Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Despite me making so many posts about how shitty, toxic, and abusive my home life is, I emailed the head of the dorm department at my school to ask about moving out early

I have made no attempt to connect with my roommates. No attempt to sleep over. Even the idea of doing either gives me panic attacks

I'm wasting money, and taking up space for someone who really wants to use the dorms. If I don't hear back I'll go to my school tomorrow morning to have an in person discussion. Maybe I could even get some money refunded (though if not I'm even a bigger financially liability to my dad)

I failed. I fucked up and I failed. So much for preaching going no contact and trying to be independent

I'm a failure. A fraud. I deserve to die

I feel I disappointed the many of you who wanted to see me succeed in this. I'm sorry I failed you

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, LoiteringClouds and Aim
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for you. Can you get a place of your own? As someone who is NC with family, I think that's best, but it would have to be your own place, not a homeless hostel or something.

Reactions: loopdaloop
P

Photographer Fizzle

Nov 18, 2023
I understand.
I went no contact for 5.5 years but suffered multiple job losses and financial struggles (including multiple stints couchsurfing and being actually homeless). I had to return here or to the streets a few months ago. It's always embarrassing to say because I have a college degree and debt and feel like a complete failure. I struggle with C-PSTD from the abuse and the complexities of poverty and low self worth from same.
This place is as invalidating and cold as it was 20 years ago when I graduated high school.

As for advice, if you're interested: FInd safe places outside the house for escape that are ideally walking distance or along the bus routes.
Go there often. Even before you feel provoked.
I cope with food but cannot afford to eat much anymore. Your coping mechanism(s) will probably be on overdrive. Indulge if you need to and if you can. They might not be as healthy as some people's but they will keep you alive (assuming you want that).

College is valuable, I think, especially for those of us with trauma backgrounds. It helps us become independent and learn to individuate in the way we could never with in our trauma environments. But it's expensive. College can also be isolating. Almost no one is making you attend meetups and clubs, and so your tendencies to retreat into yourself might be trigger automatically. However, being away from that damagung environment is the crucial first step. College is helpful because it gives you some structure and a place to be in the meantime. Use those years to figure out how to never return. I didn't do that. I was an international student in the U.S. Only a tiny number of us stay passed the end of our student visas, and many of them are women who have found American husbands there. I never expected to be among that number.

My degree is virtually useless where I am (outside the U.S.). I'd say take at most a few months to recalibrate anr prepare and then return to college for a degree in IT, compsci, informatjon security, software engineering or similar. The thresholds are lower than traditional sciences, though you might be faced with some calculus, stats and other harder math (assuming you're not a fan of such). You have potential to make a lot of money with those careers. Money is important. You need it to escape. It gives you freedom. I used to have stupid idealistic notions of not needing money or wanting to be bound to wage slavery. That's the world we live in. If you're going to be here, and don't want to be destitute, you'll need to figure out a path. And you definitely can't rely on the narcs even if they do offer a bed and a bathroom or even some money. They can't offer the emotional support you need. They never will. Having money means you can control where you live and to some extent who you surround yourself with. You can build your own roster of supportive, compassionate allies. But you can't do that from a diminished position.

I've been trying to teach myself software development. It's fun most times but tough and slow (I have depressive episodes that make me unable to study), and I finding work would be tough ( though not impossible a lot of people say from their experiences) without the college background.
Again, I am a failure, but I can at least suggest the above as what not to dos and what I might have done if I knew then what I know now.

I don't know the details of your situation and I apologize if I'm offering options that are impossible for whatever reasons are specific to you. I assume you are American and in America and have access to FAFSA and pell grants (assuming you meet the income threshold) and such. I'm assuming that you have access to aid and can attend a university or college in state at reduced tuition.

I hope some of this helps.
This is the information I could have used 12 years ago from someone who understood my trauma. I didn't have that. I hope, unsolicited as this advice and as unhelpful as I might seem as a source, to be that person for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: WonderingSoul
Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Hugs.
I understand how that is.
I went no contact for 5.5 years but suffered multiple job losses and financial struggles (including multiple stints couchsurfing and being actually homeless). I had to return here or to the streets a few months ago. It's always embarrassing to say because I have a college degree and debt and feel like a complete failure. I struggle with C-PSTD from the abuse and the complexities of poverty and low self worth from same.
This place is as invalidating and cold as it was 20 years ago when I graduated high school.

As for advice, if you're interested: FInd safe places outside the house for escape that are ideally walking distance or along the bus routes.
Go there often. Even before you feel provoked.
I cope with food but cannot afford to eat much anymore. Your coping mechanism(s) will probably be on overdrive. Indulge if you need to and if you can. They might not be as healthy as some people's but they will keep you alive (assuming you want that).

College is valuable, I think, especially for those of us with trauma backgrounds. It helps us become independent and learn to individuate in the way we could never with in our trauma environments. But it's expensive. College can also be isolating. Almost no one is making you attend meetups and clubs, and so your tendencies to retreat into yourself might be trigger automatically. However, being away from that damagung environment is the crucial first step. College is helpful because it gives you some structure and a place to be in the meantime. Use those years to figure out how to never return. I didn't do that. I was an international student in the U.S. Only a tiny number of us stay passed the end of our student visas, and many of them are women who have found American husbands there. I never expected to be among that number.

My degree is virtually useless where I am (outside the U.S.). I'd say take at most a few months to recalibrate anr prepare and then return to college for a degree in IT, compsci, informatjon security, software engineering or similar. The thresholds are lower than traditional sciences, though you might be faced with some calculus, stats and other harder math (assuming you're not a fan of such). You have potential to make a lot of money with those careers. Money is important. You need it to escape. It gives you freedom. I used to have stupid idealistic notions of not needing money or wanting to be bound to wage slavery. That's the world we live in. If you're going to be here, and don't want to be destitute, you'll need to figure out a path. And you definitely can't rely on the narcs even if they do offer a bed and a bathroom or even some money. They can't offer the emotional support you need. They never will. Having money means you can control where you live and to some extent who you surround yourself with. You can build your own roster of supportive, compassionate allies. But you can't do that from a diminished position.

I've been trying to teach myself software development. It's fun most times but tough and slow (I have depressive episodes that make me unable to study), and I finding work would be tough ( though not impossible a lot of people say from their experiences) without the college background.
Again, I am a failure, but I can at least suggest the above as what not to dos and what I might have done if I knew then what I know now.

I don't know the details of your situation and I apologize if I'm offering options that are impossible for whatever reasons are specific to you. I assume you are American and in America and have access to FAFSA and pell grants (assuming you meet the income threshold) and such. I'm assuming that you have access to aid and can attend a university or college in state at reduced tuition.

I hope some of this helps.
This is the information I could have used 12 years ago from someone who understood my trauma. I didn't have that. I hope, unsolicited as this advice and as unhelpful as I might seem as a source, to be that person for you.
I am so sorry for your own struggles. Having to move back in with the narc is such a demoralizing experience. For others, family is a safe space. For us, its literally going backwards in the worst way possible

I usually am on my feet everyday out the house. Though I sometimes stay home, I'm usually hanging with friends or studying outside. I am also trying to get my degree in social work (masters) which will open up a lot of jobs for me. And I could start making 50-70k a year fresh out of getting my license which is great

I do take out loans for school, and additionally more for living on campus. But its so much money and while I had a dorm this smsester I barely used it and treated it like a commuter student. So I'm considering moving back home (I know retarded) for when I am ready to make that move

It's hard, but I am committed to school. But being around narcs suck. My dad is honestly the worst. My main abuser mom passed away, though it woke me up to the enmeshment, infantilization, and other toxic traits of my father. He is that person who believes "well I go to work and give everyone money so I am a good person" and will conveniently forget doing abusive things. So he can go fuck himself. If he ever one day questions what he did wrong I'll say "I'd like to tell you but since you have a bad memory it won't do any good. I don't want to have to explain myself over and over to someone who has no memory. Sorry" and move forward

Reactions: Photographer Fizzle
P

Photographer Fizzle

Nov 18, 2023
I am so sorry for your own struggles. Having to move back in with the narc is such a demoralizing experience. For others, family is a safe space. For us, its literally going backwards in the worst way possible

I usually am on my feet everyday out the house. Though I sometimes stay home, I'm usually hanging with friends or studying outside. I am also trying to get my degree in social work (masters) which will open up a lot of jobs for me. And I could start making 50-70k a year fresh out of getting my license which is great

I do take out loans for school, and additionally more for living on campus. But its so much money and while I had a dorm this smsester I barely used it and treated it like a commuter student. So I'm considering moving back home (I know retarded) for when I am ready to make that move

It's hard, but I am committed to school. But being around narcs suck. My dad is honestly the worst. My main abuser mom passed away, though it woke me up to the enmeshment, infantilization, and other toxic traits of my father. He is that person who believes "well I go to work and give everyone money so I am a good person" and will conveniently forget doing abusive things. So he can go fuck himself. If he ever one day questions what he did wrong I'll say "I'd like to tell you but since you have a bad memory it won't do any good. I don't want to have to explain myself over and over to someone who has no memory. Sorry" and move forward
Great!
I admire that you have a path and a way out.
I hope you win.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Great!
I admire that you have a path and a way out.
I hope you win.
I will try. Tbh I really want to pull that shit on my dad. Where he asks me if he ever "did anything wrong" and be like "i don't know if I should say anything since you have bad memory" and if he claims he wants my help I could be like "well it seems you've always dealt with bad memory. Sounds like something you should get looked into medically. I don't think me constantly repeating myself is going to fix it. But it's up to you if you think it's important to fix"

Shift the blame right back on him