CentreMid

CentreMid

Sorry
Aug 23, 2018
I'm ethnically Chinese, but I was raised in Canada. I look like an immigrant but culturally, I'm white.

With the recent calls for the Canadian govt. to look into possible Chinese interference in our elections, I'm afraid of what will happen to me given the rise in anti-Asian hate. I've endured racism my whole life here, and it's only gotten worse, especially with the pandemic.

Regardless of whether or not the interference is true, this will only hurt the community I belong to even more. Luckily I live in an area where people haven't been beaten or assaulted for being Chinese, but I've heard so many reports of it happening in recent times, taking place in areas close to me, and I'm afraid the sentiments against Asians in my city will only escalate and lead to similar instances of assault or even worse, murder. While dying wouldn't be so bad, I'd rather do it on my own terms instead of someone else.

This is a growing fear of mine and yet another reason why I want to ctb.

To anyone who's read this far, thank you

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MeltingBrain, Citruscine, UseItOrLoseIt and 8 others
general bacon

general bacon

Mar 3, 2023
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this and have to fear for yourself. I'm half Hispanic and have had racist remarks thrown at me before. I'll never understand why people have to be so cruel to other people. If you ever need a friend you are welcomed to DM me *hugs*

Reactions: CentreMid
Octavia

Octavia

“I’d… rather kill myself.”
Mar 4, 2023
While that there has indeed been some occurrences of anti-asian hate crimes during the rise of COVID, I do not think that you should be too concerned by the Chinese police stations thing. They are designed to monitor and make sure that Chinese expats stay in line, which means that a random Chinese person is more likely to be on the receiving end of the secret police stations instead of being one of the perpetrators.

In other words, reasonable people are unlikely to bear a grudge against Chinese people in general, and racist people would be racist regardless of what pretexts they may use.

Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021
I don´t thinkt hat the Canadians are racists. For me racism means that someone thinks that he belongs to a superior race. In your case it´s just the other way round, the Canadians feel threatened by Chinese people, they are afraid that your poeple are superior.

Yankey Doodle

Yankey Doodle

Mar 2, 2023
Sorry to hear you're experiencing all of that. A majority of childhood in elementary was all the racist things as well like if I know Chinese/Kung-Fu etc.. Stay safe and hope things do get better for you!

shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
I personally think your concerns are justified (not that I want to contribute to your worry). From what I've heard, we're reaching red scare levels of paranoia even if people don't seem to be realizing it. I'm not Chinese but I am apart of a few different "minority" groups here, so I think I understand the anxiety and dread you're feeling (to a degree).