Ariii

Ariii

Oct 29, 2023
Over the past few years, I've noticed a weird cycle when it comes to my social life. I'll go months without having friends at all before I get lonely. Then I'll find at least one, stay friends with them for around 2-6 months, until talking to them starts feeling like a chore. Then I'll eventually drift from them and stop taking and repeat. Even if I "take a break" or start talking to them less, it still feels like an obligation rather than something I enjoy. I feel selfish for dropping my former friends so quickly, and I do wish I could have a long-lasting connection, but I just can't.

I've consider the possibility of me having either autism or schizoid pd, but I don't think I fit the criteria that well. With autism, I lack all of the sensory and routine-based symptoms. And with schizoid pd, I do occasionally enjoy human interaction and I can feel connection to some degree.

Does anyone know what this could be caused by, or if it's just part of my personality? And does anyone know of a way to fix it? I feel like I'm hurting the people I become friends with, and they're all great people too, but if I keep trying to talk to them, even the thought of them existing makes me want to destroy my phone and barricade my house.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, AndroidAmongHumans, etherealspring and 3 others
dreamcatcher90

dreamcatcher90

Aug 3, 2024
I would try my best to maintain the connections with friends. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Soon you'll understand that the older you get, the fewer friends you have and it's getting tough even making new ones.

Reactions: Kheled Zaram, etherealspring, Eternal Eyes and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
This is kinda relatable. I haven't ever made any irl friends but I know that, if I were to make one, I'd get exhausted to talk to them then I'd wish for a new one and the cycle repeats

Reactions: Ariii
Ariii

Ariii

Oct 29, 2023
I would try my best to maintain the connections with friends. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Soon you'll understand that the older you get, the fewer friends you have and it's getting tough even making new ones.
Thanks, I'll try my best to do so when I can

Arahant

Arahant

Student
Jun 15, 2024
Well, what would it take for you to enjoy connection and friendship so much you felt drawn toward it?

Or is there something stopping you from it, like depression or anxiety?

Some people are just kind of potato brains when it comes to befriending and relationships.
If they are passive participants, it can feel like a tennis match where you only serve the ball over and never have it returned.
Nobody cares to be in that situation.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
Ariii

Ariii

Oct 29, 2023
Well, what would it take for you to enjoy connection and friendship so much you felt drawn toward it?

Or is there something stopping you from it, like depression or anxiety?

Some people are just kind of potato brains when it comes to befriending and relationships.
If they are passive participants, it can feel like a tennis match where you only serve the ball over and never have it returned.
Nobody cares to be in that situation.
I think usually it's just the ability to talk to someone freely, since usually it's pretty hard for me to do. And no, I don't think it's anything depression or anxiety related

Arahant

Arahant

Student
Jun 15, 2024
I would be happy to let you talk freely. DMs are always open.
I know it's not the same as in person tho.