StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Seems like a mess right now.
But who knows, maybe it will be in the UK's interest in the long run?
I don't know.
Do you have opinions on this subject?

Reactions: Deleted member 19276, Deleted member 23374, botanormal and 1 other person
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
No offense, I think Brexit was a reaaaally bad idea.

Reactions: sugar, puppy9, All washed up and 2 others
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
I'm sceptical about EU's not so long term existence.
EU's anti money laundering sh*t and other stupid directives like gdrp- they made that happen. But no one will ever tell. I play on all sides and for now I care about free trading zone, but it's going to be hard.

Reactions: mediocre, Fragile, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
I think it was a bad idea, and has been kind of a mess so far. Still hoping it turns out okay though.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654 and antigone_iris
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Cummings left office before end of the transition period lol
Apparently he is the "mastermind" of Brexit..

Reactions: botanormal
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
Not much will change from it. They just let it happen to give people the illusion that theyre in control. What does it matter wether they are ruled by career politians and elite interest groups in brussels or in london?
Cheers

Reactions: puppy9, Fragile, Good4Nothing and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Same as the US situation that saw trump elected.
A knee jerk reaction to a dis-empowered electorate who no longer trusted the system, so voted for a wild card under a series of comprehensive misunderstandings and over-simplifications propagated by irresponsible social media and propaganda.

Reactions: netrezven and Deleted member 19654
D

Deleted member 19276

Wizard
Jun 28, 2020
Sadly I would go as neutral, far from the UK.
I don't entirely understand it, to be honest. :mmm:

Reactions: Fragile
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
Don't worry mate we haf the colonial empire

Right?

eclipsee99

eclipsee99

You’re a sky full of stars~
Nov 20, 2020
i forgot about brexit after covid started if i'm honest lmao

Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
I think the UK is better off out of the suffocating bureaucracy that is the EU, but as I'm American I'm not sure it is really my place to comment. Seems to me the country that has the best deal is Norway, they're not in the EU so Brussels can't iron fist them into compliance but they also have the ability to travel throughout the EU like EU citizens.

FWIW, I read somewhere that Biden's election has effectively killed Brexit; something to do with the Good Friday Accords and the Ireland/Northern Ireland border. Hope I'm wrong, for the sake of the UK.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Fragile, TotallyIsolated and esse_est_percipi
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Biden's election has effectively killed Brexit; something to do with the Good Friday Accords and the Ireland/Northern Ireland border
Possibly.
The conservative party had 4 years to strike a trade deal with the US, but never did so, and now with a Biden administration it looks even less likely, as Biden is a globalist and identifies as of Irish origin, so not sympathetic to UK interests.
Without a comprehensive US-UK trade deal, the UK will be out on its own.

To be honest, with the new Covid World Order, Brexit is marginal issue now, at best. The current UK government is proving to be authoritarian, irrational and mildly tyrannical. But what's new.
What does it matter wether they are ruled by career politians and elite interest groups in brussels or in london?
Well, it's one more layer of bureaucracy, one more level of disconnect of ordinary citizens from the political and economic decision making which governs their lives.

But ultimately, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. One way or another, the world will become more and more uniform and integrated, with all the most important decisions delegated to international bodies and organizations.

Last edited:
Reactions: StateOfMind
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
Brexit is a disaster. It will probably be ongoing for at least another 20 years, and will probably result in Britain rejoining the EU.

It will cost billions just to rewrite all the laws we got from the EU, not to mention the increased cost of trading with our closest neighbours, and loss of bargaining power we'll suffer in international relations. It is categorically, unambiguously a TERRIBLE idea and will go down in history as the biggest mistake in British political history.

Frankly I'm done with Britain. This shitty little island can burn for all I care. I would consider emigrating, but like most of my fellow Brits my language skills are poor! Plus I'm too depressed to go through moving to another country on my own.

IMO Angela Merkel was right when she said that Britain needs to leave to see just how bad it will actually be. Hopefully a dose of harsh reality will wake us up!

Last edited:
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I couldn't make my mind up in 2016 and I still can't now. I suspect many other people here in U.K feel the same.

• Hugs
Reactions: Misfit72
Mistry420

Mistry420

I don’t even like rollercoasters
Feb 11, 2020
Lol I'm like scrolling through threads crying tryna find ways to die right now and I see "what are your thoughts on brexit" :') made me chuckle aha

Reactions: StateOfMind and Gnip
M

Misfit72

Student
Aug 25, 2020
I couldn't make my mind up in 2016 and I still can't now. I suspect many other people here in U.K feel the same.
Nor could I - my heart said leave but my head said remain, and I ended up voting for both, meaning that my ballot paper was spoilt. But even if I had voted remain, the result would have been the same. I came close enough to suicide nine months earlier for the police to get involved, and not long before the vote, I spoke to the Samaritans, as well as looking for a tree to hang myself from. I even looked at going to Ireland and jumping off the Cliffs of Moher.

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Nor could I - my heart said leave but my head said remain, and I ended up voting for both, meaning that my ballot paper was spoilt. But even if I had voted remain, the result would have been the same. I came close enough to suicide nine months earlier for the police to get involved, and not long before the vote, I spoke to the Samaritans, as well as looking for a tree to hang myself from. I even looked at going to Ireland and jumping off the Cliffs of Moher.
I'm sorry your struggling and its got so bad for you too.

Reactions: Misfit72
M

Misfit72

Student
Aug 25, 2020
I'm sorry your struggling and its got so bad for you too.

At least five years ago, it felt like I was the only one under a dark cloud. Now it feels like everyone in the country is, and that was before this bloody COVID. Leaving aside the political and economic uncertainty, it feels like I'm constantly have to explain and justify myself to other people, even though I'm no less appreciative of other European countries, their cultures and their languages than I was before.

Ironically, earlier in the year I got pains in my stomach, called for an ambulance and got taken to hospital, where I was told I had pancreatitis and had to have an operation to remove my gallbladder. While I was in physical pain, at least that was something that could be treated, which it was, successfully, thanks to the NHS, whereas with mental health, I haven't been treated with the respect I expect, which isn't that much.

Obviously I don't want to suggest that people who are physically ill, and terminally ill, are better off or have it easy, but if I were terminally ill, I'd try to spend as much time with family and friends as possible, even though there's nothing much in the way of a bucket list for me.

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Often a visual reaction triggers the empathy and understanding switch within people who are 'normal' ,'well' , 'happy' etc.. They see someone with broken bones in plaster or bandages where someone is cut that triggers the switch. You see -You react.
Physical illness is something easy to understand and relate to.
But mental health is within ,there are no bandages , its not obvious ,its mysterious and its complicated. It can scare people.
So the urge is to avoid ,run away and hide rather than approach and help.
This often doesn't help in encouraging respect.
And of course there are always those who think mental illness is nothing and people should simply 'pull themselves together' and get on with it.
This is the most disrespectful thing.
Sadly it happens.

I don't have a bucket list.

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
This is still going on? What a shit show, lol.

Reactions: StateOfMind
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
The UK made a big mistake, they're trying to be the new Switzerland,but no one will invest there as taxes are so high. I wanna see who will do the dirty work for them now, Immigration from the EU was the win factor, but Britts are also immigrants in many places including mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Brexit: omnishambles.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654 and Sherri
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Brexit makes no sense from a financial standpoint, I have already been seeing news reports that we may be expecting food shortages of certain items in January because the lorries will have difficulty crossing borders under the new rules.

Joe Biden isn't going to agree to some game changing US-UK trade deal either because he has Irish Catholic ancestry and a vetted interest in Ireland. It seems like we will end up with a no deal Brexit when it comes to the EU as well, which will cripple imports and exports.

Funny how people complained about immigrants and how EU migrants were the cause of job loss/overpopulation in the UK, motivating them to vote leave. If they care about overpopulation so much, why don't they tell the NHS to stop funding IVF and fertility treatments, spending millions of pounds on repeated fertility treatments when a lot of these efforts are futile, and tell people to adopt or foster one of the thousands of children stuck in the system? Instead, they want to punish immigrants, many of whom are the only ones willing to do the hard, dirty jobs that British natives don't want to partake in.

Reactions: TotallyIsolated
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
So, people are ordering stuff off Amazon in the UK from Europe, then they are surprised when they get stung for over £100 in customs & Excise duty now that Brexit is done. LOL WTF did you expect? Did you really think what would happen was what you were told?

Reactions: Sherri
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
It was a nice gig for the benefit of very few at the expense of very many.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
I used to be pro-EU but now I'm more balanced. It was a democratic choice which showed the British were willing to foster their sovereignty.

T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I used to be pro-EU but now I'm more balanced. It was a democratic choice which showed the British were willing to foster their sovereignty.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sovereignty - good one