Noriv159

Noriv159

Sigh.
Oct 22, 2020
I know there are plenty of threads about this and I know most people feel intimidated by conceptualizing an identity beyond their biological instrument due to the current inexplicability of consciousness and where it really comes from. But do you really feel like your existence is a consequence of unorganised chances of nature? Do you believe you are a result of a "what if" existential happenstance? Are you ultimately only a biological process without any performance freedom? Is your existence only tied to a chance? Is that it?
I personally don't believe in nothingness after death (even though I would prefer nothingness) because it doesn't really justifiably satisfy any existential criterion and only spews inconsistencies in it's forms of reasoning. But I personally don't understand it because I'm not aware of other people' perspectives of it and why they believe in what they believe, hence my reasons for creating this thread. I'm also curious to know, are some of your reasons for ctb-ing related somehow to your personal beliefs on death? Do you essentially believe it'll be better once you've ended your life? I hope I don't sound pejorative, I'm just curious to know if some of your reasons for ending your lives are somehow related to your beliefs about death. Because if so, I'm in the same boat.

Here are my thoughts on nothingness and what I never understood.
If it is true that when we die and we become this "nothingness" (i.e. non existence) doesn't it's surmounting non reference of time (eternity) render life's reference of time incommensurate, to that of the experience and it's ending, since eternity always is? If you die and become or unbecome into nothing, then can we say you ever existed in the first place? Doesn't existence rely on your existence to create an awareness field of it's given environment for it to be truly viable? If you cease to exist won't everything follow you since nothingness has no reference of time? That's why i never understood the concept of nothingness. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure someone could have phrased this better, but these are my messy thoughts and why I don't think there is nothingness after death. Or at least, it is not entirely for eternity, because that defeats existence itself since existence seems to be experientially seen as terminal. Hence the references of time and no time and the incommensurability of beginning and ending. It must be all repeative for it to make sense.

What do you expect after death and why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thorn
Dizzy_Dreams

Dizzy_Dreams

I’m never alone, I’m alone all the time.
Jun 25, 2020
I know there are plenty of threads about this and I know most people feel intimidated by conceptualizing an identity beyond their biological instrument due to the current inexplicability of consciousness and where it really comes from. But do you really feel like your existence is a consequence of unorganised chances of nature? Do you believe you are a result of a "what if" existential happenstance? Are you ultimately only a biological process without any performance freedom? Is your existence only tied to chances? Is that it?
I personally don't believe in nothingness after death (even though I would prefer nothingness) because it doesn't really justifiably satisfy any existential criterion and only spews inconsistencies in it's forms of reasoning. But I personally don't understand it from other people' perspectives and why they believe in what they believe, hence my reasons for creating this thread. Are some of your reasons for ctb-ing related somehow to your personal beliefs on death? Do you essentially believe it'll be better once you've ended your life? I hope I don't sound pejorative, I'm just curious to know if some of your reasons for ending your lives are somehow related to your beliefs about death. Because if so, I'm in the same boat.

If it is true that when we die we become this "nothingness" (i.e. non existence) doesn't it's surmounting non reference of time (eternity) render life's reference of time incommensurate to that of experience? Meaning, if you die and become or unbecome into nothing, then can we say you ever existed in the first place? Doesn't existence rely on your existence to create an awareness field of it's given environment for it to be truly viable? Do you cease to exist or will everything follow you? (i.e. no reference of time), meaning nothing ever was or ever will, since eternity (equated with nothingness, in this case) surmounts any reference of time. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure someone could have phrased this better, but these are my messy thoughts and why I don't think there is nothingness after death. Or at least, it is not entirely for eternity, because that defeats existence itself since it is seen as terminal.

Anyway, what do you expect after death and why?

So do you think there's nothing after death or no? I'm a little confused

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
None of that is coherent enough to me to even argue against, sorry.

Reactions: Noriv159
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
So you don't understand what I'm saying?
Forgive me for sounding too abstract.

I deal with the abstract, I am a theorist in some field. That is not the issue. It is not coherent.

Noriv159

Noriv159

Sigh.
Oct 22, 2020
I deal with the abstract, I am a theorist in some field. That is not the issue. It is not coherent.
I suppose it made sense in my head. That's why I'm saying it was sort of abstract. To you, it is not coherent.

A

Arnar

Mar 2, 2020
I know there are plenty of threads about this and I know most people feel intimidated by conceptualizing an identity beyond their biological instrument due to the current inexplicability of consciousness and where it really comes from. But do you really feel like your existence is a consequence of unorganised chances of nature? Do you believe you are a result of a "what if" existential happenstance? Are you ultimately only a biological process without any performance freedom? Is your existence only tied to a chance? Is that it?
I personally don't believe in nothingness after death (even though I would prefer nothingness) because it doesn't really justifiably satisfy any existential criterion and only spews inconsistencies in it's forms of reasoning. But I personally don't understand it because I'm not aware of other people' perspectives of it and why they believe in what they believe, hence my reasons for creating this thread. I'm also curious to know, are some of your reasons for ctb-ing related somehow to your personal beliefs on death? Do you essentially believe it'll be better once you've ended your life? I hope I don't sound pejorative, I'm just curious to know if some of your reasons for ending your lives are somehow related to your beliefs about death. Because if so, I'm in the same boat.

If it is true that when we die and we become this "nothingness" (i.e. non existence) doesn't it's surmounting non reference of time (eternity) render life's reference of time incommensurate, to that of the experience and it's ending, since eternity always is? If you die and become or unbecome into nothing, then can we say you ever existed in the first place? Doesn't existence rely on your existence to create an awareness field of it's given environment for it to be truly viable? If you cease to exist won't everything follow you since nothingness has no reference of time? That's why i never understood the concept of nothingness. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure someone could have phrased this better, but these are my messy thoughts and why I don't think there is nothingness after death. Or at least, it is not entirely for eternity, because that defeats existence itself since it is experientially seen as terminal. Hence the references of time and no time and the incommensurability of beginning and ending. It must be all repeative for it to make sense.

What do you expect after death and why?
I believe that it wont be nothingness. If we imagine that it will be the same as before you were born, and that before you were born there was just emptiness: Somehow, out of that emptiness, nothingness you came to be aware. So why do so many think that after you die, there is no chance of you becoming aware, of you being conscious? It already has happened. Out of that nothingness you came to be. So why can't that happen again?
I don't happen to believe that there was nothingness before you were born, or that you will become nothing when you die. Consciousness is something totally different from the material world, the only world we have done science and experiments on. How much does qualia weigh? How far away is it? Where is it? These questions don't make sense as qualia is something entirely different from the material. The material explanation for consciousness is absurd. Let's say that some series of atoms, electrons, some chemical reaction lead to consciousness: we will always be left with that jump, from the composition of material, to consciousness, how come these series of events lead to consciousness? There will always be a Qualitative difference between consciousness and the sum of the parts needed to create it. Obviously, you first-person experience is radically different to a brain.
Nikola Teslas view on this is interesting, that the brain is a receiver, in the universe there is some core/something language can't describe, that is a transmitter. Pan-psychism is also an increasingly popular idea among serious academics and scientists. There is something primary with us that does not disappear when we die, I imagine.

Reactions: Thorn, death137 and Noriv159
Noriv159

Noriv159

Sigh.
Oct 22, 2020
I believe that it wont be nothingness. If we imagine that it will be the same as before you were born, and that before you were born there was just emptiness: Somehow, out of that emptiness, nothingness you came to be aware. So why do so many think that after you die, there is no chance of you becoming aware, of you being conscious? It already has happened. Out of that nothingness you came to be. So why can't that happen again?
I don't happen to believe that there was nothingness before you were born, or that you will become nothing when you die. Consciousness is something totally different from the material world, the only world we have done science and experiments on. How much does qualia weigh? How far away is it? Where is it? These questions don't make sense as qualia is something entirely different from the material. The material explanation for consciousness is absurd. Let's say that some series of atoms, electrons, some chemical reaction lead to consciousness: we will always be left with that jump, from the composition of material, to consciousness, how come these series of events lead to consciousness? There will always be a Qualitative difference between consciousness and the sum of the parts needed to create it. Obviously, you first-person experience is radically different to a brain.
Nikola Teslas view on this is interesting, that the brain is a receiver, in the universe there is some core/something language can't describe, that is a transmitter. Pan-psychism is also an increasingly popular idea among serious academics and scientists. There is something primary with us that does not disappear when we die, I imagine.
That, and the time and no time factor in existence versus nothingness, making it hard to see a beginning and an end.

Reactions: Arnar
G

Gentleman

For ethics, there is only suffering and its cure.
Sep 10, 2020
This thread gave me headache. XD

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
Dinosaurs or I'm going to be fucking pissed. Because that would be so cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: madwantstodie