J

jruo

Apr 25, 2023
I like to play very grindy MMORPG games while I watch horror movies, and meticulously catalogue, rate, than add to a goodlist badlist or mehlist for every single one on my LBD account. I than refer to these lists when I want to play a more focused game without needing to pay 100% attention. Goodlist for games that require only a bit more attention, meh for quite a bit, and bad for story heavy games.

I've been using this coping mechanism for 2 or 3 years now. I'm in a situation where I have to take care of my brothers dog since he bought a house he can barely afford. When I complain he threatens to get rid of them all and kick me out. He also pays and takes care of my mom who has full access to his money. She is in constant need of help and assistance, and has a lot of mental illnesses including Borderline personality which is extremely tough to deal with most days. I feel so stuck, but without these coping mechanisms to preoccupy my mind I'd be coping in worse ways and probably be gone by now. Lately though I've been feeling unfulfilled and as though things in my life are becoming stagnant. I feel so stuck.

What are some things you do to distract yourself from doing unhealthy and negative things to yourself/others? Do you consider these habits to be addictions? Are they only temporary solutions to something underlying that needs to be addressed? Or are you able to function without them?

Either way, I thank you for reading, I appreciate your time.

• Love
Reactions: heavyeyes, fallenangel444 and thankyou
thankyou

thankyou

Thank you šŸ™
Mar 2, 2023
Video games too. I used to not allow myself to have non-productive hobbies but video games are literally saving my life right now. Anything with heavy escapism. I've been also binging horror movies while gaming, and I mostly play building games, like I'll play Sims but only for building homes. And farming simulators like Stardew.

Curious what's an LBD account? Im a big fan of review sites for horror movies / video games so that's why I ask.

Reactions: jruo
fallenangel444

fallenangel444

ill be home soon
Apr 2, 2023
i proudly can say im 2 weeks free from sh since ive found a better coping mechanism its crafting :happy: and playing video games because it will distract my negative thoughts my therapist recommended this to me a week ago i also tried to buy lots of lego to killing my time. i dont think my current coping mechanism rn is an addiction for me more like a good habits and i still can function without them

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Stoldy and jruo
J

jruo

Apr 25, 2023
Video games too. I used to not allow myself to have non-productive hobbies but video games are literally saving my life right now. Anything with heavy escapism. I've been also binging horror movies while gaming, and I mostly play building games, like I'll play Sims but only for building homes. And farming simulators like Stardew.

Curious what's an LBD account? Im a big fan of review sites for horror movies / video games so that's why I ask.
Letterboxd, it has more quippy/short reviews and resource for finding where to find said movies more than anything(though there are a lot of very long reviews too). Kind of reminds me of twitter just a bit.
Lots of popular horror reviewers tend towards this site. It's kind of a meme within the community that tubi is the secret juggernaut for b-horror