F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I've seen some people on SS with an interest in philosophy. I took a class in high school lol, so I'm not an expert. Some users on here have been infinitely interesting in this respect.

So my question is this: what am I? I think I'm a nilhist. I don't think anything truly matters in the grand scheme of the universe. But my heart also breaks for every tragedy I read, I'm a big empath. So where do I fall on the philosophical spectrum for those more knowledgeable?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PlushieLover, puppy9 and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I'm not sure where you fall on the philosophical spectrum, I don't know enough about you.

I'm going to respond in a roundabout way and will circle back to your question.

The first philosophy course I ever took was the philolophy of human rights. For many of us in the class, it was our first philosophy course. We engaged with a lot of different philosophers, and the professor challenged us to set aside our own beliefs and preferences and prejudices, and look at a problem from the framework of the philosophies we were engaging with. It was really hard for a lot of students. It was an undergrad class that I was taking as a grad student, so I had to do extra work. Based on my interests, the professor turned me on to Michel Foucault, who was all about power and discourse -- how conversations are shaped and directed by those in power, how they define things, even people. I already had a love of linguistics, and Foucault's way of viewing things really resonated with me. I don't remember a lot of specifics of what I learned, but it helped shape how I view and analyze the world, and I still naturally use it today.

And of course, now I love Stoicism. I've always loved ethics, and Stoicism is all about applying virtues to daily living to help life flow more smoothly in our interactions with others. I've studied Buddhist philosophy as well, and I got a lot from it, but it doesn't resonate with me, however, the things I took from it that I really value complement Stoicism.

I shared these examples to illustrate that philosophy gives one a framework for understanding things, and when it resonates, it is fulfilling. The Stoic philosopher Epictetus says one goes to philosophy like one goes to the hospital when they are ill. I see religions as being philosophies as well, but no religion ever benefitted me the way that I've benefitted from Foucault, Barthes (another French philosopher who taught me the linguistic framework of cultural myths), and Stoicism. They teach me, they help me make sense of things according to my own ways of being, they enhance me, they help me to grow, and they heal me.

I wonder, what are the things you are passionate about? What is it that you want to fix? It could be something in yourself, or something in the world. I'm very extroverted, and I wanted to fix things in the world. My interests were linguistics and ethics. Does anything I've said in this paragraph bring something up in you, like a bell going off or something that raises its hand to be noticed?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jonbonesjones, puppy9, Myforevercharlie and 1 other person
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for your amazing response! I am extremely introverted, so the opposite of you. I'm passionate about ending the suffering of others but I don't see it as a possibility in this world, so a bit saccrine. I engage with these concepts because I'm human, I feel pain. But in my mind I see humans and everything else as irrelevant to in the grand scheme. But I also bawl my eyes out at a video of a dog being reunited with a veteran who has been gone for a year, so I don't know what to think lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9 and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Thanks for your amazing response! I am extremely introverted, so the opposite of you. I'm passionate about ending the suffering of others but I don't see it as a possibility in this world, so a bit saccrine. I engage with these concepts because I'm human, I feel pain. But in my mind I see humans and everything else as irrelevant to in the grand scheme. But I also bawl my eyes out at a video of a dog being reunited with a veteran who has been gone for a year, so I don't know what to think lol.

It's my pleasure! I love talking about stuff like this!

Hmmm...Maybe look up something like schools of philosophy, then pick random ones and look them up, watch YouTube videos, etc. Then when something resonates, you'll know. Maybe you'll find more than one, and they could be totally unrelated, or only seem to be.

Within different schools of philosophy, you'll find different philosophers. In Stoicism, there are several, and I definitely have my favorites and my least favorites. I'm drawn to the extroverts and the leaders, like Marcus Aurelius and Seneca, and at the other end is the cranky introvert Epictetus, who was a former slave and is kind of harsh, but still said some really good shit. I wouldn't hang out with him, though. Seneca gets on my nerves, too, probably because our personalities have some similarities, but his writing was brilliant when it wasn't overbearing (this is the first time I've come to realize why he bugs me, it's pretty funny). I love Marcus Aurelius because he was so focused on justice, and because he had all that power as a Roman emperor, yet constantly strove to keep his ego in check and to be in service as a leader, which is my ideal for the world, and I'm so sad that I don't see any living examples who are consistent like he was and truly dedicated to such things. Power corrupts, and he fought that. I genuinely admire him, and that's rare for me.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions, maybe they'll help, maybe not. :hug:

Oh yeah, you could also start a thread like, "What's your favorite philosophy/philosphers and why?" Something may come up to pique your interest I've seen nihilism mentioned many times, and of course efilism, anti-natalism, pessimism, and Schopenhauer.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Jonbonesjones, puppy9 and foxdie
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
It's my pleasure! I love talking about stuff like this!

Hmmm...Maybe look up something like schools of philosophy, then pick random ones and look them up, watch YouTube videos, etc. Then when something resonates, you'll know. Maybe you'll find more than one, and they could be totally unrelated, or only seem to be.

Within different schools of philosophy, you'll find different philosophers. In Stoicism, there are several, and I definitely have my favorites and my least favorites. I'm drawn to the extroverts and the leaders, like Marcus Aurelius and Seneca, and at the other end is the cranky introvert Epictetus, who was a former slave and is kind of harsh, but still said some really good shit. I wouldn't hang out with him, though. Seneca gets on my nerves, too, probably because our personalities have some similarities, but his writing was brilliant when it wasn't overbearing (this is the first time I've come to realize why he bugs me, it's pretty funny). I love Marcus Aurelius because he was so focused on justice, and because he had all that power as a Roman emperor, yet constantly strove to keep his ego in check and to be in service as a leader, which is my ideal for the world, and I'm so sad that I don't see any living examples who are consistent like he was and truly dedicated to such things. Power corrupts, and he fought that. I genuinely admire him, and that's rare for me.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions, maybe they'll help, maybe not. :hug:

Oh yeah, you could also start a thread like, "What's your favorite philosophy/philosphers and why?" Something may come up to pique your interest I've seen nihilism mentioned many times, and of course efilism, anti-natalism, pessimism, and Schopenhauer.

I won't lie, I put this thread as maybe bait for you haha. You have such an amazing perspective on these topics! I'll definitely research what you've mentioned when I'm sober haha.

• Love
Reactions: Jonbonesjones and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I love that bait! NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

Not sure if you're drinking or smoking, but in return for the nom noms...

Images 81

• Love
Reactions: puppy9 and foxdie
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I'm doing a combo of weed and whiskey because that's what works best for me haha. Ive read you're in Mexico and I'm jealous just for the potential beaches haha.
Oh yeah, you could also start a thread like, "What's your favorite philosophy/philosphers and why?"

I had some beers last night but it wasn't enough lol. I'm not sure where to start a topic like that, would it be suicide discussion or off topic? I worry about these minor things haha.

Last edited:
All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
You are a human. The question you meant to ask is 'who am I?'