Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
If handgun was your method, what do you think would be better for barrel in the mouth? A 180 grain .357 magnum hollow-point, which would be good in a revolver, because you can pull the hammer back for single action, and have less of a trigger pull, and thus better stability for a well angled shot? Or a .230 grain .45 acp which would be in an auto pistol, which has a longer trigger pull due to being striker-fired, thus increasing the chances of pulling off where you want the round to go, but does have a larger bullet?

Last edited:
Reactions: TimeToDie
T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
Is the .45 ammo hollow point as well? The .357 is notably faster, though a .45 is notably larger & heavier. I'd consider it a toss up between those two calibers. I don't have to worry about this issue since my .45s are a 1911 (so the hammer must be cocked) and a striker-fired pistol with a competition trigger.

I'll still be using a shotgun.

Reactions: Laststop
J

Juggernaut

Jun 1, 2019
I would get a .45 PPQ if I had the choice, accurate, easy to handle with high calibre and and 5lb trigger. A .357 is overkill and may be hard to keep steady. In the mouth is better than under the chin though, somebody missed with one and blew her jaw and half her face off missing her brain

Reactions: Laststop
T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
I would get a .45 PPQ if I had the choice, accurate, easy to handle with high calibre and and 5lb trigger.
Why spend over $500 for a Walther PPQ when a vastly more powerful shotgun can be had for just a bit over $200?

Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
Is the .45 ammo hollow point as well? The .357 is notably faster, though a .45 is notably larger & heavier. I'd consider it a toss up between those two calibers. I don't have to worry about this issue since my .45s are a 1911 (so the hammer must be cocked) and a striker-fired pistol with a competition trigger.

I'll still be using a shotgun.
Yes, the .45 is Hydro-Shok (spelling?) It's in a Glock 30, which doesn't lend itself as nicely as my 6" barrel .357 for in the mouth. But, the whole point is which would be better for CTB? The chunky .45 round seems like it'd do more damage based on size. But the bulky Glock 30, with it's long and heavy trigger pull is worrisome, vs the easy to place where you want it .357 pistol, and it's easy trigger pull. Also, conventional wisdom wouldn't say the .357 lacks power, lol. It does damage too, for sure. But for such a shallow wound that you want to do as much damage for, which would be better I wonder?

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Both rounds are effective so long as they're aimed properly. Choose the gun that will allow you to aim properly. Even a shotgun is survivable if you don't hit what you're aiming at.

Go read the firearms megathread. This is covered extensively there.