snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
When you see a video like the one below how does it make you feel? Also how do you feel when people say that it's "inspirational" and how he sets the bar.

Do you feel inspired or do you feel angry because if you were in his shoes you'd want to be euthanized? Pro lifers use people like him to say "AHA! no matter how bad your life is you can still make it and be happy, so theres no need for suicide"

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Neberg and Void115
R

Roadkill

Experienced
Dec 25, 2018
I feel good for him that he has such a good attitude, but I still feel extremely suicidal.. I want to die ASAP

• Love
Reactions: exhausted, siray, Strumgewehr and 4 others
EvilForProfit

EvilForProfit

empty
Feb 27, 2019
I'd take that over my neurological damage and I'm not kidding at all. He has much more of a personality than me, good for him. In either situation I wanna die though

Last edited:
Reactions: Ch92921, 21Neberg and dysfunctional
Rex2019

Rex2019

Can't wait for the summer
Feb 23, 2019
I think a lot of it is in your head. You can be the richest, most beautiful person on Earth and be suicidal and you can also be a very poor, starving person maybe with no arms and legs and be perfectly happy. At the end of the day, quality of your life is determined not by your hands or legs but by what goes on in your head. So I don't agree with people who say, oh look this guy has no arms so his life is shit and your life is so much better. Not necessarily. I mean if you got demons in your head, you will have a worse quality life

Reactions: siray, 21Neberg, ForestLove and 8 others
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
He's happy. Good for him. I can't say what I'd do in his situation I'm not him. And yes that rhetoric is annoying and slightly insensitive

Reactions: 21Neberg, seekingoblivion, ForestLove and 3 others
RememberWhatUCameFor

RememberWhatUCameFor

dont cry for me im already dead
Nov 20, 2018
I think a lot of it is in your head. You can be the richest, most beautiful person on Earth and be suicidal and you can also be a very poor, starving person maybe with no arms and legs and be perfectly happy. At the end of the day, quality of your life is determined not by your hands or legs but by what goes on in your head. So I don't agree with people who say, oh look this guy has no arms so his life is shit and your life is so much better. Not necessarily. I mean if you got demons in your head, you will have a worse quality life

its both environment and perception of environment

eg if youre a good looking millionair with perfect physical health yet your a still depressed? might check your brain mate

youre a homeless aids infected orphan with no friends? youre sad? well not necesseraly sth wrong with your brain...sadness might be justified

Reactions: ForestLove, Manaaja, Worthless_nobody and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I partially agree, but also partially disagree. The part I disagree with is that part of what defines me is being able to pursue the hobbies that I have in the way I wish to and I'd imagine if I had no limbs, no arms, legs, hands; it would be utter hell for me. This also has something to do with my personality, being fiercely independent and wanting to do things on my own terms. The part that I will agree though is that yes, if I have demons in my head then my life is utter hell and yes, I do currently have demons in my head that no one but myself can solve (I'm hoping to resolve them because no one gets it and only I know the way to solve it -- thus if I failed to solve it myself, I'm fucked).

I suppose that some people are happy because of their different perspectives and standards in life. Also, when someone is born with a condition like that, they don't know what it is to be able bodied so in a sense, they don't miss what they never experienced. Whereas someone who was physically able-bodied then after a illness or accident, become disabled, suffered a tremendous loss and losing what they once had (an active life, their independence, dignity and what not). Therefore, people who had things previously but lost it due to some event, would want to die due to not being able to come to terms with such a tremendous loss and change in quality of life.

Note: I am not trying to minimize or undermine people who are suffering, but merely just giving my own two cents and explaining why some people don't suicide in certain situations.

its both environment and perception of environment

eg if youre a good looking millionair with perfect physical health yet your a still depressed? might check your brain mate

youre a homeless aids infected orphan with no friends? youre sad? well not necesseraly sth wrong with your brain...sadness might be justified

This makes a lot of sense and from a logical perspective, yes someone in perfect health, has a lot of wealth to live comfortably, and all their needs met, then it is likely that it is in their head, and less about circumstances (not saying all but most cases). As far as the less fortunate, yes I believe that their suicidality is based on their life circumstances (along with personal reasons as well... each case is different).

Reactions: ForestLove, Coral7 and Death.
I am ___________

I am ___________

Hated, Unloved by the world and everything in it.
Jan 3, 2019
If he is happy then that is good for him, however it does not change my opinion nor view of life. From my perspective it amplifies and supports my opinion that life is shit. If I were in his situation I would ask to die or just find a way myself. There is no positive in a negative, I just cannot comprehend the hypocracy of pro lifers and those ignorant of the situation of others. Truly ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: Lifetimepunishment, NoOneKnows and Taylor
Taylor

Taylor

Thankful
Dec 23, 2018
Couldn't have said it better myself. That was honestly the perfect response. It's all perception based. Superficial qualities have nothing to do with it, or in some cases they can be the primary reason, and anything in between if that makes sense. Everyone is different and you have no idea what may be going on in someone's mind, with how complex it is, how one responds to trauma, etc. Take my case for example, I went from happy, optimistic and completely unbothered in life, to acutely suicidal over the course of two years, from the things I've experienced. No one is immune.

Reactions: ForestLove
RememberWhatUCameFor

RememberWhatUCameFor

dont cry for me im already dead
Nov 20, 2018
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...er-a-stroke-destroyed-part-of-his-brain.9092/

the threads fits to the topic i think

guy is heavily depressed attempts suicide ends up in a wheelchair

his situation is objectively worse but thanks to the brain damage that came with the failed suicide attempt his reception if life changed and he is happy now

R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
My depression is my head. Sometimes you can't overcome the situation. Sometimes even you have help (family, psychologist, medication), it doesn't make effect. Doesn't matter how many years pass. The hurts doesn't go away. The conclusions about everything are I don't fit, I'm wrong, others will do better, the world doesn't work. It is so difficult to change that.

Reactions: ForestLove
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
He's got lucky to be adopted by good family, to be able to use fancy electric chair, go to college.
Most people like him are not happy at all, that's the truth. That's why there's a documentary about his struggle, because he is positive and strong. They don't show you tragedies without any glimpse of hope because people don't like to watch anything like that after work. I knew some physically disabled people, they were not happy, they were very depressed.
So... My point is.. not everyone in a place to overcome unfortunate circumstances because everyone is different.
Good for this fellow he can be somewhat happy, I hope it will last to his deathbed.

dysfunctional

dysfunctional

Arcanist
Oct 26, 2018
Its a classic case of metal illness vs physical illness/injury. One is not clearly visible, the other is. Its great that this guy still has a rewarding life.
Reminds me of how I used to say I'd kill myself if I ever became paralyzed, because I wouldn't be able to do all the activities that provide my life with meaning. Now I'm effectively paralyzed by mental illness. Its almost worse because my body still mostly works, yet these activities are gone.
Another thing it makes me think of is the Anthony Bourdain example. A guy with a visibly fantasy life of wealth, traveling, and dating models or whatever. He still felt so awfull he ended up killing himself. Its kindof why therapy doens't work for me. They just tell me my life isn't that bad and start doing all the things I love again. Its not that bad viewed from outside, but the spark is gone and I'm dead inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: spanishguy22 and 21Neberg
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I have such admiration for this guy. Look how strong he is, literally no limbs and he's still laughing! Wonderful person, wish him the best.

Reactions: Efem and RememberWhatUCameFor
Need-a-Place

Need-a-Place

happygolucky
Feb 10, 2019
Its a classic case of mental illness vs physical illness/injury. One is not clearly visible, the other is.

If this guy's physical body represented his mind, he would be a whole, healthy, functioning person.

If our physical bodies represented our minds, we'd be rotting and mutilated and half dead.

• Love
Reactions: exhausted
dysfunctional

dysfunctional

Arcanist
Oct 26, 2018
If this guy's physical body represented his mind, he would be a whole, healthy, functioning person.

If our physical bodies represented our minds, we'd be rotting and mutilated and half dead.
Very accurate

cornflowerblue

cornflowerblue

Mage
Feb 18, 2019
When you see a video like the one below how does it make you feel? Also how do you feel when people say that it's "inspirational" and how he sets the bar.

Do you feel inspired or do you feel angry because if you were in his shoes you'd want to be euthanized? Pro lifers use people like him to say "AHA! no matter how bad your life is you can still make it and be happy, so theres no need for suicide"

These things reinforce my beliefs that my feelings aren't caused by external factors. I'd be unhappy in any other person's shoes, and many people would be happy in worse shoes than mine.

Reactions: dysfunctional