ebg

ebg

Sep 30, 2024
What are you currently reading? Can be a book, manga, article, etc. Feel free to share what you've liked/disliked so far, whether you recommend it to others, etc. Personally, I am reading the first Lord of the Rings book. I am liking it so far, I think having watched the movie helps with my ability to visualize what's going on.

• Love
Reactions: avoid, rih, Alexei_Kirillov and 1 other person
nomoredolor

nomoredolor

Sep 7, 2024
Jesus and John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mez
Cold Days (Dresden Files # 14)
The Talisman by Stephen King & Peter Straub
a book about autistic burnout I can't remember the name
LOTR was so surprisingly musical in the books!

• Love
Reactions: rih
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Right now I'm reading Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend by Alan Cumyn and whatever the fuck this shit is that I found at my local bookstore earlier today
Picsart 24 10 08 21 49 51 815
I don't know who the fuck Chuck Tingle is, but I will find them and I will fucking murder them

_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
I'm currently reading Dungeon Meshi (aka Delicious in Dungeon). I recently started the 5th volume. I'm really enjoying the series so far. It's a fun take on D&D themes and mechanics. I enjoy the cooking theme, too. The art and character design is great.

I saw the mangaka also wrote a world guide for the series. I'm thinking to read that when I complete the series.

91KOhhbSbxL

• Informative
Reactions: avoid, lamargue and rih
pollux

pollux

Knight of Infinite Resignation
May 24, 2024
Currently? ANSI/ISA 5.1-2009, unfortunately.

Though in the spirit of the question, Kino no Tabi (light novel).

• Aww..
Reactions: avoid
rih

rih

Aug 23, 2024
Currently reading Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris; no particular reason just found it among things while trying to clean. It's written well and the details and retelling is interesting. There's a few other book recc's in another thread I made if you'd like to find more! (And contribute eheh)

As for manga when I commute if it's too busy to take a book out i'm reading Usogui, it's pretty neat. About gambling though incase there's anybody with a TW for that kind of thing but it's so over the top it's just unconventional. It's great though.

Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_
wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

Too often I think about the nature of thinking...
Jan 12, 2024
Dune.

For the past year...lol.

avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
As you notice, I'm progressing criss-cross through multiple books. My mood dictates what I want to read so I want to have more than enough options on my e-reader. Though you could argue it's a lack of commitment; I'm easily distracted. πŸ˜… I have ordered the books by my rating despite not having read most of them to the end yet.

The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle [β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…]
Living in peace in her lilac wood, the Unicorn didn't know the world had changed, or that anything had happened to the rest of her kind. Overhearing a chance conversation, she resolves to venture out and discover the truth. The road is dangerous, and the risks are great. If she fails, then unicorns will be lost. Forever.​

Why Buddhism is True, by Robert Wright [β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…]
Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment is a book that journeys through psychology, philosophy, and lots of meditation to show how Buddhism holds the key to moral clarity and enduring happiness.​

Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman [β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…]
Daniel describes two systems, intuition and slow thinking, which helps us form our judgement. He walks us through the principles of behavioral economics and how we can avoid mistakes when the stakes are high.​

Spice and Wolf, Vol. 2, by Isuna Hasekura [β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…βœ°]
A light novel series that follows a traveling merchant who peddles various goods from town to town to make a living in a stylized historical setting with European influences. He meets a Pegan wolf-deity girl with a wolf's tail and ears. Together, as they travel, her wisdom helps increase his profits and her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church.​

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 11, by Fuse [β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…βœ°]
A light novel series that follows a salaryman who is murdered and then reincarnated in a sword and sorcery world as the titular slime, who goes on to gather allies to build his own nation of monsters.​

It's OK to Be Angry About Capitalism, by Bernie Sanders [β˜…β˜…β˜…βœ°βœ°]
A progressive takedown of the uber-capitalist status quo that has enriched millionaires and billionaires at the expense of the working class, and a blueprint for what the transformational change would actually look like.​

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, by Jordan Peterson [β˜…β˜…βœ°βœ°βœ°]
A journey broadly discussing discipline, freedom, adventure and responsibility, distilling the world's wisdom into 12 practical and profound rules for life.​

I whole-heartedly recommend The Last Unicorn to anyone who loves poetic, funny, magical, and heartbreaking stories. And I recommend Why Buddhism is True for its interesting approach to Buddhism by focusing on the naturalistic parts: ideas that fall squarely within modern psychology and philosophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jar-baby
lamargue

lamargue

infidel
Jun 5, 2024
i wish i could read again. i have no motivation for it anymore. the last thing i read was probably 2666 by Roberto Bolano, which i am still slowly trudging through

Houraisan_Kaguya

Houraisan_Kaguya

Oct 8, 2024
I've been reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez... or, rather, it's been sitting on my desk 80% complete for a month. Despite that I've really enjoyed it - I started reading literature primarily to experience stories that wouldn't fit into any other medium, and One Hundred Years of Solitude is the first book I've read that fits that to a T. Not only does the format allow for such a sprawling narrative with so many different characters whose stories can be jumped to at any time, but Marquez's stunning prose fits enhances the dreamlike atmosphere likely more than even the best director could achieve. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.

Reactions: lamargue and avoid