Oblivion Lover

Oblivion Lover

No life, no suffering
May 30, 2019
A bit of a random question, but I'd like to know what are you guys' top five favorite cartoons, those that made your life enjoyable even if for a moment and now have a special place in your heart. You are also free to tell us why do you like those specific cartoons. Personally I didn't watch many cartoons as a kid, so my list is composed of relatively new cartoons that I watch/used to watch to distract myself from reality. I also don't really remember my childhood very well so I may be biased towards newer shows. My favorite cartoons are, in this order:

1-Steven Universe
Awesome storytelling, moving songs, progressive themes, beautiful animation, likeable characters. I can't even spot a flaw on this cartoon, and it hurts to know that I won't be around to see it end.

2-The Amazing World Of Gumball
I laughed so hard with this one that I almost forgot about how much I hated life, and the best part of it is that it was a show made with both kids and adults in mind. You can find a lot of subtle innapropiate jokes on it if you're an adult.

3-Adventure time
It's like a darker and more complicated version of Steven Universe. It didn't help with my depressed mood, and I struggled to understand the whole plot, but I still loved to watch it. I have yet to watch the final season.

4-Regular Show
It felt too random and/or vulgar for my taste sometimes, but I still found it to be enjoyable since it was very funny. The ending utterly destroyed me as I didn't expect it at all.

5-Cyberchase (the only one not from Cartoon Network)
To be honest I just added this one to complete my list. It's not really a favorite cartoon but it made learning math fun for me, so that's something that makes it stand out, I guess.

So, what about you guys? What are/used to be your favorite cartoons? Do you still watch them sometimes?

• Love
Reactions: flatearth, puppy9, death137 and 5 others
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Tom & Jerry
Tom & Jerry
Tom & Jerry
Tom & Jerry
Tom & Jerry.

Still howl with laughter every time I watch them, the old ones, not the newer versions.

• Love
Reactions: Fragile, death137, antigone_iris and 6 others
Hexen

Hexen

Student
Aug 12, 2019
Batman the animated series is the best cartoon series in the whole universe.

• Love
Reactions: death137, LuzurPhagget, Wolfjob_dayjob and 2 others
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I love cartoons/animation. Really, I'm just a big kid. I'm going to stick with fairly modern ones here. And omit anime, which is a completely different list for me.

- Samurai Jack
- Steven Universe
- Voltron (Netflix)
- Adventure Time
- Powerpuff Girls

Dexter's Lab, Bravest Warriors, and Final Space almost made the list. And I was tempted by Rick and Morty, but I really think that's in a different category.

• Wow
Reactions: flatearth, death137, antigone_iris and 3 others
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Ed Edd n Eddy
Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends
Danny Phantom
Spongebob Squarepants
Fairly Odd Parents

• Love
Reactions: flatearth, puppy9, death137 and 2 others
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
i'm really bad at choosing favorites and there are so many cartoons that i like, i was basically raised by tv and the internet so i'll just post some that i really like with no specific order.

-Futurama
this one is just amazing, it has everything. funny moments that are comedy gold, sad moments that literally make me cry even when watching for the 5th time, also that 90's/early 2000's nostalgia.

-south park
i grew up watching this and it shaped my sense of humor more than any other show, even the newer seasons are great despite having lost some of the magic.

-adventure time
the weird animation, childish imagination, and darkish undertones make this series great, i didn't watch it as a kid but i think i enjoyed it way more watching it as an adult.

-courage the cowardly dog
this one is so creepy, dark and scary. it baffles me that they made it for children, i love it mostly for nostalgia reasons. it is great but damn, some moments are deeply unsettling.

-bojack horseman
the ray it portrays depression, relationships, addictions, and also a touch of humor. it instantly clicked with me, it just feels so real even if the main characters are anthropomorphic animals.

there are so many more that i've deeply enjoyed that i can't think of them at the moment, watching media, specially from english speaking countries even if it isn't my mother language has been a huge portion of my life as sad as it may sound.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Black Sky, Disappointered, flatearth and 4 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Old school Scooby Doo
Dolan Duck
Family Guy (although the newer seasons are shit)
Big Mouth
Bob's Burgers

Reactions: Disappointered, death137, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
Trying to narrow this down between cartoon cartoons and those aimed at adults sucked. (I'm excluding the latter cuz I'd go on for years...) Anyways.

Spongebob, Rugrats, Hey Arnold - still rewatch them fairly often.
The My Little Pony reboot (before every episode was a musical episode or they accidentally pandered to adult fans - MLP is a special interest for me for like 20yrs, I *had* to.)
The new Ducktales (I got sucked in idk)

Reactions: LastFlowers, death137 and Wolfjob_dayjob
Sargasm

Sargasm

Compassion makes the world go 'round.
Jun 19, 2019
1. Futurama
Intelligent, funny, sad (Seymour!), it was and still is an amazing show.
2. Rick & Morty
Maybe a little overrated for all of the praise it gets, but it is a great show and a perfect demonstration of nihilism.
3. Scooby Doo
I could spend a year listing everything I love about this show.
4. Doug
A coming of age story that I related to at a time in my life when I really needed it.
5. G.I. Joe
My brother, cousin and I were obsessed with this show back in the 80's. We had hundreds of action figures and would spend hours digging and building bases in the backyard. The show certainly hasn't aged well, but I still maintain that Storm Shadow is the best character.

Honorable mention: Powerpuff Girls
Bubbles is my spirit animal.

Reactions: death137, antigone_iris, clownangel and 2 others
AnonymouslyBlue

AnonymouslyBlue

Sep 29, 2019
Rick and Morty
Ed Edd n Eddy
Old school Scooby Doo
Adventure Time
Final Space

Reactions: death137, antigone_iris, Wolfjob_dayjob and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Oh crap I didn't expect to be thinking about this so whatever springs to mind first.
Turtles, Cops, Heathcliff, Paddington and Mr Ben. Something like that, sure there's loads I'm not thinking of.

Reactions: death137 and Wolfjob_dayjob
LuzurPhagget

LuzurPhagget

Experienced
Sep 15, 2019
The Simpsons seasons 3-8. I've even bought those seasons on DVD. It's truly my taste in humour and also has genuinely heart-touching moments. It would have been nice if I could have had a partner to have shared my love of this show with. Oh well.

Spongebob's first 3 seasons is also hilarious!

Reactions: death137 and antigone_iris
Numbtopain97

Numbtopain97

deader than dead
Aug 10, 2019
Rick & Morty
Adventure Time
Big Mouth
Family Guy
Final Space

Reactions: death137 and antigone_iris
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
I found this thread a little late, but here's my top five:

1. Kids from Room 402 - creative storytelling, funny, cool characters

2. Tutenstein - made me curious about Ancient Egypt

3. Spongebob Squarepants - Squidward rules (relatable af and witty, good humor)

4. Totally Spies - girly and fun secret agent type cartoon

5. Garfield and Friends - I like Garfield's sarcasm

Reactions: lofticries, Dr Iron Arc, Fragile and 1 other person
Acerakis

Acerakis

Carer
Jun 5, 2020
Batman the Animated Series - I don't think any TV show has had such a lasting impact on me as this has.

Justice League Unlimited - Pretty much all the DC animated stuff is good but these two are the best, really upped the writing compared to the first season of Justice League and introduced me to a bunch of DC heroes I wouldn't know of otherwise.

Sonic Boom - Unfortunately will always be held low regard by people due to how bad the Boom games were. But the cartoon itself is some fantastic comedy to the point it has ruined all Sonic games for me because all the characters now seem so soulless in comparison.

Star Trek TAS - Basically just a bunch more episodes of the the original series, voiced by the cast and everything. Being animated let them do some interesting plots that would never be feasible with live action sets. Oh and Spock has to win a wizard duel to save Satan in one episode.

The Moomins - Best cartoon to just chill with. Ah I want to live in Moomin Valley and just go on adventures every day.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, Dr Iron Arc, Deleted member 19654 and 1 other person
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
Difficult to choose who you have so many favorites but I would say:

Courage the Cowardly Dog
Tom and Jerry
Ed, Edd n Eddy
The Powerpuff Girls
Codename: Kids Next Door

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, Deleted member 20852, Deleted member 19654 and 2 others
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Difficult to choose who you have so many favorites but I would say:

Courage the Cowardly Dog
Tom and Jerry
Ed, Edd n Eddy
The Powerpuff Girls
Codename: Kids Next Door
These are awesome! I used to watch them a lot when I was younger.

• Hugs
Reactions: death137
flatearth

flatearth

dot
Aug 27, 2020
5-Cyberchase (the only one not from Cartoon Network)
To be honest I just added this one to complete my list. It's not really a favorite cartoon but it made learning math fun for me, so that's something that makes it stand out, I guess.
wow, i completely forgot about that cartoon! thank you for reminding me :hug:
my favorite cartoons are: bojack horseman, rick and morty, clone high, gravity falls haha, and the amazing world of gumball as well! not ranked because i love them all equally :)

Reactions: Deleted member 19654
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
The 90's X-men cartoons
Ren and Stimpy
Hey! Arnold
Rugrats
AHHHHHHHHHH! Real monsters

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Looney Tunes
Scooby Doo (The original)
Wacky Races
Family Guy
The Simpsons

Reactions: andy69, Studio84 and Dr Iron Arc
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Family Guy
The Simpsons
pink panther
the little mermaid
beauty and the beast.

Reactions: Jumper Geo, Dr Iron Arc and Disappointered
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Oh man, I couldn't possibly name just five but I'll try. Keep in mind my actual top 5 would probably change very often.

-South Park: I think what I put in the "eye-opening recommendations thread" about the show should do the talking for me: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...aries-movies-reccomendation.51315/post-936299

-Futurama: Has some very poignant moments and Future stuff always fascinates me. A lot of what they "predict" feels like how it would really go. I still want sex robots and suicide booths to be real.

-Codename Kids Next Door: Probably my favorite Cartoon Network show ever. It speaks to the inner child more than anything else in my opinion.

-Star Vs. the Forces of Evil: It's weird. I only really love maybe like two episodes of this show for reasons that have to do with bitter catharsis but everything else about it was very interesting too even if the ending kind of rubs people the wrong way.

-Rick and Morty: No, my IQ is not very high and yes I'm aware there are some cringe fans (though some of the worst cases were acting like that as a prank which I can respect). I like this show not even because I consider myself a genius nihilist, which I don't, I just think that it does a really good job at toying with anyone familiar with all kinds of tropes. You don't need a theoretical physics degree to watch Rick and Morty, but you definitely need at least some awareness of film and TV tropes to get what they're referencing otherwise it's pretty easy to get bored by it. Also the depressing episodes do hit in my opinion and being co-created by Dan Harmon (who made probably my favorite live action show, Community) helps too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disappointered and antigone_iris
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
Albator (magnificent art, beautiful detachment from petty existence, higher purpose, love, magnanimous heroism) - this was/is by far my favorite. For some reason I never got into Japanime later on because I wasn't exposed to it until I was already an adult but this sort of falls into that category.

Garfield (cute witty critic of ambitious extroverts),

old Pink Panther (stylish innovative art, radical new 'reality', subtle allusion to mental/perceptual defects in the face of a tirelessly irritating normality),

Old Scooby Doo (group of friends, good drawing and voices, solving mysteries),

Barbapapa (new idea ie clickityclick barbatrick, cute characters, alternate world of goodness with easy adaptation to challenges)

honorable mention: Bugs Bunny (cute clever outsider using his wits to evade difficult situations)

I generally like Hannah Barbera better than Looney Toons, though I enjoyed both as a child.

Last edited:
Reactions: greebo6 and Dr Iron Arc
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019

1. King of the Hill (ironic wholesomeness)
2. Bob's Burgers (punk rock wholesomeness)
3. Futurama (stupid wholesomeness)

Reactions: flatearth and Dr Iron Arc
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i am not really a big toon watcher but a few also crossed my way:

bojack horseman: blew me away - u even forget it's toon
rick & morty: really fun to watch
nick knatterton: german toon - triggers childhood memories

other noteable stuff are movies: princess mononoke, akira.

Reactions: Viro_Major
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019
1. Bugs Bunny and Road Runner Show
2. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
3. Speed Racer
4. Bob's Burgers
5. Spongebob Squarepants

Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I should add another honorable mention which The Smurfs. I like them. they're cute.

Reactions: Viro_Major
É

Élégie

Student
Sep 24, 2019
Gravity Falls
Over the Garden Wall
Adventure Time
Regular Show
South Park (earlier seasons)
Love, Death and Robots

AfraidofEverything

AfraidofEverything

Living in my head
Jun 12, 2020
Futurama
Transformers
Little Bear
Rugrats
Wild Thornberries

Mostly just favorites from my childhood and so on.

StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
The Boondocks
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Gargoyles
Spongebob