J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
On Wednesday, I visited an old friend from the psych ward. We had coffee and spoke about our admissions. Before I left, he gave me weed and olanzapine (5mg). I took one when I got home, at approximately 2pm. After that, I took a shower and cleaned my room, and then I began to feel exhausted. I went to bed, and I woke up at 4pm, dazed and drenched in sweat. I went back to sleep until 6pm and then got up to cook dinner. I felt so disoriented and weak. For the next few hours, I kept falling back asleep, and then I finally went to bed at 9pm and didn't wake up until the next morning (Thursday). For the entire day yesterday, it felt like I had been hit by a bus. I felt so weak and so tired, and every time I stood up, it felt like I was going to fall over. Last night, I went to sleep at about 8pm and just woke up at around 7am (it's Friday morning here). I finally feel like myself again. Is this normal? I hate to suggest this, but could something have been put into the pill? I'm also on fluvoxamine, and apparently, it's not compatible with olanzapine. Could this explain it?

A

ashtoreth

empty
Mar 29, 2024
Have you taken olanzapine before?

If not, I'm not necessarily surprised. The half life is really long, and it wasn't even the smallest available dosage.
Once I was given a neuroleptic in a crisis intervention, levomepromazine. She said it's the smallest dose and I can take it for work to stay calm. Well, I took one of those little pills and slept about 24hrs, only being able to stumble weakly to the restroom a few times. Missed work too lol. Horrendous. So, yeah. Neuroleptics can do that. And everyone can have a different reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ53
landslide2

landslide2

Experienced
May 6, 2024
This reports the two as a "major" interaction: Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.
They're only guidelines but you may experienced some of those negative interactions.

• Informative
Reactions: JJ53 and ashtoreth
J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
Have you taken olanzapine before?

If not, I'm not necessarily surprised. The half life is really long, and it wasn't even the smallest available dosage.
Once I was given a neuroleptic in a crisis intervention, levomepromazine. She said it's the smallest dose and I can take it for work to stay calm. Well, I took one of those little pills and slept about 24hrs, only being able to stumble weakly to the restroom a few times. Missed work too lol. Horrendous. So, yeah. Neuroleptics can do that. And everyone can have a different reaction.
Yeah, I hadn't taken it before. Wow, it's crazy how much one pill can do.
This reports the two as a "major" interaction: Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.
They're only guidelines but you may experienced some of those negative interactions.
Thanks for the resource. At the time, I was considering taking two pills, so after reading that, I'm glad I didn't.

A

ashtoreth

empty
Mar 29, 2024
Yeah, I hadn't taken it before. Wow, it's crazy how much one pill can do.
I agree. Also, like @landslide2 posted, your blood levels were probably increased on top of that. You got off lightly šŸ¤Ŗ
At the time, I was considering taking two pills, so after reading that, I'm glad I didn't.
Careful with meds you don't know, start as small as possible and increase slowly. Be safe.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
I agree. Also, like @landslide2 posted, your blood levels were probably increased on top of that. You got off lightly šŸ¤Ŗ

Careful with meds you don't know, start as small as possible and increase slowly. Be safe.
Definitely, lol. I think, after this experience, I won't do anything like that again. I'm also not sure if it's the best idea to be hanging out with this friend either.

• Hugs
Reactions: ashtoreth
F

fatladysings

Aug 23, 2024
I'm on Olanzapine and I lost a day when I first started taking it. I had been taken to A & E by the police and the doctors in A & E gave me a box of Olanzapine. The police brought me back home and I took one tablet - 20 mg - at about 5am on a Friday morning, climbed into bed, and woke up on Saturday evening.

• Informative
Reactions: JJ53 and ashtoreth
A

ashtoreth

empty
Mar 29, 2024
I'm on Olanzapine and I lost a day when I first started taking it. I had been taken to A & E by the police and the doctors in A & E gave me a box of Olanzapine. The police brought me back home and I took one tablet - 20 mg - at about 5am on a Friday morning, climbed into bed, and woke up on Saturday evening.
20mg??? The lowest dosage available here is 2,5mg, and it goes only up to 15mg ... why did they give you that much?

F

fatladysings

Aug 23, 2024
I think because they would have checked my medical records and seen that that was how much I had been prescribed. I wasn't taking any meds back when the police took me to A& E but I've been taking Olanzapine for the past few years and have avoided any more trips to A & E.

20mg is what I'm on atm and I've been on that dose for years. I have persistent voices in my head and I think that that's why they have me on the maximum dose.

• Hugs
A

ashtoreth

empty
Mar 29, 2024
I think because they would have checked my medical records and seen that that was how much I had been prescribed. I wasn't taking any meds back when the police took me to A& E but I've been taking Olanzapine for the past few years and have avoided any more trips to A & E.

20mg is what I'm on atm and I've been on that dose for years. I have persistent voices in my head and I think that that's why they have me on the maximum dose.
Ah, makes sense now. I had the impression it was the very first time.
May I ask if the olanzapine helps/how it affects the voices? How do you cope with them? I apologize if this is intrusive, feel free to ignore it. I have never experienced psychotic symptoms and can only remember a short irl interaction with someone who did. I'll never forget it though and I'm curious.

• Hugs
PinballWizard39

PinballWizard39

Experienced
May 3, 2024
Olanzapine knocks you the fuck out. I used to be on it and it was increased all the way to the top dose of 20mg. I was used to it by then so it didn't bother me. I was taken off it abruptly though due to elevated liver enzymes, but I was put back on 5mg years later and it knocked me the hell out. I couldn't stay on it because I couldn't stay awake.

• Love
F

fatladysings

Aug 23, 2024
Ah, makes sense now. I had the impression it was the very first time.
May I ask if the olanzapine helps/how it affects the voices? How do you cope with them? I apologize if this is intrusive, feel free to ignore it. I have never experienced psychotic symptoms and can only remember a short irl interaction with someone who did. I'll never forget it though and I'm curious.
The Olanzapine helps to dampen down the voices a bit but I still have them. I cope with them by spending as much time as possible in a quiet room by myself. It's a bit weird but the louder the environment I'm in, the louder the voices are, and the quieter the environment I'm in, the quieter the voices are. I also cope with them by self harm to my lower legs and by stuffing myself full of junk food - both of those things make the voices go down for a while.

A

ashtoreth

empty
Mar 29, 2024
The Olanzapine helps to dampen down the voices a bit but I still have them. I cope with them by spending as much time as possible in a quiet room by myself. It's a bit weird but the louder the environment I'm in, the louder the voices are, and the quieter the environment I'm in, the quieter the voices are. I also cope with them by self harm to my lower legs and by stuffing myself full of junk food - both of those things make the voices go down for a while.
Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it alot.

Reactions: fatladysings and JJ53