N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Here is a very interesting wikipedia article on the (in)sanity of the historical Jesus Christ.

I don't want to hurt religious feelings but I think the question should be allowed to be asked.

I had psychosis and I was delusional. I have met a guy in a clinic for psychosis he had religious delusions. I think either he considered himself a prophet or Jesus Christ himself. The ironic thing is he said something similar like. "Look to how insane people they put me. All these crazy people." It is interesting many (not all) psychotic people can judge whether another person is delusional or not. (At least in real life on the internet that is way more difficult.) But making this judgement of your own mind is very difficult when you are delusional yourself. (due to inter-subjectivity)

In the bible many people are described who hear voices. They think God would talk to them. They feel like they were on a religious mission (like the guy who I met).

Or people think they were posssed by demons. Psychiatrists would nowadays probably give the diagnosis psychosis/schizophrenia/bipolar or a similar diagnosis.

However I am no expert on it. Maybe magical and spiritual thinking was more widespread to that time. Way more people believed in God, afterlife etc at that time. Not all of these people were just mentally ill I assume.

What do you think?

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep, MentalStefan and Un-
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
No - mental illness is not prediscursive. Considering certain states of mind to be diseases only exists in certain cultures.

Reactions: MentalStefan and merlin2020
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
There's an article about that dedicated to Jesus Christ? I guess I'm not surprised.

The old testament included a lunatic suffering from what would today easily be categorized as psychosis that is dangerous to society. I think the old testament is one of the creepiest books ever compiled and I would definitely consider some of its protagonists to be gravelly ill.

Reactions: MentalStefan, lachrymost and makethepainstop
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Here is a very interesting wikipedia article on the (in)sanity of the historical Jesus Christ.

I don't want to hurt religious feelings but I think the question should be allowed to be asked.

I had psychosis and I was delusional. I have met a guy in a clinic for psychosis he had religious delusions. I think either he considered himself a prophet or Jesus Christ himself. The ironic thing is he said something similar like. "Look to how insane people they put me. All these crazy people." It is interesting many (not all) psychotic people can judge whether another person is delusional or not. (At least in real life on the internet that is way more difficult.) But making this judgement of your own mind is very difficult when you are delusional yourself. (due to inter-subjectivity)

In the bible many people are described who hear voices. They think God would talk to them. They feel like they were on a religious mission (like the guy who I met).

Or people think they were posssed by demons. Psychiatrists would nowadays probably give the diagnosis psychosis/schizophrenia/bipolar or a similar diagnosis.

However I am no expert on it. Maybe magical and spiritual thinking was more widespread to that time. Way more people believed in God, afterlife etc at that time. Not all of these people were just mentally ill I assume.

What do you think?
Try telling people that you can walk on water, raise the dead, turn wine into water, get pregnant without sex, speak to animals.........Dude, you would so be in a mental hospital both stat and with the quickness. Imagine sitting and having conversations with animals, and other people seeing you "talking" to your animal buddies in along conversation?!! Again, off to the loonie bin you go! Then you have bad water, poisonous plants, rancid meat, and ergot fungus on rye that can cause hallucinations., that make LSD look tame. Then you have a man who was going to kill his son cause God told him to do so?!! Try that today and see what happens. I am sure there is some force you would call God, but not God as most people see a human figure, but a mega, supreme intelligent energy, Ok love to all here as always.

• Love
Reactions: DeIetedUser4739, Twntysix, RainAndSadness and 8 others
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
It literally doesn't mean anything to call a state of mind a disease - faith in the DSM is ironically just another religion itself.

Reactions: rationaltake, MentalStefan, Cold and 3 others
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
It literally doesn't mean anything to call a state of mind a disease - faith in the DSM is ironically just another religion itself.
Very good point, because it's in print, we must follow it.

Reactions: Fulminare
B

Banshee

Student
Oct 25, 2021
I believe people that truly believe in the Bible, or believe in any religion are mentally ill.

• Hugs
Reactions: RainAndSadness, Forever Sleep, Cold and 4 others
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I believe people that truly believe in the Bible, or believe in any religion are mentally ill.
Their reasoning is someone else saw it, wrote it down thousands of years ago, and I was told to believe it as a kid.....so I believe it. There is also the added threat of unlimited punishment when you die to ensure compliance to whatever religion is trying to make you believe. A punishment that no one can prove exists! So by the same nutty religious logic, Wonder Woman exists, because I have WW comic books and movies!😋 So Hail Zeus, Hail Thor.... I believe, hallajujah, I believe! Most religious stuff was designed to make and mould common people into groups.

Reactions: Twntysix and MentalStefan
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
You've trapped yourself in an endless recursive loop!

• Hmph!
Reactions: makethepainstop
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
> Be on the internet

> Identify all religion as a mental illness

> Discover the concept of mental illness is itself a religious one with psychs as priests

> Repeats loop

Reactions: lachrymost and c0rbasson
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
> Be on the internet

> Identify all religion as a mental illness

> Discover the concept of mental illness is itself a religious one with psychs as priests

> Repeats loop
I strongly doubt that mental illness is equivalent to religion.

Most people who study medicine, theology or psychology would call this claim insane.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: looking_for_peace and noaccount
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I strongly doubt that mental illness is equivalent to religion.

Most people who study medicine, theology or psychology would call this claim insane.
Oh yes mental illness and religion get along quite well. Pious and devout religious nutcases carried out the Spanish Inquisition, enslaved people, carried out genocidal wars, burned people as witches, looted the ancient cultures in the new world of gold and precious gems. And I don't doubt they would have been singing mighty choruses of "Bringing in the Sheaves", had that hymn been written back then. So as I see it, there is a strain of mental illness that is of a religious nature. Those types feel it's ok to torture, kill, enslave, and murder others, as long as they are doing it for the Lord. Hallajujah, Hallajujah, I say!😎

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Oh yes mental illness and religion get along quite well. Pious and devout religious nutcases carried out the Spanish Inquisition, enslaved people, carried out genocidal wars, burned people as witches, looted the ancient cultures in the new world of gold and precious gems. And I don't doubt they would have been singing mighty choruses of "Bringing in the Sheaves", had that hymn been written back then. So as I see it, there is a strain of mental illness that is of a religious nature. Those types feel it's ok to torture, kill, enslave, and murder others, as long as they are doing it for the Lord. Hallajujah, Hallajujah, I say!😎
How comes that without my antipsychotic medication I was often delusional and close to complete insanity. And since I am taking them again I feel more resilient, I can think straight again, I am less paranoid, less mood-swings and I am even able to go to college again.
Without my medication I broke down the first time I tried it after a few of months.

The same with my sister.

I experience a real difference since I am taking the medication. And I did not believe in it. This is why I did not take the medication for more than 1 year. But I became more and more delusional. When I re-started to take them I felt more orderly in my head.

Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
We know close to norhing about the real Jesus but judging purely based on the speeches and sayings attributed to him, he does not strike me as 'mentally ill' or delusional at all. Seeking shelter in the realm of spirituality seems like a very reasonable thing to do in an age of such relentless brutality.
Get off your high horse Mr. Enlightened Atheist. None of your moral beliefs have any grounding in empirical reality either. Condeming religious belief just for being 'false' is pretty weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: rationaltake
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
How comes that without my antipsychotic medication I was often delusional and close to complete insanity. And since I am taking them again I feel more resilient, I can think straight again, I am less paranoid, less mood-swings and I am even able to go to college again.
Without my medication I broke down the first time I tried it after a few of months.

The same with my sister.

I experience a real difference since I am taking the medication. And I did not believe in it. This is why I did not take the medication for more than 1 year. But I became more and more delusional. When I re-started to take them I felt more orderly in my head.
If medication helps, do take it of course. I can't stand to see anyone hurting. But all humans are controlled by our genetics, and shaped by our environment. Many things can cause us problems, there are toxics in nature, moulds, bacteria, viruses, plant and elemental toxins......things that can effect our brains. With science we are beginning to understand so many things.... perhaps in the future all people will be perfect.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Don't underestimate what cumulative exaggerations and memory reconstruction can lead to. It's possible that most events in religious beliefs happened, but in a very different way from what was documented. I don't think most of the people involved had any adverse mind conditions.

Reactions: rationaltake
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
@noname223 I'm really sorry you're determined to miss the point this fucking badly, but you do you I guess baby
(What you're describing is mental DISTRESS.)
Your plan, obviously, is to just keep pretending that anyone who points logical fallacies out is "telling you to not take drugs" until you die I guess.

B

Banshee

Student
Oct 25, 2021
We know close to norhing about the real Jesus but judging purely based on the speeches and sayings attributed to him, he does not strike me as 'mentally ill' or delusional at all. Seeking shelter in the realm of spirituality seems like a very reasonable thing to do in an age of such relentless brutality.

Get off your high horse Mr. Enlightened Atheist. None of your moral beliefs have any grounding in empirical reality either. Condeming religious belief just for being 'false' is pretty weak.
I tend not to believe in religions that are extremely associated with child molestation, slaughtering gays, and tossing acid on women. Maybe you enjoy them and all those things, but I don't. Also, I used mentally "ill" because people would have been up in arms and I would have been banned if I had of used the word I replaced with "ill".

Reactions: makethepainstop
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Well show some balls and use it then, say what you mean if you're not a pussy.

Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021

What do you think?
I don't think so. But I do think so, at the same time. I don't think you can make any conclusions, especially in a book that's designed to make Christianity and Jesus look like the good guys.

But times back then were really rough. It's not difficult to see that there could've been more mentally ill people then than now, because NOW we treat people, we try not to stigmatise them, we take it seriously, and so on. I mean, in the 1900s, if women showed emotion, they would literally be looked at as crazy. That insanity would probably be tenfold for everyone back B.C.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was concluded that they were mentally ill. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't mentally ill. Either way, people can believe in what they want as long as they don't hurt anybody.

Reactions: Twntysix
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
@noname223 I'm really sorry you're determined to miss the point this fucking badly, but you do you I guess baby
(What you're describing is mental DISTRESS.)
Your plan, obviously, is to just keep pretending that anyone who points logical fallacies out is "telling you to not take drugs" until you die I guess.
Not really it was mental illness and not simple mental distress. I showed many symptoms which you can find in the ICD or DSM (when you look up my diagnosis). Then I took the exact medication which is suggested from psychiatrists to treat this illness and it reduced my symptoms in a decisive way.

I was in a clinic for people with psychosis and observed similar developments in other patients. The one's who did not take it were clearly delusional. For example they called themselves Jesus or thought they were the direct cause of the covid pandemic. Or they heard voices and interpreted that as if God would speak to them directly.

That is not just mental distress. That is mental illness.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Un- and makethepainstop
M

merlin2020

Dec 1, 2022
Why to describe some extraordinary experiences as "mental illness"? Sounds like mainstream school medicin theory.Religion is a special way of relating to the world and all beings in the world.why should these things automaticly abnormal?
everyone who follows spiritual ways for a longer time knows that there are a lot more things between earth and sky as we normally think.
psychiatrists don't know the truth about spiritual experiences,the most of them know nothing about this things.

• Hugs
Reactions: noaccount
B

Bengal

Nov 17, 2022
I don't waste my time w these thoughts. I don't think anyone has a clue what happens next. I will (or won't) find out soon enough what the deal is. Hopefully

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Not really it was mental illness and not simple mental distress. I showed many symptoms which you can find in the ICD or DSM (when you look up my diagnosis). Then I took the exact medication which is suggested from psychiatrists to treat this illness and it reduced my symptoms in a decisive way.

I was in a clinic for people with psychosis and observed similar developments in other patients. The one's who did not take it were clearly delusional. For example they called themselves Jesus or thought they were the direct cause of the covid pandemic. Or they heard voices and interpreted that as if God would speak to them directly.

That is not just mental distress. That is mental illness.
I understand wanting to CTB but choking to death on the boot you're licking is a helluva way to go.

Also ooga booga I'm coming to take all your drugs away.

• Wow
Reactions: noname223 and makethepainstop
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I understand wanting to CTB but choking to death on the boot you're licking is a helluva way to go.

Also ooga booga I'm coming to take all your drugs away.
Is this a rational argument or just an ad hominem argument because you have no better more substantial reply? I assume the latter one.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Ok pussy won't even say what the fuck you mean "waaa I might be ~censored~ by uh someone disagreeing with me because I can't handle criticism without crying"

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
I'm of the opinion that religions are fed to humans via interdimensional entities and then affirmed via mystical experiences and enforced via programming and fear.

As a former Christian who studied every sect, I believe that "Jesus" is a thought-form entity, a Tulpa, formed from a millennia of human collective consciousness.

A vast amount of people all sharing a similar thought and concept has a lot of psychic energy and power.

I'm currently reading the Qu'ran and its clear that it was a direct challenge to what was then, Byzantine Christianity.

And really, you can't win.

Islam says you will be punished for associating partners with God (namely, Jesus), and Christianity tells you you will be punished for not believing specifically in Jesus.

So which one are you to conform to and ensure is correct before your death so that you don't go to hell?

It's all just divisive, fear-mongering bullshit meant to keep humanity splintered instead of coming together.

Reactions: Twntysix, apple2myeye! and Angst Filled Fuck Up
B

Banshee

Student
Oct 25, 2021
Ok pussy won't even say what the fuck you mean "waaa I might be ~censored~ by uh someone disagreeing with me because I can't handle criticism without crying"
Shut up you fucking retard. You're the one that got pressed about someone commenting on religion. I'm sorry that you're pro-religion and pro-child molestation. Calling me a pussy over your love of cultish kiddy touchers lol. I don't care if people criticize my comment. I still stick with it. If you truly believe in a God, sorry, you're mentally retarded and gullible.