kindawannacrylol

kindawannacrylol

Student
Jan 13, 2021
I feel like one of the main things stopping me from being able to ctb is my attachment to people and things that I'll leave behind. How do I let go? How do I detach myself? Should I take drugs to numb my emotions before I ctb?

• Hugs
Reactions: roju, Ani198, death137 and 4 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
You can take drugs to lessen SI but if you really strongly miss people and things then maybe you should reconsider? You'll know when it's time, you'll feel at peace.

• Love
Reactions: Rachel, siray, LittleBabyNothing and 3 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
As for me, what detached me from almost everyone who knows me is alcohol and my depression. (for example, I started not answering any messages and little by little they stop sending them)

Also, alcohol made me forget everything and just got in videochats such as omegle and met random people for a while there. It was fun. (I'm sober now)

I miss my friends and the old times but if I'm gonna ctb soon, I think the best is to be detached from them.

If you're planning to wait a bit more or ctb in a looong time, why not enjoy those relationships?

• Love
Reactions: blue_muse, NeverSatisfied, pthnrdnojvsc and 3 others
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
I gotta agree with Nymph, If you feel like you will miss people and things then maybe it's worth holding on for a while. If you still have love and hope then it's not too late
As somebody who has decided 100% that its time to go, I can tell you that I will not miss people or things. I am not concerned that I will regret it because I will be dead and once I'm dead I won't feel, think, know, miss or regret anything. I'm not even worried about the pain, I'm sure it will hurt to die but it will hurt less than being alive and it will be over much quicker. I am only scared that I might fail, that somehow I might not die and I will have to live damaged and unable to try again or that somebody may stop me.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: siray, Jarni, NeverSatisfied and 2 others
T

Toptock

Experienced
Jun 6, 2020
Emotional detachment is a complex and very hard thing to do. Some people are naturals when it comes to "Letting go" of people. One of the main things I've confronted in life is how easily people will move on without you. To you, they're your whole life, but to them you're just another name in a contacts list.

One thing you can do is analyze why you care so much about them, or their opinions or how they'll feel. Do you honestly believe they'll miss you? For how long? At what point will they move on? Do you think they'll change?

Think of all the people who've ghosted you, for example. In your life, how many people have you become attached to who have cut you off without so much as a goodbye? Things will continue spinning after we're gone. Some people get their names on benches, but how many people stop to read it? would it matter?

I'm not saying you should, or that you can, but letting go of all the things that you will miss is a hard thing, because part of you wants to miss them. They're things you attach meaning to, and when you're gone, that meaning is gone as well.

Before you pursue this, though, I'd suggest maybe exploring the source of your pain first. Maybe something is missing that you can find, or maybe something is there that shouldn't be. That's one reason I bring up analyzing why you would 'miss' things. Why? What does it bring to your life? Is it goodness? Or bad? Should it be something you miss? or can you do better without it

• Love
Reactions: Celerity, blue_muse and worthlessdisaster
N

neren

Jan 17, 2021
As you go farther into the a abyss of mental illness you'll either become obsessive or numb. Sometimes both. Gradually I have become more numb to things and obsess over others. Mainly obsessing over questions I have yet to answer before I ctb. Numb to everything that once brought me joy. It comes in time. You just have to wait it out. Maybe it's a sign you're not ready.

• Hugs
Reactions: wordsonscreen and blahblahhh
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
You can take drugs to lessen SI but if you really strongly miss people and things then maybe you should reconsider? You'll know when it's time, you'll feel at peace.
I agree, Ctb shouldn't be forced or rushed. It's like being a jedi and being one with the force. Everything should be okay before you go. I always tell people the happiest day of my life will probably be their worst.

Reactions: wordsonscreen and Toptock
B

blahblahhh

Jan 15, 2021
As far as detachment to physical things or objects practice minimizing your life. I started doing this years ago to where now there are not any physical objects I'm attached to. It is a practice though. I would say give possessions away in a meaningful manner but that could be a sign to some you're suicidal.

Reactions: Toptock
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Take Ambien chronically. That should help you along.

blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
Emotional detachment is a complex and very hard thing to do. Some people are naturals when it comes to "Letting go" of people. One of the main things I've confronted in life is how easily people will move on without you. To you, they're your whole life, but to them you're just another name in a contacts list.

One thing you can do is analyze why you care so much about them, or their opinions or how they'll feel. Do you honestly believe they'll miss you? For how long? At what point will they move on? Do you think they'll change?

Think of all the people who've ghosted you, for example. In your life, how many people have you become attached to who have cut you off without so much as a goodbye? Things will continue spinning after we're gone. Some people get their names on benches, but how many people stop to read it? would it matter?

I'm not saying you should, or that you can, but letting go of all the things that you will miss is a hard thing, because part of you wants to miss them. They're things you attach meaning to, and when you're gone, that meaning is gone as well.

Before you pursue this, though, I'd suggest maybe exploring the source of your pain first. Maybe something is missing that you can find, or maybe something is there that shouldn't be. That's one reason I bring up analyzing why you would 'miss' things. Why? What does it bring to your life? Is it goodness? Or bad? Should it be something you miss? or can you do better without it
Describing yourself as "Experienced" doesn't do you justice. Great advice all around.

Reactions: Celerity
bad_luck

bad_luck

Apr 17, 2021
I recommend Stoic philosophy, especially the writings of Marcus Aurelius.

Reactions: Toptock
W

Whole-Ad

Student
Apr 4, 2021
With friends, I became very slow to reply to their messages. It wasn't a deliberate thing, I just never had the energy to have a conversation and I'd leave the message for an hour, which then would turn into a whole day etc. Eventually people stopped messaging me.

For my family, I switched my work schedule so that I was at work when they were awake, and got home when they were asleep, so I hardly saw them. After a while of doing this it made it so much easier to just stop interacting with other people. I'd wake up, go to work, come home and sit alone since it was late at night.

As for other things like hobbies, depression sorted that one out for me. I've lost interest in literally everything, used to be a massive gamer but I haven't even touched my computer in 3 months. It's just not fun. I don't enjoy taking my dog out for walks anymore, so I don't do that. In fact, I don't do anything that was apart of my regular routine anymore, because I'm just not me anymore.

I don't think that you should force yourself to feel detached. I think it's better for it to be a natural thing, and that way you will know if it's actually the right time and if you are really ready to ctb.