Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
The universe operates under the laws of physics, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, which dictate how matter and energy behave. We can observe and understand these laws, but we can't change them. They influence everything from the formation of galaxies to the biological processes within our own bodies. This is why we're bound by limitations like gravity and the speed of light

On an individual level, we're born with genetic traits and biological limitations that we didn't choose. Our genetics influence our physical and mental capabilities, our susceptibilities to certain diseases, and even aspects of our personality. While we can modify some aspects of ourselves through medicine and technology, many fundamental aspects of our biology remain beyond our control.

Beyond natural laws, we live within human-made systems like governments, economies, and cultural norms. These systems shape our lives in significant ways, often limiting our choices and freedoms. While humans have some influence over these structures, they are often so large and complex that individuals can feel powerless to enact meaningful change.

Just like a poorly-made game, it can leave us feeling dissatisfied, wondering why we even bothered to play in the first place. However, unlike a video game, we don't get the option to quit or start over. We're here, playing the game whether we want to or not until death do us part

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, lifeundersiege, alienfreak and 4 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
"We" are a result of those basic laws of physics that rule the universe how could we ever be able to change that from within the system?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
"We" are a result of those basic laws of physics that rule the universe how could we ever be able to change that from within the system?
In short i don't think it's possible to change the fundamental parameters of the speed of light, that's to say the speed of light is a fundamental constant of nature and cannot be changed:

While the universe operates under fixed physical laws, our understanding of those laws, combined with our consciousness and agency, allows us to enact change within the system. By leveraging our cumulative knowledge and embracing our role as active participants in the universe, we can navigate the constraints imposed by those laws and strive for a more profound understanding of our existence and impact. It is in this interplay of limits and possibilities that the essence of being human emerges, showcasing our unique position within the vast cosmos.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and Praestat_Mori
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Yeah, free will doesn't exist and a lot of things happen beyond our control. If I had free will, I should be able to escape the game of life but I can't

Reactions: WhatPowerIs
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Yeah, free will doesn't exist and a lot of things happen beyond our control. If I had free will, I should be able to escape the game of life but I can't
yeah well i think we have some choice i could walk to the shop and buy a can of pop or maybe i'll just make a coffee, but do we have the choice to kill ourselves how we would like nope we don't i couldn't just pick up a knife and stab myself to death because of the pain it would cause even tho i'd very much like to leave

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
True and it's kind of funny/pathetic how we try to convince ourselves otherwise. 'The world is your oyster. If you just work hard, you'll be rewarded.' People of faith presumably believe that some humans can defy natural laws and perform miracles. That death won't even affect us. We're immortal. When you think about it, what natural law haven't we broken in fiction? Superheroes manipulate or break every natural law going. Flight, time travel, regeneration, unlimited strength and power.

Still, that said- how much fun are games played in 'sandbox' mode? No challenges. Everything is available. Maybe it's just me but, I quickly tire of being able to do everything straight away. Maybe I'm a masochist.

Reactions: Darkover
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
consciousness and agency, allows us to enact change within the system
do you have confidence in that? how is it possible? I have a feeling that it might be so due to mysterious forces that are very far from our understanding, but i cant grasp it. It often seems/feels more convincing that i am just an observer

Last edited: