L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
This technically should be in some autism forum, but this is the only place I really feel safe without feeling like I have to sensor my feelings.

I have autism and, in everyone else's perspective, I just threw an adult tantrum and stormed off to my room. And now I want to die.

My biggest pet-peeve is cheating, and I'm known for getting really upset when others cheat in a game with me (even as my partner or in ways that benefit me).

Today, one of my family members cheated in a game with me and I was already almost at my social limit playing a game that requires communication and everyone's involvement (like charades).

When they cheated, I tried to argue that their points should be taken away for that card (literally like 2 or 3 points out of the collective 200 points between two teams) and everyone started (loudly) arguing at me all at once (at least 3 people arguing at once) and I was pushed way over the limit and instantly way too overstimulated to function.

No one was yelling (including me) but it still freaked me out, and after about 40 seconds of trying to argue back and then continue the game, I had to get out of there, so I threw my cards down and rushed into the guest room I'm staying in, closing and locking the door behind me.

I'm still in here (it's been about 15 minutes) and I want to die a) because I'm overstimulated and on the verge of a meltdown and b) because they're all thinking of me as immature and childish (I'm college age and still viewed as a kid) and I just hurt my image for all of these extended family members I almost never see.

I'm also very close to hurting myself and I'm really really stressed out.

I didn't plan to leave early just in case my social limit was reached because usually I can announce it with an "I'm tired, I'm going to bed, see y'all in the morning", etc. but this was unexpected and sudden so it caught me off-guard, and now I've proved that I'm an immature child to my extended family.

• Hugs
Reactions: kitty_kat, DyingToDie123, yyytry and 5 others
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
I'm sorry you had to go through this. It seems an aweful situation that you had been pushed to.
I'm also autistic and I understand how hard it is situations like that. I always avoid family gathering for a reason.

Its not your fault, I'm sure you did your best. You're already pushing beyond your limits just to be there.
They should be more considerate of you. Its not immature of you.
I'm 28 and I still have my meltdowns when I reach my limit. This is how we are, its not about maturity. They don't know how it is to be overstimulated. How intense the emotions can be. They shouldn't judge you, and if they do, don't take what they say in consideration.

I know its shit to have the image being stained, but people should know that we are different, and its not our fault. Its just the result of the intense situation they got you into.
Take your time to calm down and relax on your own. Things will get better. I don't know your family, but they may understand the situation.
I wish you the best

• Love
Reactions: lessthanperfect
hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
i understand how it feels to go through that and i'm so sorry you did. i really hate when people just see it as a tantrum, for me it just makes the situation worse.
your feelings are understood an real though. it's not overreacting it's just the way our brains work and that's okay, even if it can seem off to others sometimes. being in those situations can be so stressful, your brave for even just being there. sometimes certain things can just set you off. i hope you can calm down soon though, for your own sake you don't deserve this.
your family should understand but unfortunately (at lest for me), a lot of people don't. it's hard to imagine how intense the emotions can get, and how real they actually are.
i hope you feel better good luck <3

• Love
Reactions: lessthanperfect
G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
Its hell living with minimal social skills, i feel you, ive been suffering for 43 years.

That's why its call society , without social skills, you have a very low quality of life.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and hi-okbye
DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I don't have autism (I don't think) but honestly this would have made me want to do the same, I get so irritable with family especially that little things can just tip me off the edge. Sorry this happened to you.

• Love
Reactions: hi-okbye and lessthanperfect