Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
In 201x, I started to suffer from severe paranoia. I had believed that my parents had put a poison on my meal, had planned a murder to kill me.
The hatred towards my parents had induced me to severe depression and paranoia to some extend, then I started to suspect them plainly.
Finally I asked my doctor for some help on my will(Anyway, sometimes, I had been fine), so I was sent to a large hospital of a major medical university.

Then, somebody will ask me in this time. What? You had severe paranoia and mental illnesses!
Couldn't your parents send you to any psych ward on their & an any doctor's accord only? W, with your accord and consent..?

No, they couldn't. They could never send me to that without my consent. Unless they satisfied some strict and difficult conditions.

When I read some stories about psych wards and arrests without warrant by the police in Western culture, I used to be astonished so much.

The police arrest a citizen in SK without any approval or consent or warrant in South Korea? It is impossible practically.
It will be a shocking material to the press, and maybe all citizens in SK will rise up when these incidents are known to people.

There was a large & iron gate in my closed psych ward. Only authorised people could open that with their card key.
Some male nurses used to watch us in 24h/7d. But its purpose was our safety only.
They didn't touch or interfere us without our request or consent. They helped us receive parcels from the outside.
Anyway, I took some medical examinations and was prescribed some medications. I had to took lithium carbonate, and it worked well.

It was a huge cell. It had two clean toilets, two large wards, medium sized TV, book shelves, medium sized windows, and a sports good.
I had a shame I could not read The Third Wave by Alvin Toffler well... I was a dead body for a few days, but everyone was so sweet and warm.
Doctors too. They used to apologise to me even their minor mistakes, and I had not considered them as minor mistakes!

I could carry some books into my ward. I used to take some medication, and go to sleep in a routine of this ward.
I used to draw some pictures, or to hear some music. Well, in this point, somebody will ask me again.

Wait, Had you been abused by other? Did they experiment on you?
No they had not and they did not. I can swear that nobody did abuse or harass on purpose or without their thinking.

Surely they used to restrict other's body, but only in emergency. For example, self harm, attempt to kill other patient or medical team, etc.
And they did never use any violent or immoderate method. So far as I know, all medical teams were kind, polite and sincere.

They prohibit us from attempting to harm other or to do CTB of course. I could not have sharp things and any kind of string.
But that was all. Personally, I had no objection to that. Nobody disobeyed. Nobody was not hurt or painful. This place was peaceful and amused for me.

Sometimes, students of medical universities came here. I talked with them for a while, it was interesting and they were interested in me too.
There was a certain reason for that, but I would like to focus on describing my life in the psych ward in South Korea now.

Once, the police of South Korea could arrest their citizens without warrant, but it is an old and shameful history now.
Once, the parents could send their children to a psych ward without their consent or any approval, but it is an old and shameful history now.
Citizens of SK had been sick of them enough. They tried to overcome their traumatic past, and they succeeded.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: ReWind, SheJumped, aspen and 7 others
FarAcrossTheWater

FarAcrossTheWater

Experienced
Sep 4, 2020
When I was in the psych ward in the US, the worst part wasn't the psych ward itself but the patients. I woke up every morning to deafening psychotic screaming at nothing and no one. My roommate threw feces at the wall and claimed only he could save the world by telling Obama to retrieve an ancient artifact from Africa. A patient followed me around threatening to kill me. Another patient ran around wearing the clothes of other patients and screeching like the devil. I get nightmares from that experience and find myself woken up screaming in the middle of the night about it. It ruined my life. My psychiatrist thinks I suffer PTSD from that experience.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Elysium Searcher, Symbiote, botanormal and 5 others
Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Student
Feb 6, 2021
When I was in the psych ward in the US, the worst part wasn't the psych ward itself but the patients. I woke up every morning to deafening psychotic screaming at nothing and no one. My roommate threw feces at the wall and claimed only he could save the world by telling Obama to retrieve an ancient artifact from Africa. A patient followed me around threatening to kill me. Another patient ran around wearing the clothes of other patients and screeching like the devil. I get nightmares from that experience and find myself woken up screaming in the middle of the night about it. It ruined my life. My psychiatrist thinks I suffer PTSD from that experience.

Surely there are some private, poor mental center and psych ward in Korea. But the press and the government are always observing them.
Citizens of SK had been sick enough them, as I said in my thread. Now they are a kind of old and shameful history and stigma rather.

Usually, people of SK obey an authority easily. They trust their government easily too. So I guess the reason why this ward was peaceful and usual.
My psych ward was run by a major medical university, and most of patients were not dangerous or serious cases.
So I guess maybe I had been fortunate and I met a good doctor and good medical teams in my good ward.

I am really sorry to hear that. I can't imagine that these situation occurs in a usual or average psych ward in Korea...

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
FarAcrossTheWater

FarAcrossTheWater

Experienced
Sep 4, 2020
Surely there are some private, poor mental center and psych ward in Korea. But the press and the government are always observing them.
Citizens of SK had been sick enough them, as I said in my thread. Now they are a kind of old and shameful history and stigma rather.

Usually, people of SK obey an authority easily. They trust their government easily too. So I guess the reason why this ward was peaceful and usual.
My psych ward was run by a major medical university, and most of patients were not dangerous or serious cases.
So I guess maybe I had been fortunate and I met a good doctor and good medical teams in my good ward.

I am really sorry to hear that. I can't imagine that these situation occurs in a usual or average psych ward in Korea...
The most unfortunate part is that this was in a "good" ward. I was hospitalized in a well off part of town in one of the country's top hospitals and sent to this "good" ward from the hospital because the hospital ran out of space. There were supposed to be even worse ones that they do not want patients going to.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, demuic and Blue Rose
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
The hospital I was in was fine enough, but I couldn't stand the place. Some staff were lovely, some didn't really care, some were two faced and one outright lied about me. Prick. And the security side of it was hilarious, you could probably sneak in an Apache gunship without too much hastle. You could also leave for a couple of hours then return without them noticing. I had more blades in my room than the Gillette factory.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: kitch, Symbiote, botanormal and 3 others
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
Once, the parents could send their children to a psych ward without their consent or any approval, but it is an old and shameful history now.
Wow SK is definitely much more ethical in how they treat patients... the forced drugging I suffered as a child is the reason I have to CTB, it injured my brain severely because of adverse reaction to drugs. Psychiatry here is very abusive, coercive, manipulative, etc... they just care about money and social control. The last time I was send to one about a month ago, it was against my will, I was put on handcuffs, beaten, shouted at, and I did nothing nothing "wrong" I was just crying because they wouldn't let me see my parents and the way the staff would try and control me was by beating me or shouting/ insulting me. They would also grab my journal and read my stuff without my permission. I was there against my will and I don't even have a diagnosed illness. psychiatry is a very shameful and abusive practice in the western world. I'm glad to hear things in SK are improving.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: eighthhouse, LiesAndLigatures, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
Wow SK is definitely much more ethical in how they treat patients... the forced drugging I suffered as a child is the reason I have to CTB, it injured my brain severely because of adverse reaction to drugs. Psychiatry here is very abusive, coercive, manipulative, etc... they just care about money and social control. The last time I was send to one about a month ago, it was against my will, I was put on handcuffs, beaten, shouted at, and I did nothing nothing "wrong" I was just crying because they wouldn't let me see my parents and the way the staff would try and control me was by beating me or shouting/ insulting me. They would also grab my journal and read my stuff without my permission. I was there against my will and I don't even have a diagnosed illness. psychiatry is a very shameful and abusive practice in the western world. I'm glad to hear things in SK are improving.

I am also suicidal because of my experience with psychiatry.

One nauseating layer in my onion of trauma is the fact the perpetrators believe they did the right they. Outright malicious actions are easier to stomach than harmful actions under the guise of "care".

Being treated as a non person while having my voice and autonomy taken away by people I should trust is an extra layer to process.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: TriggerHappy, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, LiesAndLigatures and 2 others
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
I am also suicidal because of my experience with psychiatry.

One nauseating layer in my onion of trauma is the fact the perpetrators believe they did the right they. Outright malicious actions are easier to stomach than harmful actions under the guise of "care".

Being treated as a non person while having my voice and autonomy taken away by people I should trust is an extra layer to process.

Wow I'm so sorry you had to go through that... I so relate... being harmed and abused by the people who are supposed to care the most about our wellbeing is another level of trauma...

Reactions: Blue Rose