Darklife200

Darklife200

Sep 8, 2024
The only method I have is VSED which doesn't have a very popular name here.

However as someone from the Netherlands this is actually a feasible way to go about it because doctors need to help you with it if you desire.

Also a lot of people under 60 yrs old have done it successfully here as care during the process is a right. Lots of articles about people that have heavy mental health problems doing this.

I even knew a girl that was around my age that did it successfully.

• Hugs
Reactions: ladylazarus4, pulleditnearlyoff and Talvikki
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
Lots of articles about people that have heavy mental health problems doing this.
I'm skeptical about VSED being a feasible method, as described here [link]. Can you link some of the articles you read that back up what you say about people who have mental problems doing VSED successfully?

Edit: feel free to link articles in Dutch too.

Last edited:
Darklife200

Darklife200

Sep 8, 2024
I'm skeptical about VSED being a feasible method, as described here [link]. Can you link some of the articles you read that back up what you say about people who have mental problems doing VSED successfully?

Edit: feel free to link articles in Dutch too.
Sorry my memory was a bit bad but most of the articles talk about the fact that people who are under 60 years old are now allowed to choose a VSED path as the recommended age went down.

Publicly one of the most notorious cases in the Netherlands is the one from Noa Pothoven a quick google will bring you there.

Also as I said I knew a girl who did it when she was 23 years old, you just have to believe me on my word for that (she was the daughter of my parents's friends).

Anyway what I want to say is the VSED in the Netherlands is a option but I am not saying it's an easy one. People who try mostly give up but doing it and preparing it well with your GP and a hospice can help you through the uncomfortable symptoms.

So what I want to say is that it is a viable option and it actually can work with enough care and preparation, most of the people here just try it on a whim in a hotel or at home where they can be found and are forced to eat and drink. Speaking about it with your loved ones and a caregiver can turn a non feasible option into something that is possible but extremely hard.

Reactions: Talvikki and avoid
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
So what I want to say is that it is a viable option and it actually can work with enough care and preparation, most of the people here just try it on a whim in a hotel or at home where they can be found and are forced to eat and drink. Speaking about it with your loved ones and a caregiver can turn a non feasible option into something that is possible but extremely hard.
There have been many cases on here of people being very determined and last weeks. If you don't have access to sedatives and strong pain relief then you will eventually cave at your own will, not others. I can't speak for the culture in the Netherlands as I am unfamiliar, but in most cultures if you ask your family to assist you in an agonizingly slow death over the course of weeks in which they must help you not give in to the innate urge to eat and drink while you slowly slip mentally and become more ravenous they would say absolutely not and send you to the psych ward. And while I'm not familiar again with the hospital system in the Netherlands, unless a doctor is willing to prescribe you sedatives and pain relief when you tell them your plan then you will eventually give into the unbelievably strong urge to eat and drink anything you can get your hands on.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
Darklife200

Darklife200

Sep 8, 2024
As I get many reactions here is a recent news article about this it is in dutch however, note the fact that there were young people who successfully did it, thats the reason the age recommendation disappeared.
Article

There have been many cases on here of people being very determined and last weeks. If you don't have access to sedatives and strong pain relief then you will eventually cave at your own will, not others. I can't speak for the culture in the Netherlands as I am unfamiliar, but in most cultures if you ask your family to assist you in an agonizingly slow death over the course of weeks in which they must help you not give in to the innate urge to eat and drink while you slowly slip mentally and become more ravenous they would say absolutely not and send you to the psych ward. And while I'm not familiar again with the hospital system in the Netherlands, unless a doctor is willing to prescribe you sedatives and pain relief when you tell them your plan then you will eventually give into the unbelievably strong urge to eat and drink anything you can get your hands on.

About this culture thing and slow death, yes many dutch people who are pro choice don't find this a agonizing way to go. This is the reason I choose this method, my loved ones understand and we have been preparing for it for 3 years. They would rather see it done in a "natural" way then finding me with a noose around my throat.

Because again, getting medication and care when you walk this path is a right it's in the GP code of conduct. Still this doesn't make it an easy path but much easier than in other countries.

Reactions: ladylazarus4 and Talvikki
Talvikki

Talvikki

Warlock
Nov 18, 2021
The Dutch Medical Association (KNMG) no longer advises against stopping eating and drinking as a method of ending life for people under 60. This is stated in a recently updated guideline for doctors and other healthcare providers.

In the previous version of the guidelines from 2014, stopping eating and drinking was discouraged for people under 60 years of age. However, since there have been cases showing that it can be successful for this group, the revised guidelines no longer discourage it. The KNMG does caution that, for this age group, the process may take longer and be more difficult, mainly due to better physical condition and stronger feelings of thirst, making it harder to stop drinking.

Family doctor Eva Bolt, who researched this topic and contributed to the revision, explains: "This change is especially beneficial for young people with severe psychiatric conditions and a desire to die. By removing the age limit, I hope that healthcare providers won't immediately dismiss the idea of consciously stopping eating and drinking during conversations about death. Euthanasia is often not an option for this group for various reasons, and as a result, discussions about death tend to end there. Patients may then feel isolated and start making plans alone. Consciously stopping eating and drinking can be a humane alternative for those with a strong wish to die."

However, Bolt believes this method of ending life will remain rare among younger people, mainly because it can be a challenging process and healthcare providers will still be cautious.

It's estimated that in 0.5 to 1.7 percent of all deaths in the Netherlands, people intentionally stopped eating and drinking to hasten death.

Brochure: Stopping Eating and Drinking (Dutch)

Brochure: Stopping Eating and Drinking (English)

https://www.knmg.nl/actueel/nieuws/...andreiking-bewust-stoppen-met-eten-en-drinken

• Informative
Reactions: avoid
Darklife200

Darklife200

Sep 8, 2024
The Dutch Medical Association (KNMG) no longer advises against stopping eating and drinking as a method of ending life for people under 60. This is stated in a recently updated guideline for doctors and other healthcare providers.

In the previous version of the guidelines from 2014, stopping eating and drinking was discouraged for people under 60 years of age. However, since there have been cases showing that it can be successful for this group, the revised guidelines no longer discourage it. The KNMG does caution that, for this age group, the process may take longer and be more difficult, mainly due to better physical condition and stronger feelings of thirst, making it harder to stop drinking.

Family doctor Eva Bolt, who researched this topic and contributed to the revision, explains: "This change is especially beneficial for young people with severe psychiatric conditions and a desire to die. By removing the age limit, I hope that healthcare providers won't immediately dismiss the idea of consciously stopping eating and drinking during conversations about death. Euthanasia is often not an option for this group for various reasons, and as a result, discussions about death tend to end there. Patients may then feel isolated and start making plans alone. Consciously stopping eating and drinking can be a humane alternative for those with a strong wish to die."

However, Bolt believes this method of ending life will remain rare among younger people, mainly because it can be a challenging process and healthcare providers will still be cautious.

It's estimated that in 0.5 to 1.7 percent of all deaths in the Netherlands, people intentionally stopped eating and drinking to hasten death.

Brochure: Stopping Eating and Drinking (Dutch)

Brochure: Stopping Eating and Drinking (English)

https://www.knmg.nl/actueel/nieuws/...andreiking-bewust-stoppen-met-eten-en-drinken
Thank you for translating it!

Reactions: Talvikki