P

PatheticRylee

Mar 24, 2020
if I were to video call a friend while they CTB so they aren't lonely, would I get in legal trouble? i've heard i can be prosecuted for manslaughter for that so i'm scared to. I'm located in Pennsylvania since it varies by state.

Last edited:
PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
The law can vary from state to state and country to country. Ultimately, in a solo suicide, only the person who dies is liable for his/her own death. Depending on your role and what you say on the video call, you could be an accomplice. It would also depend on the aggressiveness of the police and coroner in your area. Your friend's family might also be so distraught that their response in healing is to go after you, even if you were just "there" for your friend and not encouraging him/her to die like the much-publicized case of the teen girl who was deemed responsible for encouraging her boyfriend's suicide. Add to this the potential for authorities being able to get a copy of the video call, if that's possible.

While I applaud you wanting to be there for your friend -- I think most of would like to have someone by our sides even if virtual. But I feel you're opening yourself up for some potential issues and headaches and questioning.

I'm not an attorney so I don't know the actual legal issues. This is just what my intuition tells me. :heart:

P

PatheticRylee

Mar 24, 2020
The law can vary from state to state and country to country. Ultimately, in a solo suicide, only the person who dies is liable for his/her own death. Depending on your role and what you say on the video call, you could be an accomplice. It would also depend on the aggressiveness of the police and coroner in your area. Your friend's family might also be so distraught that their response in healing is to go after you, even if you were just "there" for your friend and not encouraging him/her to die like the much-publicized case of the teen girl who was deemed responsible for encouraging her boyfriend's suicide. Add to this the potential for authorities being able to get a copy of the video call, if that's possible.

While I applaud you wanting to be there for your friend -- I think most of would like to have someone by our sides even if virtual. But I feel you're opening yourself up for some potential issues and headaches and questioning.

I'm not an attorney so I don't know the actual legal issues. This is just what my intuition tells me. :heart:
I guess we could just plan to CTB together on a call but idk how they'd feel about that. I appreciate the help, im gonna hope someone who knows the law is in here and can help, im gonna edit my original post to say my state as well.

• Love
Reactions: PJFord
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
You aren't going to get a definitive answer, as it would vary by state and municipality (of you/friend). Are you crossing state lines? If so, now you have 3 different sets of law to worry about. Even excluding criminal law, now you have to consider civil liability. The odds of anything happening are low, but no one can tell you it is zero, especially on the civil front.