D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Anyone have any advice for a functional free VPN or proxy server website to watch zone 1 videos on YouTube in the UK?
I've had some limited success but it never lasts. YouTube always seems to figure out that it's a proxy.

almost_dead

almost_dead

Arcanist
Aug 7, 2020
Have you tried Windscribe ?

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
my husband (who is actually very good with computers and taught me everything i know) says any free vpn will work. i mean.....you just need it to think youre living elsewhere youre not exactly trying to hide anything BUT that.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thanks, I'll give those a shot. I've tried pads of free vpns and proxy servers. Hola worked for 2 days then stopped. Others won't load any zone 1 restricted videos. One played the sound but no image.
I'm wondering if the free versions are purposefully limited or if YouTube just has so that can identify a proxy. I had one where Google gave me an automated message telling me I was being suspicious.
All I wanna do is watch old American shows I remember from my childhood but the damn things have antiquated zone 1 licensing embedded in them. I mean ffs who cares these days?
I'll keep trying different services and I'm sure I'll find a way.

Reactions: Viro_Major
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
The one provided by RiseUp (unless you're on iOS, then N/A)
You can count on it. It's donationware, if you're satisfied

Reactions: Throwawaysoul and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I tried out a few things and nothing worked. I tried Proton VPN from the makes of Protonmail. That didn't work either on the paid for trial version so I contacted them. They replied to just keep trying different servers as YouTube tends to block them.
I'm on the free version now, just tried a server in Texas and it works, I can watch zone one YouTube videos. I expect it will be hit and miss though.

• Wow
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Tough luck !

Give a go to Epic browser maybe. Chromium based, it has a built-in free proxy, with which you can switch between about 10 global servers.

2F8A3373 9F9C 46CF AE64 8F12C8D03FD1

Mullvad VPN offers a demo of 2-3 days on request. After, 5 € /mo. It's a lot less spread out than Proton.

Last edited:
Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
Windscribe works well for me! I liked them enough to end up paying for unlimited data. Google is really good at detecting VPNs, though. I haven't had any issues on Windscribe but I know it can be hit or miss for sure.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thx guys, duly noted. Proton was working well though funny side effect, I got locked out of my Hotmail account hahaha Microsoft decided I might have been hacked so I had to prove it was me to get my email back.
I actually use Opera on mobile which has a free proxy, but that didn't work. Will keep Windscribe in mind and may try Epic as it's always nice to try a new browser.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Epic works well and their browser proxy works and plays YouTube vids. :smiling:
There's is always something though, isn't there? It seems to really shrink the text in posts just on this site. I've tried wacking the site prefs up to extra large text and now have, well, extra large sub forum headings etc but only moderately larger text in posts.
Epic also has the added benefit of not logging me off and closing the private window and proxy when I use another app then try and return to Opera.
Ah well, it's not too bad, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Glad it worked (half-way anyway). Are you using it on mobile or computer ?

Forgot to mention https://brave.com which is probably better overall. It offers private tabs with built-in Tor routing (the exit node will act similarly as a VPN for YT) that you can toggle on/off - just not yet on mobile (for the Tor obfuscation) but planned to later

19F469A2 F04E 40A1 AB6F AAB465B494F5

However, unlike Tor, I'm not sure you can toggle the node relays by the press of a button

C9E80C47 B9EF 4B2B A3BC 30FFFB98CD23

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'd considered Brave, but I'm looking for the proxy/browser VPN on mobile. Brave might be my next trial, though Epic is behaving better now, after a reinstall (it was crashing and couldn't restart).