Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I've read quite a few books. Rereading is unpleasant for me, so I need new book options.

Reactions: squiggles
MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Any help I can offer is gladly given :)
Mar 2, 2023
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, nothing else is required xD

Reactions: Stinger4771 and squiggles
MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Mar 2, 2023
when you say "series" do you mean something Outside of the main plot of Arthur? Cause if so, I gotta get my hands on dem paperz

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
every book in the PostSecret series

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Mar 2, 2023
aight, looks like I read all that xD thanks! I think imma start reading it again rn

Reactions: KrowaKovsky and squiggles
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
aight, looks like I read all that xD thanks! I think imma start reading it again rn
I read it last 10 yrs ago. Every other line was a punch line. It was stressful anticipating the next joke.

MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Mar 2, 2023
Sorry you went thru some shid that made you stress about humor :/ could NOT have been good... Also Discworld is great if you're unfamiliar (I'd be surprised xD)

• Love
Reactions: squiggles and LittleJem
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Sorry you went thru some shid that made you stress about humor :/ could NOT have been good... Also Discworld is great if you're unfamiliar (I'd be surprised xD)
Lol applies to Catch-22 also. Some authors overdo the jokes.

I read a few chapters of book 1. Is it worth reading? I heard the books aren't connected and there's over 40.

MissionSucksAssFul

MissionSucksAssFul

Mar 2, 2023
Lol applies to Catch-22 also. Some authors overdo the jokes.

I read a few chapters of book 1. Is it worth reading? I heard the books aren't connected and there's over 40.
BRUH! NOT CONNECTED??!!! someone done you dirty my guy xD they're all set in the same world and they crossover quite well! some of the main characters and plotlines even get multiple books, so there's plenty of continuity going around! I especially enjoyed them as a kid because the world starts out purely magical and slowly gets transformed by industrialization! (you even get a book about the development of actual trains xD)
Edit: even the first two books are the same story basicall in two parts xD

Last edited:
  • Love
G

glendaaa

Student
Jul 11, 2023
There's this book I read years ago that stuck with me, it called American elsewhere. Inspired by lovecraft.

• Love
SadPingu

SadPingu

Go out like a spark, my trauma and me.
Jul 27, 2023
My Best Friend's Exorcism
It's by Grady Hendrix. His books are excellent especially MBFE. Funny, scary, clever and in parts, touching.

J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
Which books/genres are your favourite?

Reactions: squiggles and Sweet Tart
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Reactions: squiggles and Sweet Tart
sometimes.sometimes

sometimes.sometimes

Student
Jun 4, 2023
There are a couple. There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury, I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison, and Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Reactions: squiggles and rationaltake
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
Have you read The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin? It's the last book I read.

littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I struggle to read books now in my state, but before my physical condition deteriorated to this point I was always a huge bookworm since I was very young, as books provided me with a temporary escape from my own pain and fucked up life circumstances. Some of my favourites off the top of my head include:

- The World According to Garp (John Irving)

- A House in the Sky (Amanda Lindhout)

- Room (Emma Donoghue). There were certain, brief parts of this book that I had to skip over due to some extremely triggering subject matter and I couldn't get through the details of it (thankfully there were some things that would happen shortly before the triggering thing that would indirectly warn me to skip over it), but it was a really good book overall imo.

- The Book of Negroes (Lawrence Hill)

- Pet Sematary (Stephen King). One time after going to the bathroom in the middle of the night after JUST finishing the book, I mistook the reflection of a bag of dog food in the door window for some horror creature staring through the window and I nearly hit the god damn ceiling.

- Haunted (Chuck Palahniuk). I learned the hard way that the cover glows in the dark.

- Flowers in the Attic (VC Andrews). SO messed up and I felt really off for a couple days after finishing it, but it was such a rollercoaster from the very beginning and I was glued to the pages. Despite the length of this list I'm actually a pretty tough sell when it comes to books, so if a book can do that for me (even if the subject matter is extremely difficult and fucked up), then I consider it a good one. It was like a car crash where you can't look away.

- Alive (Piers Paul Read)

- Rubyfruit Jungle (Rita Mae Brown)

- Reading Lolita in Tehran (Azar Nafisi)

- Glenkill (Leonie Swann). It's in German but it's basically a story about a bunch of sheep trying to solve a murder (told from the perspective of the sheep), and it just... works, haha. It's engaging but also really funny.

- Nineteen-Eighty-Four" (George Orwell). A pretty classic and typical answer, I know, but I absolutely love this book.

There are more, but the list is already really long so I'll leave it at that for now, lol. I also started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini) earlier this year; it's taking me a really long time to get through it because this illness doesn't want me to have nice things, and there are also a few parts that have been very difficult to get through so I've had to step away from it for a bit a few times because of that as well, but it's still been such a good and well-written book so far. I love books and reading and I wish my sick body and traumatized brain didn't make it so difficult sometimes.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: jello, squiggles, rationaltake and 1 other person
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I struggle to read books now in my state, but before my physical condition deteriorated to this point I was always a huge bookworm since I was very young, as books provided me with a temporary escape from my own pain and fucked up life circumstances. Some of my favourites off the top of my head include:

- The World According to Garp (John Irving)

- A House in the Sky (Amanda Lindhout)

- Room (Emma Donoghue). There were certain, brief parts of this book that I had to skip over due to some extremely triggering subject matter and I couldn't get through the details of it (thankfully there were some things that would happen shortly before the triggering thing that would indirectly warn me to skip over it), but it was a really good book overall imo.

- The Book of Negroes (Lawrence Hill)

- Pet Sematary (Stephen King). One time after going to the bathroom in the middle of the night after JUST finishing the book, I mistook the reflection of a bag of dog food in the door window for some horror creature staring through the window and I nearly hit the god damn ceiling.

- Haunted (Chuck Palahniuk). I learned the hard way that the cover glows in the dark.

- Flowers in the Attic (VC Andrews). SO messed up and I felt really off for a couple days after finishing it, but it was such a rollercoaster from the very beginning and I was glued to the pages. Despite the length of this list I'm actually a pretty tough sell when it comes to books, so if a book can do that for me (even if the subject matter is extremely difficult and fucked up), then I consider it a good one. It was like a car crash where you can't look away.

- Alive (Piers Paul Read)

- Rubyfruit Jungle (Rita Mae Brown)

- Reading Lolita in Tehran (Azar Nafisi)

- Glenkill (Leonie Swann). It's in German but it's basically a story about a bunch of sheep trying to solve a murder (told from the perspective of the sheep), and it just... works, haha. It's engaging but also really funny.

- Nineteen-Eighty-Four" (George Orwell). A pretty classic and typical answer, I know, but I absolutely love this book.

There are more, but the list is already really long so I'll leave it at that for now, lol. I also started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini) earlier this year; it's taking me a really long time to get through it because this illness doesn't want me to have nice things, and there are also a few parts that have been very difficult to get through so I've had to step away from it for a bit a few times because of that as well, but it's still been such a good and well-written book so far. I love books and reading and I wish my sick body and traumatized brain didn't make it so difficult sometimes.
What's your illness?

• Hugs
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
Classics but I don't like most of them. Sci Fi but I've dabbled in Asimov, etc.
For sci-fi— probably not a very original suggestion but have you read Blake Crouch's Dark Matter? It's one of my favourites.

Not sci-fi, and it's a novella, but it does sorta seem fitting for this forum so I'd also recommend Steven L. Peck's A Short Stay in Hell.

I adore Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal and The White, if you're up for some historical fiction.

I also second Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted and Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. And 1984 is honestly one of my favourites too, but yes, like the other poster said, that's not a very original suggestion either, lol.

• Love
Reactions: littlelungs, squiggles and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I also second Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted
this book is definitely in my list of books I want to read but I never have any time I've seen other than have reviewed it and have made lists of similar books also mention the book Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite have you read it or heard of it is it worth a read?

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
If you like fantasy I would highly recommend David gemmell. He is my favourite author and I've read all of his books many times over. The best place to start is legend

J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
this book is definitely in my list of books I want to read but I never have any time I've seen other than have reviewed it and have made lists of similar books also mention the book Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite have you read it or heard of it is it worth a read?
No, I don't think I've heard of it but I'll check it out!

Reactions: squiggles and psp3000
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
Even though I haven't read many books, this one gave me some time well spent. I could empathize with the main character who reminded me a lot.

The book is called "l'étranger" by Albert Camus

Sittichmutter

Sittichmutter

Student
Sep 16, 2021
"The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression" by Andrew Solomon

• Love
squiggles

squiggles

אשרה
Jul 28, 2023
the hidden life of trees by peter wohlleben. 🌳

• Wow
Reactions: Sittichmutter and MissionSucksAssFul
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
What's your illness?

I suffer (and I really do mean suffer) from myalgic encephalomyelitis. It's also known as chronic fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS, but I personally tend to avoid using the term "chronic fatigue syndrome" because it unfortunately often causes people to jump to conclusions about what it is, make jokes about it and/or downplay how serious it is. It's a ruthless chronic neuroimmune condition that gets worse (often permanently) with any physical and mental exertion, and in many cases robs a person of any semblance of an actual quality of life. There's currently no approved (scientifically-based) treatment or cure for it and the research is heavily lacking. Many people with this illness ultimately take their own lives, and sooner or later I'll also be part of that statistic.

Then add a whole whack of gastrointestinal and spinal issues, POTS, a fucked up immune system from birth, severe, treatment-resistant C-PTSD, GAD, MDD, BPD and disordered eating (rooted in the C-PTSD) into the mix along with all of the suffering that ME/CFS entails in its own right, and you've got a pretty solid recipe for a living hell.

Sorry for the long answer, but that really is the simplest way I can possibly describe everything that wreaks utter havoc on my body. But yeah... that's why I can't read anywhere near as much as I'd like to. 😔

• Informative
Reactions: Ambivalent1 and psp3000