carnivalforone

carnivalforone

Experienced
Sep 29, 2023
im about to turn 19 and im doing a gap year, i never truly took note of my situation till recently but long story short i dont know what to do with my life. im more so finished with everything big i have a home i have a car, i keep working but im not sure why and the money isnt necessarily enough that i can have the life i'd enjoy. i worked extremely hard from my 16th birthday till now and quite frankly cant keep going without a plan anymore. what do i study, what do i do, what classes do i take and how do i look for it. i never had any sort of father figure that guide me through school and so my gpa is mediocre as well. i just want to be given a purpose, i feel empty and pointless and im angry that i wasnt given a better starting point. i dont wanna do a lot of school but i still want to make decent money at least enough to support a shut in lifestyle and a little more. im facing a bit of overinformation now i just want to be told to do something so i can finally decide and focus. thanks for anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore, Agon321 and SmollMushroom
puella

puella

she/they
Oct 5, 2023
I've heard about a book called The Paradox of Choice. I think the argument is that more choices can limit our freedom by making it harder to choose.

I would try not to let yourself think about it too much. It stresses you out to think you need to pick the best option. You'll never pick the best option. Just pick anything you think sounds pleasant and jump in.

What helped me was thinking about how nothing really matters anyways. I just picked chess as my thing without thinking too much. It's just something I like, so who cares.