A

Alnilam

Aug 29, 2022
You have to remember the people who make video games are people too--and the stories and characters they chose to bring to life is because it deeply resonated with them. It takes a lot of work to make a game, so they did it for a reason. If there's one thing I've come to realize whether it be irl or online is that people are miserable this day and age, and they turn to their distractions and talents as a means to escape or vent. Keep this in mind when playing the video games you enjoy. Especially the ones that have a rich lore, fleshed out characters and worlds.

An important thing to note: Nothing in a video game is just pointless filler or purely for aesthetic. Question everything.

Here are some games I think people should really play or at least look into their stories--which with a quick youtube search, might lead to a 17min to 40min video at most.

Little Nightmares l and ll: A game where children have to navigate their environment and outwit the monsters that were created as a product of their environment. In Ln1 you play as a little girl named Six (note that she does not have a name only a number), as Six you have to solve puzzles and play a game of cat and mouse in order to survive. In Ln2 you play as a little boy named Mono (note that his name also means one but also can be short for Autophobia, or monophobia, the fear or extreme anxiety of being alone.) Keep this in mind while playing the game.

Alice Mcgee - Alice Madness Returns: A woman named Alice Liddel has her wonderland destroyed by a dark force called the Infernal Train, (note that the train is portrayed as a cathedral) which houses the game's final boss, Alice's psychiatrist Dr. Bumby (homeowner of a children's home) a.k.a The Dollmaker. In this game you encounter various symbotic enemies that reflect Alice's mental state, merging both her reality and her imagination in order to cope with survivors guilt over her family's untimely demise, especially that of her big sister Lizzie.

Fran Bow: A little girl loses her parents and is taken to a children's asylum--where they carry out horrible experiments, she manages escape by enlightening herself with the use of an experimental red pill known as dopamine. In it you'll encounter a lot of strange creatures that brings Fran's sanity and reality into question. Also the morality and intentions of those who had placed her in their care.

Bioshock Series (One of my favorites holy crap): A utopic underwater city called Rapture is thrown into chaos as a chemical substance known as Adam and Eve allows the cities inhabitants to rewrite their genetic code. In the midst of this, the fight between the haves and the have-nots ensues and a civil war breaks out in a fight between individualism and collectivism--both of which are tainted by power, ego and greed. There's a lot of religious undertones, cultists, seedy and shady underground businesses--y'know, much like our own reality.

There's other games out there of course, like Portal, Mass Effect, Inside, Unravel, Soma, Transistor, Borderlands, Binding of Isaac, Detroit Become Human, Detention, The Cat Lady, Assassins Creed--the list goes on, you get the gist, but these were just some of my favorites and biggest eye-openers.

Upcoming games I'd recommend: Bramble.

Movies I'd recommend: Coraline, 9, Maleficent, Studhio Ghibli movies, Nope, Us, Getout, The Matrix (it's a metaphor, not to be taken literally) and the Candyman 2021, because it perfectly highlights the deadly cycle that humans have created and perpetuated out of hate, ego and greed, lack of love, honesty and understanding, and also because of that last haunting scene where The Candyman turns to Teyonah and says ''tell everyone''. Bioshock Infinite attempted something similar, but the message kind of got lost in translation.

Also music too, they may all seem like pointless love songs but they're not. Most of the time it's someone trying to beat it over peoples head what's actually going on behind the scenes. Oh and Spongebob has a lot of gold nuggets and social commentary too, Alex Bale covers a lot of them. Stephen Hillenburg and his team are geniuses, may he rest in peace.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, CTB Dream and Domimi
Domimi

Domimi

End of all hope
Apr 20, 2020
I always thought that fiction most of the time is just a medium to express the writer deepest feelings. Most people are bored by philosophy and sermons, so most artists acknowledge the fact that they would have a hard time describing their values through these means, so they resort to art, which is more entertaining, fun and spontaneous. Your mention of "way to escape and vent" reminded me of Final Fantasy, where a good deal of the villains are nihilists with promortalist tendencies. What I can understand from this is that the writers themselves may have struggled with nihilistic thoughts at some point of their lives, and by writing histories that reinforce the need to not succumb to this nihilism they get a sensation of relief and can share their values with a large public. In the case of horror writers, like you said, they are mostly trying to alleviate their fears by putting them out through their art (You simply can't convince me that H.P Lovecraft, per example, was not terrified of his creations and stories). This may happen even if they aren't horror-focused. I remember reading somewhere that Akira Toriyama inspiration for Freeza - the most iconic DBZ villain - was the creatures he saw in his nightmares.

I'm sure almost everyone that is into writing can relate to these things, it is very difficult to write something that isn't personally connected to you. Once, I started to write a story about a heroine going on a crusade against the whole world to destroy it and free everyone of pointless suffering. After some good media consumption and research I realized that this "heroine" as in fact a "villain" LOL I know it's hillarious how naive and self-absorbed I was to realize this only after seeing other people's works. In that moment I was like: "... Really? Then we are the bad guys after all? LOL" I also see that such a history would be very badly received by society, as no matter how you explain the philosophy behind it, toxic positivity is everywhere and people generally are from averse to straight up disgusted by tentatives to normalize things like antinatalism and promortalism, so the best way to express these philosophies in art would be using villanous characters or totally fucked up and distopyan worlds with evil gods or something like that.

Also, thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely look into some of it!

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and Alnilam
A

Alnilam

Aug 29, 2022
I also see that such a history would be very badly received by society, as no matter how you explain the philosophy behind it, toxic positivity is everywhere and people generally are from averse to straight up disgusted by tentatives to normalize things like antinatalism and promortalism, so the best way to express these philosophies in art would be using villanous characters or totally fucked up and distopyan worlds with evil gods or something like that.

Also, thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely look into some of it!
I agree, I think horror can be a wonderful medium to express different philosophies but I also think it's equally as important to acknowledge where these philosophies originate from--there's a true story behind every medium presented here. Whether it's intentional or not, when people start to delve deeper into the stories or circumstances that inspired these works of art, it brings the nature of our reality and societies into question. Like you said, there's a lot of toxic positivity that's only purpose is to silence anything and anyone that poses a threat to their worldviews. That's why I think horror portrayed in these whimsical and aesthetically pleasing settings--like almost fairy-tale-esque worlds is just as Mary Poppins says, ''a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down''. The same reason why Jordan Peele started out as a comedian but turned out to be a brilliant writer, director and horror enthusiast. I think its become more about spreading awareness in order to break this toxic and viscious cycle that creates nihilists in the first place. Which is a good thing--because if more people are made aware of how we got here, what's going on around them and why, while also being presented with different perspectives, they can better empathize, learn from it and come to a solution that'll hopefully lead to change.

I don't know if that change will make a difference in the trajectory we're heading with the world growing warmer and sicker by the day--but I try to keep faith in human ingenuity and the future generation, though it's become increasingly more difficult. If they can just learn from our mistakes instead of perpetuating it before it's too late, maybe we can reverse or undo some of the harm we've afflicted on each other and the planet.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and Domimi
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Ths fiction real effect need careful some fiction trauma some ok this not joke. Understand how every put mean that why hate how some wrie abuse make fun char etc, this not like. Also many write artis human most human awful terrible many no empathy think cruel ok, many put profile natalist this annoy ruin work. Need careful think had enough bad fiction make bad feel long