memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
Exactly as the title says. Currently, I'm taking Xanax (1mg) and I'm afraid of seeking help because I'm scared they'll take it away from me.

I visited a Psychiatrist about 4 years ago, and he threatened to take it away from me and I wasn't even suicidal back then. Hell, I didn't he even bring it up.

He wanted to put me on Ativan (sorry, that is is a crap drug I've tried that as well), Xanax seems like the only thing that takes me away my grief/depression.

Also, he/she is going to ask, "are you suicidal"? In which case, do I lie? What if I say yes?

I read that people who say yes are admitted instantly? IS THIS TRUE?

The problem being I smoke. I can't imagine how awful and ironic it would be that they take away the very two things that are still keeping me sane. I would literally go apeshit crazy if I couldn't smoke.

Reactions: alienfreak
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
I read that people who say yes are admitted instantly? IS THIS TRUE?
no, they'll follow up and ask if you have a plan. you just need to be clear you're only having vague ideations, no plans and no intent, and you likely won't be hospitalized.

The problem being I smoke. I can't imagine how awful and ironic it would be that they take away the very two things that are still keeping me sane. I would literally go apeshit crazy if I couldn't smoke.
this depends on where you are, tbh, as well as how at-risk you are. private treatment vs public hospital for example.

Xanax seems like the only thing that takes me away my grief/depression.
i'm honestly surprised that after 4 years it's still working for you, but maybe i just build up tolerance fast. idk if you're taking it regularly/habitually but if it's just occasional use that helps you manage your mental health it seems like an overstep for the psychiatrist to threaten to take them away from you. even if it was unhealthy use, does he not realize how dangerous it is to quit benzos cold turkey? it's annoying when people don't understand that being an addict is so much better than being suicidal constantly.

I'm scared they'll take it away from me.
a therapist/psychologist cannot prescribe drugs or medication. you can speak freely about your drug habits to any therapist/psychologist, and unless they are worried you are going to hurt yourself (not just self harm) or others, you have a right to confidentiality, and they can't do anything to take your drugs away. if you are seeking therapy, that would be a non-issue, and i hope that this doesn't discourage you from seeking help. only a psychiatrist or a doctor is able to manage your medication.

Last edited:
Reactions: memoriesofyesterday
memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
no, they'll follow up and ask if you have a plan. you just need to be clear you're only having vague ideations, no plans and no intent, and you likely won't be hospitalized.

this depends on where you are, tbh, as well as how at-risk you are. private treatment vs public hospital for example.

i'm honestly surprised that after 4 years it's still working for you, but maybe i just build up tolerance fast. idk if you're taking it regularly/habitually but if it's just occasional use that helps you manage your mental health it seems like an overstep for the psychiatrist to threaten to take them away from you. even if it was unhealthy use, does he not realize how dangerous it is to quit benzos cold turkey? it's annoying when people don't understand that being an addict is so much better than being suicidal constantly.

a therapist/psychologist cannot prescribe drugs or medication. if you are seeking therapy, that would be a non-issue, and i hope that this doesn't discourage you from seeking help. only a psychiatrist or a doctor is able to manage your medication.
Thanks. This helps. I really don't know what to do anymore. He suggested moving the Xanax to Ativan. I told him Ativan doesn't work, that was a small side bar discussion so to speak. Regardless, he suggested another another benzo, cloreazapam or something like that.

It does work, I take it exactly as my GP initially prescribed it. 15 mg of mirtazapine and 1 xanax.