Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
So I've got more time off work, already had over a week off(sickness) but now I'm off coz of mental health reasons, my brother asked me today if I've still got a job coz I hsvent been for ages, I do still have a job. I just dont know what excuse to tell him coz I find it really awkward to tell him about what's going on with me inside my head, I never have, I generally don't tell anyone so I feel kinda stuck and don't wanna say im "sick" again

• Hugs
Reactions: Stick, Spitfire and Ren Elsie Jewelria
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
whenever im out because of a bad mental day my husband just tells people im sick

Reactions: Stick, Wolfjob_dayjob and Ren Elsie Jewelria
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I would just say stress, and say I don't want to discuss it further.

Reactions: Stick
Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
I would just say stress, and say I don't want to discuss it further.
I'm not sure if he'd buy the stress bit with me been off work for 12 days so far

• Hugs
Reactions: Stick and Spitfire
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I'm not sure if he'd buy the stress bit with me been off work for 12 days so far
What would be the consequence of him not believing you? It doesn't matter if he likes the answer if you want to maintain your privacy set boundaries, and stick to them. In that amount of time you could have gone from a cold to emotional stress.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and Spitfire
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Not to sound callous... fear of Corona /potential symptoms?

I

Irishman

Jul 26, 2020
Why not tell him the truth?

Reactions: Spitfire
Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
Not to sound callous... fear of Corona /potential symptoms?
I work in retail, similar to asda/Walmart so I've been at work throughout the pandemic so he knows I dont really care about that.
Why not tell him the truth?
And I dont know tbh. Just always felt uncomfortable telling people especially family, no idea why

• Hugs
Reactions: Spitfire and GoneGoneGone
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
I work in retail, similar to asda/Walmart so I've been at work throughout the pandemic so he knows I dont really care about that.

And I dont know tbh. Just always felt uncomfortable telling people especially family, no idea why
Partner problems? Someone broke your heart (sorry if that really happened)?

I

Irishman

Jul 26, 2020

If you trust your brother to understand you, or atleast to try and relate to, then go on.
And judging by what you said he seems to care about you.

Reactions: Insertname1
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
I just got one week off from work because of depression. No questions asked. I do am depressed.

Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
I just got one week off from work because of depression. No questions asked. I do am depressed.
I've text 1 of the other managers im friends with and told her whats going on, she tries to understand. Its just my brother. He's definitely gonna wonder if I've still got a job and lying about it lol I will 100% have a job after my time off lol
If you trust your brother to understand you, or atleast to try and relate to, then go on.
And judging by what you said he seems to care about you.
He does care, he's always supported me even in my worst days even if he doesn't know all the facts, maybe im just paranoid and reading far too much into it idk
Partner problems? Someone broke your heart (sorry if that really happened)?
Me and my ex fiance split up about 6 weeks ago or so, I was still going to work and everything fine, then I all of a sudden had this mental breakdown,

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
You can keep it brief, friendly and honest with your brother to avoid conflict:

I appreciate you checking up on me. Yes, I still have a job. If there's anything I need, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for showing you care.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
So I've got more time off work, already had over a week off(sickness) but now I'm off coz of mental health reasons, my brother asked me today if I've still got a job coz I hsvent been for ages, I do still have a job. I just dont know what excuse to tell him coz I find it really awkward to tell him about what's going on with me inside my head, I never have, I generally don't tell anyone so I feel kinda stuck and don't wanna say im "sick" again
Think about giving your brother a chance to hear the truth. I understand its hard to talk about and ,ironically ,usually even more so when its someone close like a family member. But maybe ,just maybe his reaction might surprise you in a good way. Good luck.

Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
Think about giving your brother a chance to hear the truth. I understand its hard to talk about and ,ironically ,usually even more so when its someone close like a family member. But maybe ,just maybe his reaction might surprise you in a good way. Good luck.
It might surprise me, hes usually really supportive anyway, with this kind of thing I've always shut myself off due to the subject matter, its still fairly taboo to talk about certain mental health issues with people

S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
It sounds like being honest to an extent might work for your situation.. however far you are comfortable in going into some of the details of it all with him?

It sounds like it could possibly open up a good conversation for you to have with him, if he cares about you like that? I do not know if this would be really a helpful thing for you, or not though?

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Could you then tell him that your shifts are being reshuffled?

Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
It sounds like being honest to an extent might work for your situation.. however far you are comfortable in going into some of the details of it all with him?

It sounds like it could possibly open up a good conversation for you to have with him, if he cares about you like that? I do not know if this would be really a helpful thing for you, or not though?
I dont know either, he must know something is abit wrong, coz im sat in my bedroom with the door shut every day,
Could you then tell him that your shifts are being reshuffled?
That is a good 1, coz they do change sometimes but coz im not sure when ill be back at work I wouldnt know what to say

Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
I'm happy to know that your brother supports you and talks to you. Mine erased me from his life completely.

S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I know my sister would probably be able to pick up and sense something about that, if it were the same type of thing happening like that with me.

It depends if you want to talk?

Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
I'm happy to know that your brother supports you and talks to you. Mine erased me from his life completely.
Oh no how come if you don't mind me asking, you dont have to say. I'm surprised my brother still is involved with me tbh, as almost everyone over the last 5 years has gone

Reactions: Ren Elsie Jewelria
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
Oh no how come if you don't mind me asking, you dont have to say. I'm surprised my brother still is involved with me tbh, as almost everyone over the last 5 years has gone

He became jealous when he saw my art from which I earn nothing (just a hobby) and he thinks that earning lotsof "monies" a month makes him so much better.

Insertname1

Insertname1

Student
Sep 21, 2020
He became jealous when he saw my art from which I earn nothing (just a hobby) and he thinks that earning lotsof "monies" a month makes him so much better.
Thats daft, money isn't everything, I know a guy that earns a really good living but is an asshole, I quote "financial freedom is key" says it all really. For him money is everything. For me, as long as I can afford to pay my bills and then enjoy myself a little afterwards. Thats enough for me, never been bothered about money that much

Reactions: Spitfire and Ren Elsie Jewelria
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
It might surprise me, hes usually really supportive anyway, with this kind of thing I've always shut myself off due to the subject matter, its still fairly taboo to talk about certain mental health issues with people
No ,in general its not easy. Personally , I have always found it easier to talk to friends about my mental health struggles than to family. But everyone is different and have different experiences with this stuff.