TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
I'm just wondering if there are any members who read for enjoyment. If so, what are you reading atm? Do you like it so far?

I am currently reading a book called A Taste for Poison by Neil Bradbury. I generally have a tough time reading nonfiction for extended periods of time, so I have to take frequent breaks (which is what I'm doing now, ha).

I've also been meaning to read a couple of Haruki Murakami novels I've had for a while: Norwegian Wood and Killing Commendatore. Is anyone familiar with his work?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Capsicum_Corral, Fwompje and hungry_ghost
Fwompje

Fwompje

life is cruel and time heals nothing
Feb 23, 2023
I'm currently reading the Colossus my Sylvia Plath, it's my favorite poetry collection after some dutch poems, I also like it better than her collection Ariel. It's very emotional and beautifully written. And I started Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre a while back, haven't really had the energy to read a whole book though.

I'm the same way with nonfiction, one a year is enough for me tbh hahaha!

You must read Murakami! One of my favorite writers. I'd recommend starting Norwegian Wood and perhaps another shorter one like After Dark. Personally didn't really like Killing Commendatore but I can say that the Wind-up Bird Chronicles are insanely amazing. Don't expect too much plot-wise, most things don't mean anything, it's mostly about your own interpretations and feelings when reading :)

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
Offline, I just read a Dean Koontz book (yeah, don't say it... lol) called The House at the End of the World. Standard Koontz fare. Not bad for what it is. Also just finished all 1000 pages of the LOTR for about the 8th time. If you want a rereadable book, that's the one.

Like Alice's Restaurant, you can get whatever you want. (on archive.org) About to finally read The Diamond Age. And here is the famous None Dare Call It Conspiracy.

Search any book or author and chances are you'll find them on archive.

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
I'm currently reading the Colossus my Sylvia Plath, it's my favorite poetry collection after some dutch poems, I also like it better than her collection Ariel. It's very emotional and beautifully written. And I started Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre a while back, haven't really had the energy to read a whole book though.

I'm the same way with nonfiction, one a year is enough for me tbh hahaha!

You must read Murakami! One of my favorite writers. I'd recommend starting Norwegian Wood and perhaps another shorter one like After Dark. Personally didn't really like Killing Commendatore but I can say that the Wind-up Bird Chronicles are insanely amazing. Don't expect too much plot-wise, most things don't mean anything, it's mostly about your own interpretations and feelings when reading :)
Oh yeah, I love Murakami, so I sorta know what to expect from him. šŸ˜Š I cannot remember which books of his I've already read, because my memory is shit. Lol. But I do enjoy his writing a great deal! I'll read Norwegian Wood first, per your suggestion.

I haven't had the energy/focus to read a book in its entirety either, not lately; but I've got a great lineup of new, unread fiction and nonfiction that I'm excited about anyway.

Do you have a favorite poem (or multiple poems) from the Sylvia Plath collection that you'd recommend?

• Love
Reactions: Fwompje
Fwompje

Fwompje

life is cruel and time heals nothing
Feb 23, 2023
Oh yeah, I love Murakami, so I sorta know what to expect from him. šŸ˜Š I cannot remember which books of his I've already read, because my memory is shit. Lol. But I do enjoy his writing a great deal! I'll read Norwegian Wood first, per your suggestion.

I haven't had the energy/focus to read a book in its entirety either, not lately; but I've got a great lineup of new, unread fiction and nonfiction that I'm excited about anyway.

Do you have a favorite poem (or multiple poems) from the Sylvia Plath collection that you'd recommend?
I do! My favorite from Colossus so far is "Moonrise". And I also really liked "I want, I want".

Tyrone Slothrop

Tyrone Slothrop

Mar 10, 2023
Nothing ATM because I've been caught up in some stuff IRL. Once that is fixed I'm going to read the bible, some Shakespeare (Hamlet probably), Plato's Republic, Dostoevsky, Dante, and Submission by Houellebecq

Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I'm reading Observer by Robert Lanza. It's a sci-fi on the multiverse theory and how the characters shift realities with the help of an implanted brain chip. Quite thought provoking, possibly true in the future.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I've been trying to reread on of my older books. I could never do so because of the pain.