Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
we are just biological machines programmed by DNA and evolution. There is no objective right or wrong, there is no soul, humans have no value and there is no meaning to life

According to science, we are just machines that are created by biological molecules interacting, just like computers are built from transistors interacting. However, our only purpose is to pass on our DNA. Every part of our life, from love to our desire to achieving things, is to pass on our DNA. Love, because millions of years of evolution put in our innate desire to love so that we will have sex and pass on our DNA. Our desire to achieve is a result of evolution because women/men want to chose mates who have achieved things and have better traits to pass on their DNA. Our desire to be part of a group because without a group we die in the wilderness with no chance of reproduction. Our desire for religion because religion helps people be part of their tribe. Therefore, life has no meaning except to reproduce so you can pass on your DNA. That isn't even what your meaning is, so you have no meaning, that is only nature's meaning. And anyway, our life is meaningless anyway because we don't matter in the vastness of the cosmos. We are just on the scale of an atom compared to the solar system. And once we die, we will not be remembered and it will be like we never happened. Only the present exists and the past doesn't exist anymore, because it is in the past. So once you die, you cease existence completely and it is like everything you did so far never mattered.

• Informative
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, pthnrdnojvsc, Jarni and 5 others
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
When I was little, I didn't really feel like that. I didn't constantly think about who I am, why I exist, or what I should be like. Sometimes I want to be on the same wavelength as I was then.

Reactions: Jarni, GoatHerder and Darkover
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024
I'd love to get a glimpse of the human race in 100-200 years, when we would possibly have reached a point were we can dictate most if not all of our DNA. I wonder how people's perceptions on things that are typically considered 'evolutionary pressure' will change.

Reactions: GoatHerder and Darkover
kinderbueno

kinderbueno

Waiting at the bus stop
Jun 22, 2024
I agree with nearly all your points apart from the one on religion. Personally I think religion is just a coping strategy; a way for us to cope with this awful world while also keeping people under control

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, ijustwishtodie, untothedepths and 1 other person
untothedepths

untothedepths

Your right. Your life.
Mar 20, 2023
yeah this is pretty much it. im something that should've been a miscarriage but here i am. i have zero positives apparently, so i kinda just want to be shut down, please. existence is pain.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Maybe, but I still enjoy music, films, art, games, nice food. Imagine life without all those things. It would be even worse! Nothing to distract ourselves from how basic and brutal it all is. Maybe it doesn't make up for how lousy it is to be sentient but, I do feel stuff when I experience art. We give things meaning. Ok, they don't carry the same meaning for everyone but, it feels better than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: Jarni
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Just because a sunset can be explained in terms of radio waves and mathematics doesn't lessen its beauty or my experience of it or my feelings of awe.

The biological imperative (evolutionary purpose anyway as an animal on this planet) is to reproduce. Propagate the species. Nothing really matters to us unless we recognize its meaning. Whether life has meaning is somewhat independent of whether it is important on a cosmic scale. Importance is an evaluator-specific term. Life has the meaning that you assign to it, or that you find in it. It may also have meaning on a higher level, we do not know whether this is true or not. Most find meaning in impact on people since this is evo-favored through helping kin. If we are barometers of meaning, then the universe is not meaningless because we are part of the universe. Whether there is higher meaning than that, I do not know.

AFAIK humans are the only creatures that dwell on existential dread for extended periods.
I find that the dread usually starts as a beneficial avoidance mechanism, but can persist far too long and become detrimental.

Religion has served purposes and has different appeals. Sigmund Freud said something along the lines of, "god is an illusion, the result of an existential manifestation of our collective cultural yearning for a sense of parental power over a chaotic universe."

I see my region of the omniverse as having creative force, where an entity is often dramatically more than the sum of its parts.
I appreciate the omniverse having such regions, and me being in one.
Time is an illusion created by your limited perception - everything that can exist always exists and our consciousness can perceive only one point on one thread in this tapestry. The whole thread is a universe (out of the multi-verse). But, as Einstein said, it is an extraordinarily persistent illusion.

• Wow
Reactions: GuessWhosBack and kinderbueno
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
I'm not a machine, I'm the broken, useless first prototype.

• Aww..
Reactions: kinderbueno
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Ya rly awfl mchn rly awfl life nonsns ppl prtnd diff ya rly see how injury damage me no able do any ppl prtnd ok ok this lif all sbjct ya try injury damage see how 1d feel 1d disapre