L

little.one_777

Jun 12, 2024
So, I've been trying to understand. I feel like I've had many unsuccessful CTBs. If you're not sure, but you're stopping last minute, is it unsuccessful? Or do you have to commit to it and then fail? I'm so lost.

Shadowpriest

Shadowpriest

Jan 20, 2024
Logically you'll have to commit/try and fail to count. If you chicken out in the last minute that doesn't count, similar like having a thought "I will CTB today" and then take that thought as a failed try. This explanation seems logical, I believe others would agree

Reactions: CelestialDiana and little.one_777
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Welcome to the forum. I don't understand the meaning of the question.

Successful = being dead

Unsuccessful is everything else

It's not bad to back out and stop an attempt when you're unsure or you have doubts.

Reactions: little.one_777
L

little.one_777

Jun 12, 2024
Logically you'll have to commit/try and fail to count. If you chicken out in the last minute that doesn't count, similar like having a thought "I will CTB today" and then take that thought as a failed try. This explanation seems logical, I believe others would agree
Thanks 👍🏽

Reactions: Shadowpriest
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
It doesn't matter. When 1 of the creepy mental health people ask if I ever attempt to ctb i don't want to answer anyway because they're creepy assholes but I wouldn't know what to answer. I'm not sure what counts and what doesn't. Like when I tried to ctb with heroin, I shoulda known it wasn't gonna work. Does that count? I did more than I ever did. I was hoping it would work. I honestly didn't know but I knew there was high probability it wouldn't. Does chickening out count. You tried but SI got the best of you. Who cares what counts and what doesn't. It really doesn't matter. The only kind that matter are successful attempts and failed attempts with bad consequences. Like psych hospital or doing serious bodily injury but not dead.

MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
don't worry about it. nobody is here to judge. if it happens. it happens.

ADBoy777

ADBoy777

Student
May 16, 2024
I think people refers a failed attempt to someone who tried to commit and didn't manage to

Reactions: MyChoiceAlone and little.one_777
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Tortured by evil humans
Sep 24, 2020
In my view actually going through with the method then it failing for whatever reason would count as a failed attempt.

L

little.one_777

Jun 12, 2024
Does getting stopped count?

Reactions: MyChoiceAlone
Z-A

Z-A

Let me go
Mar 3, 2024
Does getting stopped count?
I mean, if you successfully hanged yourself but like 5 minutes later, someone finds you and calls the emergency, then of course it counts.

In my opinion, while you're in the process already and if you fail midway or get stopped by someone in that process, then you can definitely count that as an attempt.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
A suicide attempt simply refers to you attempting to kill yourself. If you attempt to kill yourself (with intentions of succeeding, not just as a cry for help) and fail then that would count as a failed suicide attempt. If you stopped yourself due to your SI acting up then I would still count it as a failed attempt. If you stopped because you didn't intend on killing yourself then I would say that you were engaging in self-harm instead. If you attempted it but then changed your mind then while I would refer to it as an attempt, I wouldn't categorize it as a failed/unsuccessful one.

Reactions: DeathSleep and little.one_777