Mustkeyknow

Mustkeyknow

Experienced
Feb 8, 2020
I know pot helps a lot of people with their depression, for me it was the opposite. I spent ten or more years abusing it and I developed severe depression when I tried to quit. I'm no longer smoking, but the depression obviously remains. I read online some studies about the dangers of weed. I mean anything in abuse is bound to create problems. I also read this book, the atlas on depression, where the dude is talking about how quitting cold turkey any substance can actually lead to suicide. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Reactions: Oyoy and falloutcarter13
falloutcarter13

falloutcarter13

Bury me, bury me...
Aug 1, 2020
Some people's brain chemistry is on a razor's edge, so much so that even a typically harmless psychoactive like pot can throw things out of whack. There's countless documented examples of weed pushing people over the edge into full blown schizophrenia, depression, and a host of other psych conditions. Pot advocates don't like to talk about this stuff (and I'm actually still an advocate, only emphasizing the risks for a percentage of the population.) But you can say the same thing about prescription drugs as well, which have the same effect on a lot of people. I haven't taken a mind altering substance since I decided for sure to ctb a couple of weeks ago, but I've got a strong urge to smoke pot tonight despite knowing it can only worsen my situation and will in no way help. That's addiction, lol.

Reactions: Shoopaloopadoop and Mustkeyknow
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Yeah I get that. If I smoke too much my dissociation makes itself very known and I can temporarily go insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustkeyknow
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I haven't experienced this myself even with heavy weed usage, but I have read that weed can trigger psychosis or even depersonalization in individuals who are predisposed to such conditions

Shoopaloopadoop

Shoopaloopadoop

Aug 13, 2019
While I've never experienced psychosis due to weed, smoking weed definitely makes things mentally worse for me rather than better. Which is strange considering it used to make me feel much better for the first 7 years that I spent smoking it. Whenever I was in a bad or suicidal mood, I would just smoke some weed & it would instantly make me feel better. But now whenever I smoke it, it just makes me feel worse no matter what type of mood I was in while sober. It's like it just intensifies my emotions now rather than healing my emotions like it used to. And considering I am never in a happy or even hopeful mood ever anymore, I just don't feel the need to smoke weed anymore either.

Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
I suffered from drug induced psychosis from weed for about 5 years. I now have PTSD because of it. It absolutely ruined my life. I hate how everyone things weed is a cure all for everything. It really isn't

Reactions: Bone, x~Sophia~x and Shoopaloopadoop
Shoopaloopadoop

Shoopaloopadoop

Aug 13, 2019
I suffered from drug induced psychosis from weed for about 5 years. I now have PTSD because of it. It absolutely ruined my life. I hate how everyone things weed is a cure all for everything. It really isn't
I completely agree that weed is NOT a cure all for everything. Even back when I used to smoke weed, if I smoked too much of it way too quickly it would give me terrible panic attacks. It always pisses me off when everyone always talks about how weed can "help with anxiety" but no one ever talks about how it can do the complete opposite & give some people unbearable anxiety.

Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
Even as a big weed advocate, I can say from personal experience that it does not always help. I've had periods smoking weed where my perception of reality has been completely distorted and I have an almost out of body and mind experience. It can be scary for sure. There have also been times I've smoked weed and I just watch stuff on YouTube and I'm relatively peaceful and even a little happy.

I think it's very heavily depends on where your head is at before you smoke it. It can project negative feelings and can suppress positive ones or vice versa. The main thing is knowing what you can tolerate and knowing when the best time to smoke it is for you.

Reactions: x~Sophia~x and Shoopaloopadoop
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020

my friends sister once told us, the drug that people ended up with mental health issues the most from was weed. she was a nurse. i can fully see why, i used to smoke it when younger and it definitely doesn't agree with me anymore, i won't go near it.i think its the worst drug there is, along with alcohol and tobacco and i am a smoker and i drink!

it seems to be the 'in thing' nowadays though. its like nearly every person you meet does it, that and cocaine.

i definitely can't advise people not to do it though, i've done plenty of drugs myself!!

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
Small amounts of weed makes me feel happier but if I'm not careful, it could easily fuck up my anxiety. The worst was when I overdid it on the edibles and ended up having an awful panic attack.

Reactions: Shoopaloopadoop