-w-

-w-

Traveler
Nov 10, 2023
Got to talk to a couple doctors before I can get some and start feeling better but hopefully I will in the next couple of weeks.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: DyingToDie123, Lostandlooking, Praestat_Mori and 5 others
Heartaches

Heartaches

Apologizing for my life and ever entering yours
May 6, 2021
Wish you well, hope you get those antidepressants soon

• Love
Reactions: Dangerdonkey333 and -w-
nivis...

nivis...

Oct 17, 2023
Got to talk to a couple doctors before I can get some and start feeling better but hopefully I will in the next couple of weeks.
I don't recommend anti-depressants, my friend used to take them, and it made him feel... so gone and weird. I'd say he just got addicted to them and it was even worse...
In my opinion it's better to go outside into the sun and release adrenaline, maybe workout to make yourself feel better about yourself. Pills don't affect your mind but only your body. they only make you not feel the pain, but it keeps gathering up anyways.

-w-

-w-

Traveler
Nov 10, 2023
I don't recommend anti-depressants, my friend used to take them, and it made him feel... so gone and weird. I'd say he just got addicted to them and it was even worse...
In my opinion it's better to go outside into the sun and release adrenaline, maybe workout to make yourself feel better about yourself. Pills don't affect your mind but only your body. they only make you not feel the pain, but it keeps gathering up anyways.
Yeah I've been taking like 30-40 minute walks at night, also gonna pick up the pills tomorrow.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
I'm glad to hear that you're getting medication, I hope they help out. Just remember that you might not always get prescribed the best antidepressant for you the first time around, just give it some time and see how you feel, and maybe talk to your psychiatrist in a few weeks about whether it's working or not.
Bad experiences can happen sometimes with SSRIs, it sounds like your friend either responded poorly to that medication or antidepressants in general. I wouldn't dissuade people from trying medication if they intend to get better though. Just to clarify, antidepressants are not addictive—although sudden cessation does lead to withdrawal symptoms, SSRIs don't release endorphins in your brain that overwhelm your endogeneous opioids in intensity. Spending time outside exercising is very good for you, and the antidepressants can help with gathering the motivation for doing so, but there is no meaningful separation between your mind and your body—your consciousness is just another chemical process of your body and is affected by various factors in your biology. There is nothing inherently wrong or unnatural about taking medication for your mental health, and they have certainly helped me greatly in the past.

Medications don't work for everyone, but they're definitely worth a shot. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!

Reactions: Cloud Busting, rosenwasser, DyingToDie123 and 2 others
Scattered-Soul

Scattered-Soul

It was an indescribable pain
Oct 2, 2023
Bad experiences can happen sometimes with SSRIs, it sounds like your friend either responded poorly to that medication or antidepressants in general. I wouldn't dissuade people from trying medication if they intend to get better though. Just to clarify, antidepressants are not addictive—although sudden cessation does lead to withdrawal symptoms, SSRIs don't release endorphins in your brain that overwhelm your endogeneous opioids in intensity. Spending time outside exercising is very good for you, and the antidepressants can help with gathering the motivation for doing so, but there is no meaningful separation between your mind and your body—your consciousness is just another chemical process of your body and is affected by various factors in your biology. There is nothing inherently wrong or unnatural about taking medication for your mental health, and they have certainly helped me greatly in the past.

Medications don't work for everyone, but they're definitely worth a shot. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!
I don't wanna make it seem like I respond in every single thread regarding antidepressants, this just happened to be at the top of the recovery section and I decided to take a look. I also don't wanna insert myself into the convo uninvited but sharing this might actually be helpful so who knows.

I really wish it ended at "bad experiences can happen sometimes" and "responded poorly" because calling it that in my case would be a huge understatement. I don't wanna go into too much detail so I don't end up writing an essay but antidepressants caused toxic encephalopathy for me and left me with severe brain damage that's not only permanent but also progressive, I basically acquired dementia along with variety of other issues that have destroyed my life and have made suicide something that's inevitable for me. There are no words in any human language that could accurately describe the nightmare I've been living in since then. There's no trying different medications in this situation, it's not a simple case of "oh that didn't work, let's try another one", when this happens to you, you essentially become chemically lobotomized and you're just doomed. And while this is extremely rare, I wish people weren't so dismissive of such experiences. I used to be a person with dreams, feelings, mind and soul too. I know a lot of other people who've had the same happen to them and while we're low in numbers, we're also humans and don't deserve our pain and suffering to be swept under the rug. This isn't directed at you specifically by the way, I'm just putting it out there. Everyone wishes to think "there's no way that could happen to me" but if it does, after that it's just too late.

Despite all of this, I'm not anti antidepressants and I fully acknowledge that most people benefit from those meds. I know several people in my life who've been greatly helped by them (and I'm sure you've been as well as you say) which is why I, myself, decided to give them a try. I sincerely hope it all goes well for OP, I wouldn't wish my experience on anybody.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: rosenwasser, DyingToDie123, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
I really wish it ended at "bad experiences can happen sometimes" and "responded poorly" because calling it that in my case would be a huge understatement. I don't wanna go into too much detail so I don't end up writing an essay but antidepressants caused toxic encephalopathy for me and left me with severe brain damage that's not only permanent but also progressive, I basically acquired dementia along with variety of other issues that have destroyed my life and have made suicide something that's inevitable for me. There are no words in any human language that could accurately describe the nightmare I've been living in since then. There's no trying different medications in this situation, it's not a simple case of "oh that didn't work, let's try another one", when this happens to you, you essentially become chemically lobotomized and you're just doomed. And while this is extremely rare, I wish people weren't so dismissive of such experiences. I used to be a person with dreams, feelings, mind and soul too. I know a lot of other people who've had the same happen to them and while we're low in numbers, we're also humans and don't deserve our pain and suffering to be swept under the rug. This isn't directed at you specifically by the way, I'm just putting it out there. Everyone wishes to think "there's no way that could happen to me" but if it does, after that it's just too late.
Shit dude, I didn't know that that was a possible outcome of taking antidepressants. I'm sorry if I made you feel invalidated or like I was trying to sweep severe side effects under the rug with those statements. There seems to be very limited literature on the matter. Thanks for posting this, even if it shouldn't necessarily dissuade OP from trying medication, it is an important perspective we should take into account.

• Love
Reactions: Scattered-Soul and Lostandlooking
-w-

-w-

Traveler
Nov 10, 2023
Just got the prescription for them today, gonna pick them up later. Pretty sure it was an SSRI but I'm starting off with only about 25mg so I don't think I'd get any severe side effects. I'll keep this thread updated if I experience anything and I hope it goes well! :)

• Hugs
Reactions: rosenwasser, DyingToDie123, Sylveon and 1 other person
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
Good luck op! And be careful as well. I've had bad experiences with antidepressants. Like many people on the forum. But I can think of 4 people in real life who said they helped them.

Be prepared for feeling sick in the first few weeks of starting them. Be prepared for sexual disfunction. That *might* dissipate after a while. My doctors all said it could take several months for it to take effect. If anything doesn't feel right. Talk to your doctor. And if you decide to stop taking them please take it very slowly. Like insanely slow. I hope you have a good doctor or psychiatrist who can help you with all this.

I sincerely hope you fall into the category of people that are helped by antidepressants without any lasting side effects. Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: Cloud Busting and rosenwasser
nivis...

nivis...

Oct 17, 2023
I'm glad to hear that you're getting medication, I hope they help out. Just remember that you might not always get prescribed the best antidepressant for you the first time around, just give it some time and see how you feel, and maybe talk to your psychiatrist in a few weeks about whether it's working or not.

Mmm it's not addictive like drugs, it's the "feeling shit part" after being dulled for so long that made it hard
ye
Yeah I've been taking like 30-40 minute walks at night, also gonna pick up the pills tomorrow.
yeahhh but u need the sunn!!!!

rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
Hey @-w- I just noticed this post after posting about my own (bad) experience with antidepressants so I just wanted to drop in and give some support. It's hard finding help for yourself and saying you want to try out antidepressants (I know how hard it was for me to go get the meds). You can be proud of yourself for having courage and getting the support you need (and deserve).
I know many people who have been greatly helped by antidepressants and I hope that you will soon be one of them 🫶🏻
As other posters have said, there is no border between our mind and our body and therefore it only makes sense that there are medications addressing mental health issues.
I wish you a smooth experience, as little side effects as possible and a peaceful recovery. Take care 🩷

• Love
Reactions: -w-, UtopianSoliloquies and Lostandlooking
-w-

-w-

Traveler
Nov 10, 2023
Started taking them about a week ago it's been going well so far, they haven't kicked it just yet but I haven't had any bad side effects. Found out they were the same ones my Mom took before she passed away from cancer so they should work on me just because of genetics and all that. Gonna update this thread more after they kick in. Have a good one! <3

bleedingbxnes

bleedingbxnes

fight decay, perfect nothing
Nov 20, 2023
hey if it's your first time on antidepressants, here's some advice:
-make sure you are honest with your doctor!! everything is super different. lexapro did nothing for me, burproprion did nothing for me, but they worked for my friends! if your doctor doesn't change them after a while of them not working, i'd say find a new one.
-they may affect your body! mine make me constipated. research the side affects. you got this
-try your best to take care of yourself. it helps. it's so hard but being clean is so nice and helps so so much. if you can!
-get fresh air!! it's so so so nice and makes you feel really nice :)
warm wishes!! i hope they help <3

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Hope they work out for you! If the side effects don't go away in two months, then you should probably get off it.

Here's what I know from myself and friends' experiences:
  • The most common one is Lexapro/escitalopram I believe, but withdrawal can be painful. It's generally the best tolerated SSRI and a super old one.
  • Prozac/fluoxetine is the one for people that don't want to gain weight, but it causes appetite loss.
  • Zoloft/sertraline is also popular, but there's a possible an unwanted side effect that it makes you feel floaty all the time, and since you're unable to feel anxiety you're unable to care about things, like you can fail school but not even care.
  • Wellbutrin/buproprion is the most common atypical anti-depressant when SSRIs are ineffective or unwanted.
Most doctors don't consider antidepressants to be addictive, but you can experience withdrawal from quitting them cold turkey. Dependency and addiction are two different things. It would be misinformation to say it's addiction.

Last edited: