MelancholyDolly

MelancholyDolly

Lolita ♡ I am a human doll
Oct 28, 2023
Recently I've been really into vtubers and visual novels. I look forward to those things everyday but remembering that I'm watching/playing this stuff to feel like I have friends or am in a cute romantic relationship kind of feels like shit.

I feel so lonely that I've resorted to being a totally antisocial loser who drowns themselves in parasocial delusions and dating sims. Even though I know it's not real it makes me happy, because without those things I'd really be utterly alone.

Escapism is pretty difficult when you know it's an escape from your problems and loneliness. All I can think about when watching/playing recently is "wow I'm so fucking lonely"

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Phantomygg, The Final Solution, sukuna and 8 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Escapism is more common than people think, they just don't think of it as escapism. Movies, tv shows, video games… all of it can be called escapism. The only difference? It's common place to enjoy those things and thinking through it will cause them to rethink their lives.

Then again, if you ask me, escapism is a necessary part of life. On its own, the world is boring and full of pain. If I didn't have video games to look forward to or a book I haven't completed reading then what would be the point in it at all? I'm only sticking around right now thanks to music, obsessive daydreaming, and the new GTA.

• Love
Reactions: nopointinlivingg, Ash’Girl, MelancholyDolly and 2 others

A clown 🤡
Jan 2, 2023
If i had enough energy i would say if you wanted to chat or something but i think the most likely thing would be that my useless brain would make something like that almost impossible.

• Hugs
Reactions: MelancholyDolly and Abyssal
LonelyStarrySky

LonelyStarrySky

they/them, menhera
Oct 27, 2023
yeah the same way is for me, because I am so obsessive and reliant on relationships and very very mentally ill I get tossed aside and people just leave me so I only have video games to play because nobody wants to do anything with me. I also made a post about video games a while ago, but yeah I just watch vtubers when I feel the need for relationship and cuddles which is almost every day, I just feel so lonely and miserable.

• Love
Reactions: smeltingtheiron, MelancholyDolly and 0000000000000
depthss

depthss

wikihow
Dec 12, 2023
Recently I've been really into vtubers and visual novels. I look forward to those things everyday but remembering that I'm watching/playing this stuff to feel like I have friends or am in a cute romantic relationship kind of feels like shit.

I feel so lonely that I've resorted to being a totally antisocial loser who drowns themselves in parasocial delusions and dating sims. Even though I know it's not real it makes me happy, because without those things I'd really be utterly alone.

Escapism is pretty difficult when you know it's an escape from your problems and loneliness. All I can think about when watching/playing recently is "wow I'm so fucking lonely"
I empathize with you fully, I'm also very lonely and while I don't play dating sims or watch Vtubers, I do watch other streamers and YouTubers to feel like I have friends. As well as daydreaming for hours a day about having friends.
It really is difficult, I always feel very embarrassed and lonely when I think about the fact that I'm pretending to have friends by watching YouTubers or thinking.

Reactions: MelancholyDolly
vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Do any of you experience the meloncholy of a series ending? Saying goodbye to people who have become a part of your day to day.

For me it is streamers and YouTube mostly. Especially series where a group of friends get together. It's almost like I'm there with them.

Books might have been the greatest source of comfort for me. You often get a view from inside another person's perspective. It feels like I get to understand another mind intimately. Experience things through them. Over the days or weeks I read a book, or longer for series, I have these people in my life I regularly meet with.

Reactions: MelancholyDolly
T

the_summoning

Nov 8, 2023
yeah the same way is for me, because I am so obsessive and reliant on relationships and very very mentally ill I get tossed aside and people just leave me so I only have video games to play because nobody wants to do anything with me. I also made a post about video games a while ago, but yeah I just watch vtubers when I feel the need for relationship and cuddles which is almost every day, I just feel so lonely and miserable.
I don't watch vtubers or anything but I totally understand how you feel. You'd think we'd be used to exclusion and loneliness but it's very crushing. I have a hard time forging and keeping friendships just due to me being alone for so long that I find it hard to socialize. I don't have consistent therapy so I don't really have the tools to pull myself out of it. It's gotten to the point where I'm always, at some level, passively suicidal.

Reactions: smeltingtheiron and MelancholyDolly
smeltingtheiron

smeltingtheiron

meat-aholic
Dec 17, 2023
To be honest, I'm genuinely afraid of vtubers and try to steer clear of them. I feel like if I watch them and find one I adore I'll get immediately suckered into the parasocial nature of the industry and end up becoming one of those obsessive fans who spends $50.00+ on superchats constantly. I know for a fact that I have the exact brain chemicals and life-circumstances to become one of those types of fans. The way they act is too idealistic, saccharine, and perfect that I feel this lingering thought of there's no way this vtuber could ever like me if they talked to me one on one and the phrases of affection and friendliness isn't genuine but perfectly manufactured as to what I want to hear as a person who's very lonely.

Codename_Joryu

Codename_Joryu

Dec 15, 2023

True, I remember escapism being my favourite way of coping with how shitty my life is when I was younger. I used to download a bunch of mods to DDLC which changed the game into visual novel dating sim. I also unironically used to listen to those girlfriend rp ASMR videos. It got so fucked up that I could literally spend my entire day just lying in bed and imagining cute romantic scenarios in my head. Now that I think about it, it was cringy as fuck, but I don't blame myself or anyone with similar issues for that.

IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
VTubers can be fun if you're lonely or if you're learning Japanese. I can totally see why people watch VTubers. I do think it's best to balance out the time you spend watching them though, don't need to watch every single broadcast and become obsessed. Always great to read a book or go for a nature walk during free time.