• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
I know you're not allowed to join the army or marines after a depression diagnosis (I entertained the idea when I turned 18, but was denied by an army recruiter). Are there any other restrictions I should know about after my trip to the mental hospital? Just wondering if there would be anything I can't do or purchase with a concerning medical history—or even jobs that I would be rejected for on that basis.

Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
I think you would most likely be prohibited from purchasing or owning a gun. Though, I strongly suggest checking your state gun laws.

HiImPaul

HiImPaul

Student
Nov 5, 2021
I know you're not allowed to join the army or marines after a depression diagnosis (I entertained the idea when I turned 18, but was denied by an army recruiter). Are there any other restrictions I should know about after my trip to the mental hospital? Just wondering if there would be anything I can't do or purchase with a concerning medical history—or even jobs that I would be rejected for on that basis.
Like you mentioned I think the only job that could outright reject you is the military. Other jobs aren't even allowed to ask about your medical conditions unless it interferes with your work.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Like you mentioned I think the only job that could outright reject you is the military. Other jobs aren't even allowed to ask about your medical conditions unless it interferes with your work.

A Floridian once told me that they force every US citizen with mental problems to move to rural Florida. Is that true?

• Yay!
Reactions: random_observer, bed, Capsicum_Corral and 7 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I have been in the hospital ward and if memory serves me correct, it is a federal law here in the U.S. hat one can never ever purchase a firearm. I tried after my stay and was turned down in a flash with just a no and good by.

Walter
A Floridian once told me that they force every US citizen with mental problems to move to rural Florida. Is that true?
You are truly a hoot! REALLY love your post.!!!!

Thank you!!

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: little helpers, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, motel rooms and 1 other person
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
I think you would most likely be prohibited from purchasing or owning a gun. Though, I strongly suggest checking your state gun laws.

This is what happened to me. I no longer have the right to own firearms. I was told I could hire a lawyer to petition this to a judge for review. But I never bothered following up. I think this is on the federal level not just state laws.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy and whywere
O

Onkyo74893

Dec 11, 2021
In the U.S., you are not permitted to buy a firearm only if the mental hospital admission was involuntary.

• Informative
Reactions: little helpers and motel rooms
eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
In the U.S., you are not permitted to buy a firearm only if the mental hospital admission was involuntary.

Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to that kind of degrading and humiliating experience? It is the last place someone who is on edge should go. It makes people even more suicidal.

• Love
Reactions: MikeDeross82, oohiniyorafaad, _Minsk and 4 others
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Yes and it may only show up on the gun seller's background check of the customer if there was a court-ordered commitment, too. May not show up if it was just at a doctor/psych's discression and didn't involve a court order.

M

MostInteresting

Oct 21, 2021
A court ordered commitment is likely to happen if the person displayed behavior classified as public disturbance + : i..e, violence, and was then arrested for it. Hence, the extension to : previously violent individual not shooting the place up. It would be a violation of HIPPA to simply publish private persons' medical history. You would likely have to disclose it on your own - how else would they know ?

E

Elegy

Student
Nov 14, 2021
In USA, that depends on what state you reside. Laws vary from state to state.
Which loss of rights specifically are you concerned with. 2A rights?
Can't be removed without due legal process. In most states, you must be involuntarily admitted for X amount of time, and for X reason, before you lose your 2A rights. But Check your state laws on that. It's not Federal Law. I voluntarily admitted myself to a hospital ER under suicide watch, and, have not lost my 2A rights. As far as I know. Maybe I should try to purchase a new firearm, just to be sure? I might be on FBI shit list. Have I lost my right to vote? Not likely. Because I am not a convicted felon. However I did lose my Commercial driver right to transport Hazmat materials. But not bc I am cray cray. I've been Biploar forever, and that did not prevent me from transporting explosives and ammo to Army bases throughout the US. Hauled many a load. No, I lost my Hazamat endorsement bc I refused to pay TSA $150 to check if I might be a terrorist. I could not see any valid reason why I should pay for that shit out of My paycheck. Pay the Gov to prove I am Not a terrorist? The fuck I will. I switched to hauling lumber brick and steel instead of explosives. The pay was better too btw

Last edited:
ENDOFTIME

ENDOFTIME

Nov 3, 2021
Gun owning and certain jobs including military.

UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to that kind of degrading and humiliating experience? It is the last place someone who is on edge should go. It makes people even more suicidal.
I was given the option to sign in voluntarily and I took it.

It gave me a lot more freedom regarding my stay. The laws vary from state to state, though, so YMMV.

eternalmelancholy

eternalmelancholy

waiting for the bus
Mar 24, 2021
Yes and it may only show up on the gun seller's background check of the customer if there was a court-ordered commitment, too. May not show up if it was just at a doctor/psych's discression and didn't involve a court order.

I got charged with a misdemeanor that got dropped once I was released from the pysch ward. I think the cops do this on purpose as a way to confiscate your guns. I understand that if someone is mentally ill then they should probably not own guns. But I don't consider suicidal thoughts as a mental illness. I was told I could fight it in court to have it expunged. But I never followed up on it.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I got charged with a misdemeanor that got dropped once I was released from the pysch ward. I think the cops do this on purpose as a way to confiscate your guns. I understand that if someone is mentally ill then they should probably not own guns. But I don't consider suicidal thoughts as a mental illness. I was told I could fight it in court to have it expunged. But I never followed up on it.
Sorry that they confiscated your guns. :aw:
It's as wrong when it happens to voice-hearers, ptsd sufferers, manic-depressive people, and so on, as it is when it happens to one of us for being suicidal.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and eternalmelancholy
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
They are likely be under the impression that these places offer some form of effective treatment. Unfortunately, ethical and moral negligence permeate every sphere of psychiatry, and basic human rights often suffer under the mental-health-treatment-umbrella.
got charged with a misdemeanor that got dropped once I was released from the pysch ward. I think the cops do this on purpose as a way to confiscate your guns. I understand that if someone is mentally ill then they should probably not own guns. But I don't consider suicidal thoughts as a mental illness. I was told I could fight it in court to have it expunged. But I never followed up on it.
I wish you didnt have to go through that, my heart goes out to you... A mental illness diagnosis is probably one of the easiest ways of taking away a persons credibility and rights.

They often say a lot of things can be fought in court, but going through all that takes a lot of time and perseverance for the average person, not to mention money.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: noaccount and eternalmelancholy
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
Pilot license
Any jobs that requires security clearance

A psychiatric record functions like an expunged criminal record, for the most part it will not effect things but it will get in the way of many jobs that require trust.

• Informative
Reactions: GentleJerk
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Unfortunately you may be treated differently (likely less well) by the medical profession. You will likely have a harder time accessing proper care and may need to advocate for yourself much more than a person with no prior mental health diagnosis. They will be far more likely to dismiss and not investigate any health concerns you might have. I sincerely hope none of this happens to you, but it is a sad trend.

Reactions: MikeDeross82, little helpers, noaccount and 2 others
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
Unfortunately you may be treated differently (likely less well) by the medical profession. You will likely have a harder time accessing proper care and may need to advocate for yourself much more than a person with no prior mental health diagnosis. They will be far more likely to dismiss and not investigate any health concerns you might have. I sincerely hope none of this happens to you, but it is a sad trend.

Reactions: GentleJerk
little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
TRUE!!!! lol. had a buddy in the psych ward who told me he was heading there cuz "they got 'better' rehabs in Florida".

I'm fully convinced that the shrinks did something to his brain. fucking dirty shrinks. he didn't used to have no problems BEFORE getting detained. now I have to grieve our losing him. he's caught the "the Florida hype", deadly contagious.

Just kidding. ;)
^ This.

I suspect you'd also start finding yourself getting shipped to the psych ward whenever you express (irl) your suicidal ideation (that you ain't gonna even act on) and whatnot.

so be prepared to lie to doctors days and days on end. learn how to lie flawlessly. immediately. now.

that is, if you want to live trauma-free. "been sober from medical trauma since 1969" - hey man, here's your green chip.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: noaccount and GentleJerk