent edgy sites. Personally, I hate gore although occasionally I let my morbid curiosity get the better of me, especially when there's tragic event in the news or something and there's footage of it.

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023

What do you think?
Probably none. Personally I don't watch gore because I have no reason or desire to. I'm not scared of blood but gore was never something that appealed to me. I've never actively sought out gore on my own but if I see something disturbing on the news, I'll still watch it. I watch true crime though and sometimes they show gory things.

Last edited:
FlyAwayHoney

FlyAwayHoney

To be or not to be
Nov 6, 2023
I feel like most people don't actively search out gore no, but I know a lot of people WILL watch it if they come across it and it's relatively normal to share a fucked up video with your friends or something. I've had random conversations with people turn into a conversation about something messed up we saw, and then that turns into us sharing videos with the other.

Reactions: silentcicada